Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help on an exploding creature?  (Read 3264 times)

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help on an exploding creature?
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:05:20 pm »

So, a friend recently asked me to re-create a creature from another game that it explodes when it's near you, something I can not - for the life of me - figure out how to do. Anyone know how to add this? I have pretty much all of the rest of the creature figured out, I just need to add that and I should be good to go.  :-\

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Help on an exploding creature?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:10:51 pm »

Controlled explosions can't be done, but you can go the thermonuclear route with [HOMEOTHERM:ridiculously high number], [STANDARD_FLESH], and [SEVERONBREAKS].  In 40d, at least.  In DF2010 I've been pondering a creature that releases clouds of boiling alcohol, but I don't know if that would work.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:09 pm »

Hmmm, so there is no way to have it explode only while near a dwarf, or other hostile (to it) enemy?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:47 pm »

Not unless you change your raws on the fly.  Of course, having a goblin siege arrive and explode instantly is hilarious.

...hmm.  A creature with alcohol that boils on exposure to air as blood might work...

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:21:27 pm »

Hmm, homeothermic creatures don't actually produce heat in the game, do they?  If they did, then you could create a cold-native creature that overheats and explodes when a heat-producing creature comes near it.

Or perhaps we're thinking too linearly about it; what about creating a creature that produces a caustic gas about it that it just happens to be vulnerable to?  It produces the same end result and it's not like dwarves actually burn anyways, they melt to death first.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:26:30 pm »

@Remalle So then it'd be a bit more of like a timed explosion, considering it'd take time to boil to the point of explosion? Even then, can you make it so it explodes afterwords?

@Malecus But what about the temperature of the air itself? Would that affect the creature too, or would it simply not be hot enough? As for the gas, that could work, but since I'm not an expert on modding, I'm not sure how to cause it to emit mentioned smoke, nor do I know how to make it vulnerable to the target. Also, I'd need a way so the gas doesn't create a trail - I don't want the explosion to be MASSIVE, just enough to cover maybe a 5x5 area. Dunno how high, just needs to be at least 5x5. :P

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:37:46 pm »

Well hopefully this theorhetical creature would stay in cold places where air temperature would not be a problem.  In places that are only frozen part of the year, they'd announce the arrival of spring with very personal fireworks.

As for the gas, I'm not too much of an expert either, so I believe the wiki and Deon's mod would be required reading for us both, but I believe from my (rather brief) experiences with Forgotten Beasts it would be possible.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 01:05:51 am »

K, I'll read up on both, and hopefully I can get this to work.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:16:45 am »

LOL great concept, it brings to mind the equally evolutionarily unsound Swamp Dragons from the Discworld books :F

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:35 am »

Hmmm, well I can't find anything on the Wiki about gases, so I guess I have to go somewhere else for that. Time to look for Deons mod.

I'm assuming you meant Wasteland. Well, I couldn't find anything about gases in that either...

Well, I'm all out of known resources to look at for gases.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:12:48 am by Failular »

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:43:19 am »

Hmmm, well I can't find anything on the Wiki about gases, so I guess I have to go somewhere else for that. Time to look for Deons mod.

I'm assuming you meant Wasteland. Well, I couldn't find anything about gases in that either...

Well, I'm all out of known resources to look at for gases.

Did you check the "inorganic_zexplosive.txt" in the raws in the wasteland mod? i notice gas was mentioned a couple of times in that file, i'm not sure if it's of any use

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 06:34:29 pm »

Oh duh. I guess it helps if I actually download the mod.  :o

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:46:21 pm »

Well.

What you can do is give the creature a disease dust attack that burns everything around it, including itself.  Couple this with a release of a explosive material, gas is possible I believe, which can also be done via the disease system.  That will have the same effect as exploding, as the dust spreads in a small cloud fast enough to imagine it's a explosion, and it should ignite any gas or whatever flammable material you made the creature give out, resulting in it's death and the fiery mutilation of anyone nearby.  Unlikely to get any gibs though unless the burning gas could do that, but I doubt it.

It made not kill itself on the first shot though, so it may have to explode a few times, but that could be considered a bonus. 

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:09 am »

Hmmm. But, would that cause it to only explode while near a dwarf or other creature it dislikes? And also, I actually want it to die the first time it explodes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:34:56 am by Failular »

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:42:49 am »

while i can not help, i am wonderinf if this is inspired by minecraft creepers.
=
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.
Pages: [1] 2