Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1597751 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2490 on: December 11, 2010, 04:32:12 am »

This is more a suggestion, but hell...

In adventure mode, the part of the map visible to you depends on the civ you start from.
How about extending this 'known world' info into dwarfmode and allow only settling in the area known (or slightly beyond)?

Alternatively, with caravan roleplay being developed,
How about leading the expedition from the mountainhomes to where you strike the earth as an adventurer?

This former should probably be optional, to avoid alienating DF purists. I feel something like this would create a stronger link between dwarf and advenurer mode, as you will want to create an adventurer to explore.
Prospecting for good spots could be a quest too.
The "known world" thing is probably largely pointless, as there is no meaningful way to explore from Dwarf mode, nor any real reason to want to. And as far as I know, that will remain unchanged indefinitely.

It's unclear what exactly your green thing is supposed to mean. If you mean an adventurer starting off a fortress, then the current plan doesn't really combine the modes that much. You could do it, but it won't be the same as Dwarf Fortress.
If you mean one of the start scenarios, and use a retired adventurer, then would be an awesome option to have, but I don't see it as one that most people would use much.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:19 am »

I believe he means that you take an adventurer, stock up on goods and dwarfs and travel to the site in adventure mode, once you 'embark' it switches to running in fort mode.
*Hugs*

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: December 11, 2010, 07:35:07 am »

ninja'd: yes indeed. :)

What I meant was:
starting a fortress would be only possible in explored territory,
forcing you to explore with an adventurer to establish a fortress further out if you don't find a nice location nearby.

Not a DF-lite in adv-mode, but just interconnectedness.
My concept of an adventurer-expedition:
1- select dwarfs and equipment as normal during embark, select site.
2- adventure-travel from home location to site
3- end adventuremode, start fortressmode.
4- strike the earth!

Also being limited to territory gives some meaning to choosing the dwarf civ to start from,
besides the initially invisible equipment/animal availability and the (currently) non-issue of politics.

The idea is that fortresses die, just like adventurers, and the world goes on to provide opportunities for new histories of avarice and vice.
I realise that most worlds never live beyond a single fortress.
This is one reason why it is a big wish that abandoned fortresses will continue on in some way in a future release of DF. Reducing the reluctance to abandon a succesfull fortress to play several adventurers and start a new fortress in the same world.

In general, the world, adventure and fortresses need to interact more and more as DF develops and player-actions in one should be carried over to the others. (and Toady is aware of this -> see talk#10)
The introverted nature of DF play is such a waste of the rich worldgen.
(OK, dwarves are by tradition alcoholic, anti-social, recluses that rather dig down than look out a window, but still.)

Another suggestion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:25:48 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: December 11, 2010, 08:35:52 am »

I agree with Areyar in everything in the post above.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: December 11, 2010, 08:39:30 am »

I would like the option of being able to start a colony through adventurer. Except that you would need to gather 7 dwarves actually, but you can carry anything you want. the guys come with equipment, so when dwarf sites get fixed that should DEFINITELY become an option.

also narrative is great! those with a good eye can easily get clues for Legends
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: December 11, 2010, 10:27:23 am »

I would like the option of being able to start a colony through adventurer. Except that you would need to gather 7 dwarves actually, but you can carry anything you want. the guys come with equipment, so when dwarf sites get fixed that should DEFINITELY become an option.

also narrative is great! those with a good eye can easily get clues for Legends
I would like an option to make a HUMAN fortress through adventurer, and watch it fail.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: December 11, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »

I would like that we always have the ability to embark at least anywhere we're able to now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: December 11, 2010, 03:54:50 pm »

There will always be people who just want to play a fortress with as little bother as possible, so having the option to skip any adventure stuff and go direct to the embark should always be available. :)

I must say playability of adventuremode has really improved recently. :D

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: December 11, 2010, 06:26:14 pm »

Bogeymen are the worst thing, seriously :O I am thinking of just editing my raws to make them weak little blobs that can't move because they annoy so much

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: December 11, 2010, 06:39:12 pm »

You are reminded by the bogeys themselves never to be alone outside at night, that is when the bogeymen come out to play. ;p

What annoys me most is not being able to get a wound looked after.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: December 11, 2010, 06:44:53 pm »

So, DF meets Oregon Trail... sounds like fun.

It would add an extra layer of challenge.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: December 11, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »

Bogeymen are the worst thing, seriously :O I am thinking of just editing my raws to make them weak little blobs that can't move because they annoy so much

Really? I've yet to meet a pack of bogeymen I couldn't slaughter. Maybe it's because I usually make unarmed fighter/wrestlers. The mental image of grabbing a bogeyman and punching him in the face until he passes out is rather amusing.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:54 pm »

might it also be possible to leave your fort in the hands of the monarch at some point? so that the dwarf civ can conquer areas, or is something like other uncontrolled fortresses springing up of the dwarf civ?

also as an alternative to just abandoning the fort
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:54:47 pm by Dradym »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2503 on: December 11, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »

might it also be possible to leave your fort in the hands of the monarch at some point? so that the dwarf civ can conquer areas, or is something like other uncontrolled fortresses springing up of the dwarf civ?

also as an alternative to just abandoning the fort
That option is already available, you just need a king/queen in your fort.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: December 11, 2010, 08:48:25 pm »

Nope, still just abandons the fort. Even if they don't leave the fort's not going to do anything, and likely won't until we start to get more post-worldgen historical events.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 342