Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: The Dwarven Race III - Race Two, start.  (Read 19917 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Race III - The final stages. Looking pretty close.
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2010, 12:42:55 am »

Cats have a "speed" of two, which corresponds to the following chart:

1-Chance to move 1 square
2-Guarenteed to move 1 square
3-Guarenteed to move 1 square, chance to move 2
4-Guarenteed to move 2 squares
5-Guarenteed to move 2 squares, chance to move 3

Obviously, agressive/cautious driving will change your speed, and give you more/less chances at going farther.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2010, 07:17:18 am »

I've been a little vague and inconsistent on the rules. Let's clear a few things up.

Multiple actions: Not really allowed, though obviously what constitutes 'multiple actions' can be a bit of a grey area. I allowed what techno did this turn because both the things he did were moderately urgent and he had free henchdwarves, who, incidentally, didn't pump this turn. Now that it's been brought up, though, I'll probably have to be a little stricter about it. Failure to comply with the below guidelines will result in unspeakably punitive measures such as roll penalties or creative action interpretation.

The below guidelines are that in one turn you can give some simple orders to your henchdwarves, optionally use cautious or aggressive driving if your engine permits and do one miscellaneous action. Alternately, if you are able to exercise enough control over your vehicle, you can sacrifice all of the above for driving focus, which is the racing equivalent of a martial trance. You gain perfect reaction time and perception, translating into auto-succeeding almost all driving rolls. Note that you usually can't dodge a projectile. Also note that this allows you to fire a weapon every turn if you have a free henchdwarf, and you can always leave standing orders.

Post-race actions: While the rest of the drivers are finishing up, you can take actions every turn, but only if they're immediately relevant. Vomiting spiders is allowable, but hammering out the dents a few of you have accumulated is not. This wasn't mentioned earlier, it was just an oversight on my part.

Crossing the finish line: I really didn't expect something like this to happen. I'm thinking that Roland will be named runner-up if the Ramstein beats the others to the finish here. I like the way IronyOwl thinks, too.

I'll say that the highest-ranking living dwarf or piece thereof aboard a vehicle is counted as winning. That means a body part of appreciable size pronounced living by a dwarven surgeon, preferably a mostly-intact head at the least. One winner per vehicle, and no fair splitting your vehicle into multiple ones just before the finish: each player gets one car. Non-dwarves must disguise themselves in order to claim the prize. The beardless in particular are disadvantaged here. Those poor souls.

That's everything? If so, proceed.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2010, 07:34:47 am »

Alright then, I've got a wee plan...

Para, please keep up with shooting at Irony, I'll attempt to jump on the SKY FIRE and light the booze.
 We might need aggressive driving to keep up with him though.

I'll assume Roland is too far away for me to bark orders, so he'll do whatever he would.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:37:17 am by SHAD0Wdump »

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:06 am »

Order Reginald to shoot the elephants. (I'm assuming they are bigger and taller than the racer they are dragging on the ground). Order Igor to help Shadow. Drive aggressively, and focus on driving.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2010, 08:25:05 pm »

Order the Henchdwarves to pump like they've never pumped before. A.K.A. drive aggressively. If Delta happens to wake up, order him to start bashing the hell out of the racer he's on.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2010, 07:48:18 pm »

Do you know something? It occurs to me that Errol hasn't posted. I can't believe I only just noticed.

I guess this will delay the turn more than usual. I'll have the turn up within a couple hours of his post, provided I'm at my computer.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:48 am »

I'd think 8 days is enough time :P
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2010, 04:04:20 am »

Hey bro, I only just noticed as well (and while writing this, notice a message being in my PM folder)

Driving focus time - the henchdwarf is on standby as I continue to drive aggressively (and focused)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Race III - The suspense is, surprisingly, not killing anyone yet.
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:41 am »

Turn 9
The Penultimate Stage
Also Spiderdwarves

IronyOwl
(2) Predictably, you are completely unable to influence your elephants, despite the presence of a spirit mediator. One wonders why you even bother with these reins in the first place. (Errol) Your elephants tire of having to catch up to vehicles. It's much easier to destroy things you've already caught up with, so they turn around and attack the first dwarf they see. The SKY FIRE is dead in their sights. (4) They line up for a terrible stampede, but the driver doesn't seem at all worried. He looks... calm. (Errol - Auto-success) He guides his eagles gently to the side, and your elephants rush past him like he's a toreador or something. (4) They're unfazed, but you can't help but admire how he managed to get around you. You were taking up most of the road there, after all. The elephants manage to get themselves sorted out and end up doing a full 360 degree turn, lumbering right beside the fortress. The good thing is that your opponent has made them angry now. Also one of them has been hit by a cannonball but seems unaffected. Probably going to be a lot worse when his bloodlust fades and it's dug out of him.

wolfchild
(6) Your practice of only thinking one thing at a time really works well for you. It allows you to focus really hard on going FASTER without overtaxing your sharply limited brainpower. Your eagles are a bit worried about you, what with the scrunched up face and the hunched posture and the alarming quivering, so they go faster in the hope of placating you and thus preventing you from having an aneurysm. (6)(1) Unfortunately, your one-track mind doesn't allow you to steer when you're not explicitly thinking about it. Your eagles manage to swerve around the first corner, but end up crashing right into the second one. (3) They each hit a tree, and are stunned. That's not good.

Frelock
(6) Right. This time, you are finally going to stop those spiders from chewing on your internal organs. All efforts to expel them from your system have proven futile, so it is clear that you must join with the power of the arachnid. In fact, you realize now that it was only your love for these noble invertebrates that prevented you from casting them out. Now you can embrace your true nature. A biologically improbable transformation takes place as you suppress your digestive system, allowing the spiders to completely hollow you out and build spider-organs in place of your old ones. Your legs atrophy and grow shorter, and four additional ones burst out of your hips and shoulders. You grow additional eyes, as well as an exoskeleton. You now walk similarly to a spider, but you can flex upwards in order to manipulate things with your frontmost appendages, in a manner similar to that of an ape-creature. You also have poisonous fangs and can weave webs. It's all very nice, except now you have to eat insects and they're gross. Also your venom contains booze, so in addition to paralyzing dwarves it also rejuvenates them slightly.

The phantom spiders that infest your vehicle are now at your command.

SHAD0Wdump
(2) You try to jump onto the SKY FIRE, but you are unfortunately not a long jump champion. Even a Perfectly Agile dwarf would have trouble with the several dozen metres separating you. Plus there appear to be elephants moving toward it with hostile intent, so you wisely decide to just sit down here for a while. (2) Roland is slightly uncertain of himself without your leadership. He feeds booze into the rocket through force of habit, but the faint hissing noise coming from Henchdwarf Delta is very unsettling. He just ends up staring while sloshing dwarven wine in the general direction of the fire. The finish line approaches, but he's not there yet. He's down to his last barrel of booze, too...

Paranatural
Another shot! Fire at will! Aim for the big-eared grey menace! Fire! (3) Reginald is unused to shooting so quickly, but he manages to keep the gunpowder from igniting. A few grains go flying here and there, but nothing serious. (6) The elephants' behinds do not present a very large target over the top of the vehicle, but Reginald's accuracy is superb. That fellow would deserve a commendation had he not once again failed to secure the cannon. (3) The barrel is knocked a little more off-kilter, but you have delivered a blow to your foe's engine, such as it is. (4) However, a cannonball to the behind is undoubtedly painful, but hardly fatal. It ends up becoming lodged just above the tail of the leftmost elephant. Ow. While Reginald is doing that, you push your kitties onward through motivation and threatening their children. (3) Cats don't really care about their children though. They produce so many that it would be completely impractical to care for them. They are a little tired from pulling you along all race as well, so you go no faster.

Your kittens are now grown.

Stray cat(Tame) has given birth to kittens.

techno65535
You order your henchdwarves to pump like they've never pumped before. (4) They comply, taking a moment to figure out how the pumps work but doggedly denying the fact that they've been pumping for ages and need a rest. The mechanisms squeak and groan, but you move forward quickly enough. Just hitting a mechanism with another mechanism is all it takes for it to work, apparently. (6) Henchdwarf Delta is appalled at his weakness in allowing himself to be disabled by burns, of all things. No dwarf should even notice burns until he keels over dead. He rises, and hears your shouting. (4) Sounds simple enough. Finally, something he can do easily. (Screw pump)(3) Easily, but not well. He just ends up hitting the reinforced steel with his hammer repeatedly like the idiot he is.

Errol
You empty your mind. A brief flicker of dwarven aggression passes across your thoughts, but you supress it and it disappears as quickly as it came. There are elephants intending to kill you, but you give what will be your impending doom if you do nothing little thought. (Auto-success) Your eagles are slightly troubled, but they keep going straight ahead, no doubt thinking that they'll be freed if your vehicle is destroyed. At what you judge to be the last possible moment, you give their reins a flick and the elephants end up passing by harmlessly. Of course, they immediately turn around and will easily be able to match your eagles' speed, so you still have a problem.

Comments
The rules are still being misinterpreted by criminals and lowlifes. Driving focus means sacrificing every other action. That means no orders or aggressive driving. Also I'm late with this. Also also, I won't take posting order into account when determining finish order next turn, so it will be based on speed and die rolls and will possibly result in a split of the prize money.

Elephants are supposed to be unstoppable engines of death. :( Stupid dice and stupid rules that I made up.

Course info
Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest
Heavily Forested
Terrifying

Code: [Select]
  - - - - - - - - - -
S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ +
  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 _ 1  1  3  -  1  1
                    + __ __ __ __ __ F
                   10 11 12 13 14 15
Key
S = Start
F = Finish
_ = One tile
+ = Corner
Bottom Numbers = Square number
Top Numbers = Racers present on that square

Statuses

Spoiler: SHAD0Wdump - Ramstein (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: IronyOwl - Rampage (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:34:18 pm by Wimdit »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Point out to my elephants that the lead racers are nearly to safety, and if they're going to leave their shattered wreckage on the side of the road they need to do it now.

Also Frelock's transformation is horrifying and unexpected. Given that 2/3 of my elephants aren't 100% elephant anymore, I'm not sure why it would be, but The Spidermobile is now active and I'm a little concerned.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

I throw kittens at the Rampage's elephants to distract them with their cuteness.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't you mean their tastyness?

"Delta! That's not working! Get rid of Roland and turn that gilopee around and ram it into the Rampage! And be sure to jump back on here when you pass by!"

Ordering Delta to take over the Ramstein and ram it into the Rampage while continuing to drive aggressively. I'm going to finish this race in the top three damnit!
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I throw kittens at the Rampage's elephants to distract them with their cuteness.
Don't you mean their tastyness?

Same thing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

I am pleased with this development.

Gather dramatic black cape for me and a creepy organ for my racer!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frelock suddenly reminds me of the Lost in Space movie that came out a few years ago. Where the one guy became part alien-spider thing.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20