Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1597912 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3855 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:10 am »

The development page states that the next release is going to focus on the towns. Are you planning to do the non-human civ dwellings as well?

Question was already awnsered.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:19:57 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: February 27, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

I'd love to see salt in DF.  Historically it was extremely important (and a major trade good).

I think it's in there in some sort of obscene way, since you can have a god of salt. Although it might just be in the vocabulary files.

The development page states that the next release is going to focus on the towns. Are you planning to do the non-human civ dwellings as well?

Apparently this is happening much later on in the army arc.
Blargh.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:30 am »

I'd love to see salt in DF.  Historically it was extremely important (and a major trade good).

I think it's in there in some sort of obscene way, since you can have a god of salt. Although it might just be in the vocabulary files.

Apparently this is happening much later on in the army arc.

Salt is a material that forgotten beasts, demons, and titans can be made out of. Also, where did you hear about the non-human civ dwellings being in the army arc? I would like to read.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: February 27, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »

This quote's from before the current release.

Quote from: nenjin
So in the flurry of the caravan and army arcs, are you going to rough out the dwarven, elven and goblin civs so there's something for people to see when they venture out to those sites? Or does that play into too much political/civ-specific design you don't want to get bogged down in yet?
Quote from: metime00
What kind of structures/towns will dwarves and elves have if they get visible settlements in the next update?

There will most likely be something there into the army arc.  It's not in for the next update.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3859 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »

oh... alright, I'll ungreen my question then.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: February 27, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »

This quote's from before the current release.

Quote from: nenjin
So in the flurry of the caravan and army arcs, are you going to rough out the dwarven, elven and goblin civs so there's something for people to see when they venture out to those sites? Or does that play into too much political/civ-specific design you don't want to get bogged down in yet?
Quote from: metime00
What kind of structures/towns will dwarves and elves have if they get visible settlements in the next update?

There will most likely be something there into the army arc.  It's not in for the next update.

I was the one that asked the question that got answered that I don't remember. D'oh :P
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: February 27, 2011, 02:38:36 pm »

Salt is a material that forgotten beasts, demons, and titans can be made out of.

There's also rock salt the sedimentary layer stone.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »

yes.
but rocksalt is treated as any other type of non-economic stone type. It does not melt in the rain for example. I have seen mountains of rocksalt exposed to the elements...this was not in an arid ecology btw.
having sweetwater ponds on naked rocksalt is even weirder.  :-\

It would be interesting if a salt golem would dissolve(quickdrown-rot) in sweetwater. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »

Where in inits is option for animal population cap? I can't find it. I believe the default is 50, but I'd like to set it to 20.

It's not in the inits.  It appears to be a hard-coded limit in the code.  You can't change it.

Has it been considered to turn this into an init.txt or d_init.txt option?

I'm sure more than a few players would appreciate that. I assume this would be simple to code. (The game would just have to read a variable from init.txt instead of using a constant.) And it's not like doing this would be something that players could abuse or would ruin the atmosphere of the game. We can already control population caps for dwarves and children.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: February 27, 2011, 11:58:40 pm »

Where in inits is option for animal population cap? I can't find it. I believe the default is 50, but I'd like to set it to 20.

It's not in the inits.  It appears to be a hard-coded limit in the code.  You can't change it.

Iirc, there is indeed a site cap for each animal in the relevant creature's raws.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: February 28, 2011, 12:09:38 am »

POPULATION_NUMBER is a different thing to the fortress mode animal cap (which can't be changed).

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:22 am »

Are there any plans to make invader interaction with animals more than 'maim kill burn'? Maybe they're leave your livestock alone, thinking they can just take them when they've wiped you out? Or maybe they would try and steal them for their own?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: February 28, 2011, 09:09:54 am »

... and you should be able to see dead megabeasts continuing their megabeast stuff in Legends mode (They seem to be dropping like flies in this release).

Actually, I'm wondering how much of the increase in megabeast deaths is intentional? When you fixed the comeback bug, you made no mention of the increased number of megabeast deaths itself being a bug, but it seems off to see an elf kill a slade colossus (quick mod to test this out).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: February 28, 2011, 10:00:58 am »

In my last generated world two megabeasts were killed by elves...and both of them came back due to the bug.

Why megabeasts doesn't reproduce yet? I thought Dragons and hydras were waiting for eggs. Do you plan to change this soon?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:03:10 am by thvaz »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: February 28, 2011, 10:32:06 am »

Has it been considered to turn this into an init.txt or d_init.txt option?

I'm sure more than a few players would appreciate that. I assume this would be simple to code. (The game would just have to read a variable from init.txt instead of using a constant.) And it's not like doing this would be something that players could abuse or would ruin the atmosphere of the game. We can already control population caps for dwarves and children.

Iirc, there is indeed a site cap for each animal in the relevant creature's raws.

Actually, I'd like this more in the creature raws than in the init.  Having a population cap of 50 for bunnies as well as for elephants will get wierd the more that size differences play a role.  Creatures you tend to just stuff into cages en masse are not going to have the same amount of lag problems, while dralthas that completely vacuum up your entire gass supply, need different responses.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 342