Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1600930 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3060 on: January 20, 2011, 04:09:15 pm »

I, too, would rather enjoy that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 20, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »

Me three.
Even a negative finding. like: Added X today, it did not work at all, so it was removed again.
Though some elaboration on the goal and reason for failure would be prefered.
(Not that I think Tarn is not comminicating because of stagnation/failure. My theory is a belated bout of end-month project.)

Also it is wuffo-wup.

are people drunk or somethingh? spelling errors are proliferating as fast as cats.
i am. :p

*Areyar enterprises does not condone or encourage substance abuse of any kind*
*Areyar needs alcohol to get to sleep after a worki ng day, though.*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:07:29 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

I'm looking forward to clay!  I hope it will be easy to make a lot of blocks for a dirt poor mud village.

I agree about more weapon types being a good thing.  Stuff like wooden javelins that make decent hunting and fighting weapons.

I just like the thought of starting with a primitive dwarven society and advancing it over time.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:27 pm »

Yea, give us more short contentless updates.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 21, 2011, 08:59:29 am »

Yea, give us more short contentless updates.
You heard him, lads.

Blood Updates for the Blood Update God!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:55 am »

I would support more frequent but less interesting updates. I crave DF development update like a methhead craves crystal.

But anyway, I'm not as psyched about clay as others are. Of course, there has been people longing for it, I understand this. But compared to other features developped before and planned after, it looks pretty dull.
Now towns are fed by their own production ! Now towns try to connect to a mercantile network ! Now, it's very dangerous to sleep outside at night and, oh, you can finally target your strikes, a very long-awaited feature ! Tomorrow is the time when caravans will be roaming the world, trading goods to anyone who can afford them, rescuing dying fortresses from starvation, defending themselves from bandits, but now is not the time ! Now is the time for POTTERY.

D'uh.

Don't get me wrong, it is Toady's project and until now he has kept it alive and kicking in an astounding way, so he's the only one who can tell what is good and needed for the game. But my selfish self can't help but think clay is a little dent in the growing awesomeness fn the latest features implemented.

Although the joke about dwarves becoming hairy potters kinda saved the day.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3066 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:10 am »

Dunno, for me pottery is big enough feature: another industry to set up and organize.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 21, 2011, 10:55:40 am »

I'm sure pottery will be awesome in ways not yet comprehensible. As with some other features that sounded bland or uninteresting when they were about to be implemented, and then you fiddle with them and go "Holly balls!" and cry tears of joy.
"It's unpossible!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: January 21, 2011, 11:00:27 am »

Or buggy liquid sorrow.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3069 on: January 21, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »

He could also be busy doing the rewards for people who donated in the last drive. Those might take a while. Or making the animal RAWs.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 21, 2011, 04:12:55 pm »

More resource types are important if you want non-dwarven civs to HAVE all the stuff necessary to support themselves.  We can't all make stuff out of platinum.

Better site finder interface stuff etc. is important if you want the game to retain at least its current amount of playability and even get better.

Also, it's bad form to say "I thought about adding this feature / tried it out, and it didn't work, so I removed it".  Gets peoples' hopes up or disappoints them.  Leads to more havoc than it's worth.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 21, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »

I already get more news about Dwarf Fortress' development than any other game.  The current rate of a post every few days is extraordinary, in my opinion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: January 21, 2011, 06:36:35 pm »

Personally, I suspect that, at this very moment, toady is running a game where he builds the pyramid of Giza out of clay bricks.  Well, not exactly the pyramid at giza, but something of similar scale, only with lots of twisty passages in the middle.  Then, his next post is going to be something along the lines of "I made a pyramid of death.  It is the site that is spawned when a necromancer decides to start making his undead legions.  They automatically show up on the map, so they are easy to find.  They sometimes connect to underground features.  If you kill the necromancer and wield his staff, his undead minions might not attack you.  Or they might all converge and hunt you down.  Heh, heh, heh.  Three Toe has now wasted 10, er, 11 adventurers trying to clear out a pyramid."
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: January 21, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »

Also, it's bad form to say "I thought about adding this feature / tried it out, and it didn't work, so I removed it".  Gets peoples' hopes up or disappoints them.  Leads to more havoc than it's worth.

Yeah, I get that with Minecraft, and it always makes me sad when something I was looking forward to didn't make the cut, regardless of the other cool things that did make it in. With DF, the release has no set date and no specified content, so it's always a pleasurable surprise.

And as far as the caravan arc, I'm excited by it in much the same way a homeowner is excited about a solid foundation. A lot of cool stuff is going to be built on this, but by itself it isn't terribly sexy.

Unless you regard chicken farming as sexy.

Which I do.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3074 on: January 21, 2011, 08:55:32 pm »

Personally, I suspect that, at this very moment, toady is running a game where he builds the pyramid of Giza out of clay bricks.  Well, not exactly the pyramid at giza, but something of similar scale, only with lots of twisty passages in the middle.  Then, his next post is going to be something along the lines of "I made a pyramid of death.  It is the site that is spawned when a necromancer decides to start making his undead legions.  They automatically show up on the map, so they are easy to find.  They sometimes connect to underground features.  If you kill the necromancer and wield his staff, his undead minions might not attack you.  Or they might all converge and hunt you down.  Heh, heh, heh.  Three Toe has now wasted 10, er, 11 adventurers trying to clear out a pyramid."

Argh, I read that in EXACTLY the same voice as I read the dev log.
Which is nothing like Tarn's actual voice.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 342