Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1596780 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2085 on: November 16, 2010, 12:02:26 am »

Is three any chance of restoring compatibility with older Windows versions?

As another user mentioned (albeit in the wrong thread), the game now fails to launch on XP-SP1 with the following message:
edit: Guys bugs into the Bugtracker please. Toady has installed it exactly for that purpose.

Yeah, this one was already reported.
It's not necessarily a bug though, is it? Toady could have decided not to support old OSs anymore. I hope that isn't the case, but it's possible so I thought it made sense to ask.

But XP is superior to 7 in many ways...and I won't get able to acquire an upgrade for my OS for quite a while...

Edit: I'm using sp3.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:21:15 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 16, 2010, 02:16:44 am »

Oh yes, guts popping out. They are still attached, and trail behind the creature, right? Should that be the case for eyeballs? I'd imagine that an action violent enough to extract an eyeball would generally be enough to automatically sever the optic nerve as well.

No, not necessary. A blunt trauma to the orbit (bone around the eye) could expand it enough to tear the muscles, thus releasing the eye, but wouldn't damage the optic nerve. A baseball took out my great-uncle's eye that way.

Also, a spoon.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #2087 on: November 16, 2010, 03:46:41 am »

But XP is superior to 7 in many ways...and I won't get able to acquire an upgrade for my OS for quite a while...
So at least keep your copy of XP remotely up to date. If you're still on SP1 or older, you should know that SP3 has been released quite some time ago and it is of course a free update. If you also consider the many security fixes included in SP2 and SP3...

EDIT: for further reference, SP2 came out August 25, 2004, and SP3 came out May 6, 2008.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:51:29 am by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 16, 2010, 04:07:04 am »

Toady, do you have plans to give more information in the sites and populations export?

things like location?

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: November 16, 2010, 04:27:33 am »

Quote from: Chatlog
A Zombie Goast: But really
A Zombie Goast: If the Dwarf grows attached to a weapon
A Zombie Goast: Or piece of armor
A Zombie Goast: And the Dwarf dies
A Zombie Goast: That thing should become haunted
A Zombie Goast: Or whatever they call it when an object has a ghost

Given that bodies and souls are now separate, I'd say that this kind of thing is an eventual goal.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:45 am »

I just came to think of it, hydras should have multiple attacks in a turn. They have seven heads, and each should be able to strike separately. I don't mean make them seven times as fast, because that would make their body and limbs faster too, but find a way for them to act separately.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: November 16, 2010, 06:18:13 am »

Another question for the Toady One.

When livestock are incorporated, will we be able to train war and hunting animal's. also will there only be farm animals or will we be able to purchase dog's and cat's?

I don't see why he would remove features we already have, especially since most of the changes besides the new animals will only be in adventure mode towns.
I think he meant in adventure mode anyway.

Yeah, I was talking about adventure mode, It would make hunting/killing a lot easier if i had a fast animal to slow them down while I go in for the kill. it would be nice if they could follow simple instructions like stay, attack. that kind of thing.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: November 16, 2010, 06:22:34 am »

But XP is superior to 7 in many ways..

nope
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: November 16, 2010, 06:41:05 am »

But XP is superior to 7 in many ways..

nope

judging from the fact that he's at sp1, it's superior in being free or in working with less that 1024MB memory. but I agree that removed that constraints 7 is superior in every possible way.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: November 16, 2010, 07:19:48 am »

I've run XP on SP2/3 with 512MB of RAM before. There's just no excuse.

... Hell, a few days ago I saw the strangest thing: Someone running Windows XP SP1 on a circa-2000 laptop with a 5.5GB hard disk, 128MB of not-even-DDR SDRAM, and a PIII @ 600MHz. I looked it up later, and that model cost $2500 in 2000.

At any rate, if you're on SP1, you're missing out on a lot. Like, say, lacking security updates that came out eight years ago. There's really no good reason to support it, although it would be interesting to see why that crash is happening in the first place.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:51 am »

I have Ubuntu. Ha!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: November 16, 2010, 09:29:24 am »

Yay! New version!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: November 16, 2010, 10:31:20 am »

I have Ubuntu. Ha!
Debian Sid.  Bow before my superiority, peasant!

Also, yay new version, thanks Toady!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: November 16, 2010, 10:46:44 am »

Boys stop the derailing before toady has to sweep the thread ones again. Bugs go on the bug-tracker and OS discussions onto the appropriate sub-forum. I know its an icky issue but we should keep FotF remotely on topic (which in my opinion includes some idle speculation *cough cough*).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:31 am »

Will attributes like social awareness, empathy or linguistic sense have any influence on how successful meat shield hiring attemps or quest requests are? Will we see social skills for adventure mode soon?
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 342