Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1597825 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2535 on: December 14, 2010, 12:37:08 am »

Putting in guesses for Reindeer and Pheasents.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: December 14, 2010, 12:40:20 am »

Hmm, so sometime soon we should be getting eggs and vegetable oil.

I realized something.  We can already make "biscuits" with flour in them.  Usually, this isn't too close to a planet Earth recipe.  Now, however, we just might have flour, eggs, oil, and milk.  Yes!  We can do it!  We can finally put together all the ingredients to make a . . .

. . .

. . . "roast."  Wait a minute.

In other news, mentioning this to the person on the phone with me right now got the plaintive declaration "I have a cake roast!"

--Rexfelum

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:43 am »

My money is on rabbits, elephants, honey bees, and ostriches.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: December 14, 2010, 02:26:52 am »

We already have elephants. Sure, they aren't domestic animals (unless you're a bloody elf), but I think the devlog implied these would be entirely new critters to the game.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2539 on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:03 am »

Rabbitsplozion!

I hope that "hair" butchering result is now raw material for wool thread instead of cluttering stockpiles...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: December 14, 2010, 03:19:10 am »

Will that oil burn when exposed to fire/heat? Could we also have candles and torches from this update?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: December 14, 2010, 04:35:31 am »

toady has said that fire would need a partial rewrite of the Dwarf Ai about handling of fire. So i guess fire isnt in for this arc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2542 on: December 14, 2010, 04:49:15 am »

This new blog post excites me because it seems to imply that a wonderful agrarian fortress could actually work. Now all we need is for Dwarves to clothe themselves properly.
And for cloaks and robes to stop absorbing way too much incoming slashing and blunt damage. (spread over large surface area -bug) (Try robes vs. vest&pants arena battle)

ps. a few more animals in vanilla DF is very unimportant to us modders. But a get-thread-from-animal feature...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:51:21 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: December 14, 2010, 04:57:04 am »

Will 'milking' be replaced by some generic animal resource gathering skill of some sort?
I'm a bit excited about wool myself, but maybe it's just because I hate the cold.
I wonder how it would work, You would obviously need to process the wool at one of the workshops to get thread or yarn perhaps?

Clay could be nice as well to make pottery... however, since dwarves don't use plates, cups, jugs, or anything of that sort to eat it seems it would be a bit pointless maybe? It would probably be easy, put chests in a dining hall and they will put silverware in them and get happy thoughts from using them while eating? Would probably just be a pain though.
What other use would Clay have? Alternatives to buckets?

You know what I'd really like that I think I've mentioned before? A 2x2 or 3x3 'building' that's essentially a huge-ass barrel that your dwarves can fill with a whole ton of booze. They could just go to the barrel, fill their mugs, and then enjoy rather than dunking their heads in smaller barrels... Or be more old-fashioned and stick their dirty mouths to the faucet and chug from the tap.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:01:46 am by OzyTheSage »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2544 on: December 14, 2010, 05:03:07 am »

How about clay pots: the alternative to wooden barrels/bins that you can sell to the elves...(Or maybe not, as it would probly involve baking and thus wood... But even then most river-clays can harden fine by themselves so baking shouldn't be required...)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: December 14, 2010, 06:41:55 am »

I really, really wish we could get some fix to animals' pathfinding now, otherwise the 16 new domestic species will murder the FPS, and to add insult to injury, make all the hallways extremely crowded. Some kind of fenced pastures perhaps? Or allow us to create a special alert+burrow for domestic animals that would prevent them from pathing? Please?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2546 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:15 am »

While we are at solving animal issues ...

Are there plans to make changes to animal/unit list to better handle large number of units (i.e., filters, searching, sorting ... all that kinds of "boring business application" perks)

And, then there is one suggestion for preventing huge numbers of various animals: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72968.0

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: December 14, 2010, 07:56:26 am »

Wel i hope the code gets altered in such a way that it can support the sheer number of animals and plants off the ark project.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: December 14, 2010, 08:29:41 am »

Will 'milking' be replaced by some generic animal resource gathering skill of some sort?

I doubt it. That's how modders have hacked in wool in the past, but it makes sheep's milk (and hence cheese) impossible. My guess is there will just be a new "Shear animal" job in the farmer's workshop, but who knows.

Can't really say how excited I am for wool, one of my favorite materials IRL. I expect we'll be able to spin it into yarn, but it would be cool to be able to make felt cloth as an alternative if it's early on and you don't have a loom or a spinner who can use it.

Eggs should be interesting too. If they just randomly pop out of poultry then you'll need to keep making omelets just to avoid an FPS-draining eggsplosion.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: December 14, 2010, 09:32:52 am »

I just know someone somewhere will design a fortress that can transform into a giant robot once some of these dev list items are implemented...
[/quote]

(Late late late late late reply on this, I know, but I've only just gotten the time to even attempt to trawl this thread, but am too impatient to leave this point until I get to the end, so...)

With fully implementable moving fortress sections (e.g. several relative reciprocal movements capable of causing absolute movements of the whole) I can see the megaprojects starting off with "pull lever A to raise central foot and rest on outrigger pylons, pull lever B to move foot forwards, unpull lever to lower central foot, unpull lever B to return foot to back and send fortress forward a notch, rinse, repeat" as a proof of concept, and ending up with dwarflogic-controlled cyclic mechanisms sending a multi-legged mecha-fortress 'beastie' scuttling (in a large-scale slow motion way, of course) across the landscape, needing pressure-plates mounted against the legendary leg-ends to reliably take account of landscape contours and ensure that[1] the whole structure doesn't trip over a small rocky outcrop, pile into an inconvenient cliff-face or dive straight over a precipice.

(Although small soiltype-only rises in the landscape having their tops scraped off by an itinerant limb would be interesting.  And a valuable clue as to what had happened with your mobile city if you'd turned up in Adventure mode, set it going and then accidentally fell off the side due to one of the inevitable shifts the structure would need to endure, being knocked unconscious for long enough for it to wander off under only its pre-programmed automatic control. :) )

[1] Especially once it's no longer possible that one wall tile near the edge can obliquely support a huge and otherwise 'floating' castle over the top of almost all of the rest of the map, without some form of dislocation/collapse at the most least reinforced stress-point!
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 342