Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: The Dwarven Race III - Race Two, start.  (Read 19901 times)

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Race III - Chimps and stranglers and spiders.
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2010, 01:40:45 am »

Alright, I think we need to go find Errol. I'll PM him.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:31 am »

Sorry. Was hiding under my bed.

Post reserved...

I'll have to give the henchdwarf a prrrromotion *rrrring*. I'll promise him extra booze if we place in the top three, too. The wagon shall land now and the henchdwarf shall try to tie the eagles back to the wagon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:15:00 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 01:36:27 am »

Turn 4

wolfchild
(5) You point, quivering, at your kobold on the elephant some distance ahead. The eagles understand your meaning instinctively, and they all lunge forward to reach him. He is ripped apart in moments. Their thirst for blood sated, the eagles return to the business of pulling. (6) Relieved, you shout at them that there's more where that came from if they perform well. One of them looks around.

You see murder in his beady eyes. He'll hold you to that promise.

Wordless threats aside, they seem to have understood you. You zoom on ahead, making up for lost time splendidly.

IronyOwl
(1) The two remaining stranglers faint with terror after beholding the raw unbridled fury of an elephant roused to anger over and above its general hatred of sentient beings. Even creatures spawned of evil can feel awe for the mighty elephant, it seems. It's funny how these problems seem to just solve themselves. (5) With uncharacteristic tenderness, you gently wake your elephant from its slumber. Your compassion defuses the fury of the pachyderm, and all three take to the road again. (2) You start to explain to the kobold how things are going to be, but you are cut short as several eagles swoop down and snap him up. Interrupting your conversation? How impolite. You decide not to keep speaking, since what are you going to do, force the kobold's spirit into service? What a preposterous idea. Utterly ludicrous.

SHAD0Wdump
(4) Blarg, you smash 'em again! (5) This time you make a pretty huge dent in the General Lee's armour! (Cage trap) The dent is in the general vicinity of the cage holding a certain malevolent ape, and the means of its incarceration. Freedom! The cage trap is now non-fuctional, and the cage door is open. You encourage the strangler to go for their eyes. Meanwhile, your opposite number has been using his silver tongue to encourage betrayal! The fiend! (Techno - 3) Roland seems to be remaining loyal, but you see doubt in his eyes. (Shadow - 2) He's terrified of you! A night of celebration would be less than ideal, in his estimation. He would like to be as far from you as possible while waiting for the next race. Maybe he could fake his death and you could get a replacement... AUGH! That won't work, you already know what he's up to! He cowers in fear. (Techno - 4) Techno's comment about partying catches him at a vulnerable moment. He makes a split-second decision to try jumping across, but reconsiders at the last moment. He doesn't like the way Delta is eyeing him, and he just helped cause a rather severe structural fault in the General Lee. His near-betrayal reduces your speed slightly, but you save no booze because of it (speed reduced to 2, 0.5 barrels of booze used this turn).

Frelock
(5) Acting purely on instinct, you somehow manage to extend your mind to touch the surrounding life-forms; that is, the spiders currently swarming all over you. (3) The spiders are weak-minded, and halt immediately as they feel a foreign presence encroaching on their minds. What minds they have, anyway. You are unable to exert control over them as yet. Still, you now have telepathy! That's pretty cool. You order Igor to aid Paranatural for the moment. No doubt he'll be overtaken by hijinks in short order. He'll be up to his neck in them. (2) You fail to shake off the effects of the venom. The trees are getting awfully close, you'd better get back on track very soon...

Paranatural
(6) More kitties! MORE KITTIES! You throw your cats at the other cats. You don't bother to harness them to your racer, but you experience a boost in speed nonetheless. No doubt terror remains a significant factor in your engine. (1) Igor sees your zealotry with regard to felines, and decides to help out in accordance with his orders. He throws felines everywhere, and they rain down upon the course! Unfortunately, none of them hit the engine. What a senseless waste of life. Well, it will be. Right now the quickest-to-recover are already feeding on the retreating spiders, their earlier fears forgotten as they can now hunt at leisure.

Stray cat (Tame) has given birth to kittens.

techno65535
(3) Roland is indecisive. On one hand, he owes his loyalty to Shadow. On the other, he is naturally utterly terrified at the idea of having a master who knows his innermost secrets. He begins vacillation maneuvers. (Shadow - 2) His terror renders Shadow's arguments ineffective. (Techno - 4) You are almost successful in getting him to defect, but he reconsiders at the last second. Oh well, it was worth a shot. By the way, there's now a massive dent in the side of your vehicle, and the strangler in the cage has gotten loose. That's bad. The ramming happened too fast for Henchdwarf Delta to do anything about it, but he can deal with the problem arising from it. (2) Well, maybe he will be able to eventually. He gives a hearty 'HUAAAAGH!' and executes a mighty overhead swing with his hammer. He's not very good at hitting things, unfortunately. (3) The strangler's not much better, though. He does manage to bonk Delta on the head. (4) Surprisingly, your henchdwarves are largely unaffected by the riveting melee taking place right next to them, and completely indifferent to the ramming thing. You speed on ahead.

Errol
(2) You try to promote your henchdwarf, but he belongs to no hierarchy where you have the authority to grant a prrrromotion! Maybe you should make one up. (4) Seeing the success others have had in using comestibles to encourage their minions, you sign a contract with your henchdwarf, promising him extra booze (exact quantity to be determined at the conclusion of the race) if you finish in the top three. He gladly consents to receive this gift, placing his name (both common and High Dwarven forms) at the bottom of the document you drew up. (5+1) Showing initiative, panache, booze-induced motivation and newly-acquired acrobatics skills, your henchdwarf proceeds to harness the two loose eagles in moments before landing gracefully on the deck. (5) Such enthusiasm inspires the eagles no end. You zoom along with great haste, though you have no idea where that skeletal chimp went.

Comments
Bleh. Sorry this is a little late, I'll see if I can't have another turn up before Monday.

Course info
Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest
Heavily Forested
Terrifying

Code: [Select]
  - - - 2 2 2 - 1
S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ +
  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 _ 10
                    + __ __ __ __ __ F
                      11 12 13 14 15
Key
S = Start
F = Finish
_ = One tile
+ = Corner
Bottom Numbers = Square number
Top Numbers = Racers present on that square

Statuses

Spoiler: SHAD0Wdump - Ramstein (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: IronyOwl - Rampage (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:26:07 am by Wimdit »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 01:41:01 am »

Force the kobold's spirit into service.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Race III - Cats and kittens everywhere...
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 01:46:41 am »

egg the`eagles on foccusing on speed, mentioning that even if i wanted i CANT give them more kobolds if we are not in the top three, mentioning also that if it does not slow us down, taking others out of the race will help us win
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2010, 02:23:07 am »

Order the eagles to go faster again. We've got positions to make up. Give the henchdwarf the title of first mate and order him to calibrate the catapult to hit someone two tiles away.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2010, 02:55:40 am »

Whilst keeping the spiders from biting me again via a dim mental presence, overcome the poison by sheer will and initiate cautious driving around the turn!

Edit: I'm gonna be gone over the weekend.  So in the unlikely scenario that you get a turn up before Monday, don't wait up for me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:13:46 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2010, 04:04:17 am »

Alright Roland, aggressive maneuvers, I want speed.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2010, 09:37:34 am »

"Hey Delta! You remember that time we played Ape-Ball?" (Ape-Ball is very similar to baseball, except with apes for balls and warhammers for bats) "Think ya can hit that thing onto SHADOWdump's racer? And why is that lignite still here? It should be by SHADOWdump's booze pile!"

Drive aggressively, gotta get up near the front.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:00 am »

Tell Igor to stop throwing my cats and help my dwarf (I shall call him Reginald) to point the cannon backwards and fire it, using the recoil to help me move faster. I'll focus on driving.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2010, 09:57:57 am »

>_>

*cough*

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 5

IronyOwl
(3) Okay. This idea is completely absurd. Not least because you have no idea how to do anything regarding the spirit world. Do spirits even have a separate world? You don't know. Whatever, that's not going to stop you. You say a few prayers over your vehicle to sanctify it, draw a pentacle in your own blood, break off a spike and bend it into the shape of an ankh, use the ankh to cut off some of your hair, make the hair into a crude humanoid doll-figure, snag a branch(!) from a nearby tree and carve it into a miniature totem pole, and perform a series of steps which are supposed to be a rain dance but are actually completely meaningless. You suspect that all you have gotten out of this is a bunch of useless semi-religious paraphernalia, rather than the immortal, intangible, invisible servant you were hoping for. Oh well. (Paranatural) Onward! Your elephants decide to go in a forwards direction, but (Paranatural - 6) your opponent's dark designs have done you a mischief this day. For reasons unknown, he so happens to have fired a cannonball, (2) which rips through the leftmost elephant's head. (2) Infuriatingly, you are unable to deliver vengeance! Your elephants fall short due to the mysterious force of recoil acting on Paranatural's vehicle. You mourn your dead elephant. He was like a son to you. If only there was a way to bring him back.

wolfchild
(1) You egg your eagles on, exhorting them to do what they do best. Perhaps that was bad phrasing, given their history. Once again, you are the victim of your stupid eagles. (6) You shout that there is more of a chance that you'll finish in the top three if they'll sabotage other racers! They remain stupid eagles, and so they are swayed by your words (even though they don't understand what you're saying), but do not realize that attacking the closest racer is not ideal when you're in equal last place. Whatever, they're not attacking you anymore. (2) Some try to attack the other eagles below, but they are limited by their harnesses. Stupid eagles need to work in unison.

Errol
(4) You shout at your eagles. You shout at them good. They seem tired, the slackers, but the sentient one screeches and they laboriously start flapping harder. They are weary, but moving quickly in spite of that. (3) You bestow the title of First Mate upon your henchdwarf. He begins to object, saying that you are not a captain and therefore have no right to grant such a title, but quiets down after realizing that while you are not a captain de jure, you are in command of this vessel and may be addressed as such. (3) Such internal debate is not conducive to efficient running of a ship. Car. Fortress. Whatever. It's not conducive, and so all your first mate manages to do is load the catapult with a rock.

Frelock
(1) The spiders do not wish to hear about your dim mental presence. Your dim mental presence is as nothing to them. (6) Incensed at your assault on their free will, they decide to show you good and start eating you and crawling into your body through your nostrils and it's all very messy. (6) However, you overcome the paralysis anyway! The tremendous pain of having spiders in your bowels is irrelevant as you lift yourself up through sheer willpower and terror caused by the approaching trees. (5) How do you even drive that well when the stuff that's flowing in your veins is more venom than alcohol? You swerve your contraption about the turn masterfully. (2) Igor fails to stop throwing cats around. He's not being very helpful, is he?

SHAD0Wdump
Roland gets back into the groove. Losing himself in the rhythm of booze to rocket, he is able to find peace despite the constant surveillance of his thoughts. You move forward quickly, but the flow is broken as something large and hairy and six-limbed lands on the deck. I say, you're being boarded. Seems you have bad karma, what? Although stranglers seem to be everywhere nowadays.

techno65535
(2) The strangler is unable to reenact the Black Knight scene owing to his inability to reconcile his six limbs with the distinctly humanoid configuration of Arthur, King of the Britons. He ends up simply flailing his arms about like a particularly animated pork chop. (5) It is during this flailing that Delta finally manages to hit something properly. Your words are evocative enough to conjure fond memories of a time that may or may not have existed, and skill in a sport that may or may not have ever been previously conceived. He delivers a mighty thwack, launching the strangler (4) over the rear end of your vehicle and causing him to land on his head on the Ramstein. He avoids the spikes, thankfully. Well, that's bad given that he's an entity of pure malevolence, but it hurts your opponent so it's fine. Your pumpers show some signs of fatigue, but they comport themselves admirably in the face of your possible abuse should they fail to maintain speed.

Paranatural
You call for Reginald's assistance in maintaining forward momentum. (1) He protests that his name is Harrison, but you're not fooled. You order Reginald to utilize the power of Urist's Third Law of Motion to maintain positive acceleration. (5)(6) While he is not sure if Urist's laws apply in this situation, or indeed if they ever apply, he remains your faithful servant. He manages to reverse the cannon despite the incredibly cramped space inside your vehicle - Igor is no help at all by the way, he's still gallivanting around throwing cats - load the cannon, and fire it. This, predictably, expels a large cannonball. It also increases your speed. However, the cannonball is more interesting. As it happens, its trajectory is directly in line with a large elephant that is currently charging at you with blood and fire in its eyes. (IronyOwl - 2) It rips through the elephant's head, which collapses to the ground with a tremendous thud.

Your kittens are now grown.

Stray cat (Tame) has given birth to kittens.

Comments
So it turns out that when I say 'before Monday' I actually mean 'by Monday.' Bet none of you knew that. Schedule Slippage is a dangerous thing, but it's not quite happening yet. It's only been three days, after all.

Anyway. Dead elephants make me sad.

Course info
Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest
Heavily Forested
Terrifying

Code: [Select]
  - - - - 1 1 2 2 - 1
S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ +
  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 _
                    + __ __ __ __ __ F
                   10 11 12 13 14 15
Key
S = Start
F = Finish
_ = One tile
+ = Corner
Bottom Numbers = Square number
Top Numbers = Racers present on that square

Statuses

Spoiler: SHAD0Wdump - Ramstein (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: IronyOwl - Rampage (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:20:57 am by Wimdit »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2010, 06:45:28 am »

GO FASTER
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:01:51 am by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Good job dwarves! Keep this up and we may just win this thing! Delta! Make sure nothing and noone else gets on here!"

Back to normal driving, but trying to get the pump dwarves to keep pumping fast. Lean out the side of the racer and steal one of Paranatural's cats.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

I drive in such a way as to dump this interloper onto the Rampage.

Also people, you have me to thank, as I apparently was forced to obtain no rolls to bring this game back to you!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20