Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1597100 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1515 on: October 25, 2010, 07:03:53 am »

I understand the "Money" and "Genetic" aspect but usually in myth and legend there is actual power in being the son or daughter of someone who is also great.

I just like the dramatic reasons...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 25, 2010, 07:58:18 am »

I'm the only one really anxious for this release? I don't know if it's because I really like roguelikes and really hoped for a more fleshed out adventure mode.

Thanks for the answers, Toady.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 25, 2010, 08:05:28 am »

regarding showing terrain, you don't need lots of color levels, all you need is two:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1518 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:13 am »

I'm astounded that we managed to talk so long about ' great lineages' without mentioning Charles the great.

Though in his case it was mostly him being absolutely awesome and his kids just riding on his succes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:17:06 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 25, 2010, 10:04:50 am »

Ok if we throw ancient German Emperors into the Object-Testing-Arena (your link is brocken btw.) i choose Frederick the first "Barbarossa" because he has an awesome legend and a beard worth to be called Dwarven.

Also his description in earths legends mode goes like this:

Description of Barbarossa asin the "Friderici I imperatoris"

His character is such that not even those envious of his power can   belittle its praise. His person is well-proportioned. He is shorter than   very tall men, but taller and more noble than men of medium height. His   hair is golden, curling a little above his forehead... His eyes are   sharp and piercing, his beard reddish, his lips delicate... His whole   face is bright and cheerful. His teeth are even and snow-white in   color... Modesty rather than anger causes him to blush frequently. His   shoulders are rather broad, and he is strongly built...

Thus it reveals that this world is just another iterarion of DF.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1520 on: October 25, 2010, 10:19:58 am »

Ok if we throw ancient German Emperors into the Object-Testing-Arena (your link is brocken btw.) i choose Frederick the first "Barbarossa" because he has an awesome legend and a beard worth to be called Dwarven.

Also his description in earths legends mode goes like this:

Description of Barbarossa asin the "Friderici I imperatoris"

His character is such that not even those envious of his power can   belittle its praise. His person is well-proportioned. He is shorter than   very tall men, but taller and more noble than men of medium height. His   hair is golden, curling a little above his forehead... His eyes are   sharp and piercing, his beard reddish, his lips delicate... His whole   face is bright and cheerful. His teeth are even and snow-white in   color... Modesty rather than anger causes him to blush frequently. His   shoulders are rather broad, and he is strongly built...

Thus it reveals that this world is just another iterarion of DF.

fixed.

And suddenly the current description system seems a whole lot more awesome.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 25, 2010, 10:34:42 am »

Yeah, that's one of the main points of the mythology generator, and the answers are intended to be different each time.  It'll take a lot of work and underlying mechanics to make that meaningful, but that's the idea.  We are looking forward to people being at the places they go when they die and being able to visit and so on, like those myths where people try to rescue their loved ones from the land of the dead, and all of whatever else.

Or stubbornly march into the land of the dead with seven dwarves and a caravan.  :D
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 26, 2010, 08:11:39 am »

Is Toady on his month end break?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:34:04 am by thvaz »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 26, 2010, 09:19:53 am »

Yes which is good. This way we can maditate over the latest devlogs and he can gather his sanity and Mind for a better and faster dev cycle. Toady deserves some days off and i cant say that the "3 weeks working, 1 week holiday" is a bad one. He also does his month-end-project in this time whatever it is. If you are interested n that there is already a dozen threads on guessing what said project is.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:43 am »

I'm asking because he always says on the devlog when he is leaving for his break. He has all the rights of some days of rest, this was not the point of the question.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: October 26, 2010, 11:21:35 am »

Hey its ok  :D . Sometimes even toady forgets to announce his montly routine ;)

Proud to be a Furry.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 26, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »

Well apparently he's still working.

These latest updates are making me want to try out adventure mode again. The last time I spent a half hour training throwing and then got killed by the first pack of wolves about 2 minutes after decided to explore.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »

Hopefully in the actual release the tower will be so chock full of warriors that you can lead an army of your own there for epic fights!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:33 pm »

Whoa, those castles are a massive improvement over the current "keeps" etc.  Definitely going to try out the next release.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:58 am »

Finaly something worth a "one-man"-siege.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 342