Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1579414 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:36 am »

harder than ingame iron

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2010, 08:29:29 am »

Steel > Bronze > Iron > Copper > Silver.

According to DF Wiki, and of course, it's more real-life like now :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2010, 08:39:18 am »

iron with impurities is steel, after all

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:58 am »

with a very carrefully measured amount and type of impurities anyway :)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2010, 09:00:57 am »

Yeah, steel is usually defined by a small amount of carbon in the mixture. No one uses pure iron, because it's extremely soft. Adding bits of glass called slag to the mixture creates a metal called wrought iron, which is stronger, has a noticeable grain to it, and is what people usually mean when they say "iron". However, bronze is still a stronger metal than wrought iron. The iron age came after the bronze age, because improvements in metallurgy made the production of iron and steel -- which is stronger than bronze -- more cost effective, and because of a rather sizable tin shortage which drove the price of bronze up to an unmanageable height.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2010, 09:18:31 am »

bronze-armed goblins can take on softer stone (like sandstone). Humans with their iron picks can manage hard rock, like granite.

I don't think humans can even use iron.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:05 am »

Yeah, steel is usually defined by a small amount of carbon in the mixture. No one uses pure iron, because it's extremely soft. Adding bits of glass called slag to the mixture creates a metal called wrought iron, which is stronger, has a noticeable grain to it, and is what people usually mean when they say "iron". However, bronze is still a stronger metal than wrought iron. The iron age came after the bronze age, because improvements in metallurgy made the production of iron and steel -- which is stronger than bronze -- more cost effective, and because of a rather sizable tin shortage which drove the price of bronze up to an unmanageable height.

More of #2 than #1. Copper and tin aren't found together, and with civilization collapsing and all, Iron became the only material a lot of people had access to.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:59 am »

civilization colapsing?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2010, 09:54:28 am »

i was just reading that. i made a research in this area a few moths ago and apparently missed that page

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2010, 10:25:42 am »

So, what kind of roles would you guys like to play as an adventurer? Obviously, we'll play all of them as they get implemented, but what features are you looking forward to most? I'm quite excited about the stuff under "Villians" and "Adventurer Role: Treasure Hunter". Actual challenges are going to be a blast.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:43 am »

I like the sound of "Merchant with bodyguards" and "Artifact hunter" I can see myself becoming rich, having a ton of lackies, and using them to place find all the traps then claiming an adamantium sword for my own.
Nom nom nom

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:45 am »

I think I'd like to play AS a villian/night creature. You know, roaming from town to town, converting the population into horrific creatures at my command? Eventually I'd have a "Children Golem" division for extended psychological sieges.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2010, 10:44:29 am »

I'm thinking Archaeologist myself; going to ancient, half buried ruins, and excavating them, reading their engravings, and slaying the ancient horrors that slumber beneath them. Then taking the choicest trinkets back to a museum built on the outskirts of a friendly town, to display them for the rest of the world to see.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2010, 10:47:32 am »

I'm thinking Archaeologist myself; going to ancient, half buried ruins, and excavating them, reading their engravings, and slaying the ancient horrors that slumber beneath them. Then taking the choicest trinkets back to a museum built on the outskirts of a friendly town, to display them for the rest of the world to see.
after moding in fedora hats, ofcourse
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 342