Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This fortress is bad luck  (Read 1098 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This fortress is bad luck
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:49:18 pm »

My Great Fortress has been reclaimed once cause the first dwarves died cause of the river freezing and no drink. Reclaimed and all.

Now I finished a huge water network for the fortress, giant project. And a goblin ambush took me totally off guard, I had no time to do anything, by the time I got my military scrambled up and on duty to confront them, they killed 3 dwarves and were past the gates. Half of my squad gets to the courtyard where they are quickly killed. Now the gobbos are at the doors, all the dogs in my fortress and the rest of the squad are there keeping them away, they managed to kill 3 gobbos. After some slaughter in the workshop hallways they get to the meeting place, 10 dwarves slaughtered and then they for some reason went away.
But now everybody was real sad cause the month before there were alot of marriages and births, this fort also had alot of legendary dwarves. Now they just sit there, tantrum and 2 of them berserk.

From 72 dwarves to 3. The 3 dwarves survived cause after getting wounded they went to they're epic bedrooms and are uncouncious. The third just went and slept at the hospital bed.
A few days are gone and now...migrants! All they find is a fortress with hallways littered with bodies and blood, and stockpiles, rooms filled with riches. All the animals in the fort were also killed, what a tragedy.

There were exactly 7 migrants.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This fortress is bad luck
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:42 pm »

Sounds like Fun indeed. So, I wonder what'll siege you when you pump magma to the surface?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:25:12 pm »

Sounds like Fun indeed. So, I wonder what'll siege you when you pump magma to the surface?

magma siege?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »

An exelent example of a DF story.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »

THAT..WAS...AWSOME!!!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »

I say you lock your dwarves underground and cleanse the surface of this bad luck, with magma of course.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »

The 3 dwarves hung on just long enough to welcome the new migrants. I like it. :)
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »

It's not a cursed fort when it's a normal dwarven day.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 06:09:47 pm »

The only dwarven day is when the surface is flooded with magma. Every other day is just a normal day.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:58 pm »

Now hold on, there... it's ALSO a dwarven day when you get an idea, run around taking rocks and gems and bars of steel and rolls of cloth and cords of wood and a few dozen bars of adamantine and some of these old lobster shells and maybe a baby or two, then hole up a workshop for a few months before presenting to the world: Lardboat, the clenching of points, and artifact conglomerant ring.

And then use it to bludgen some elves into concavity.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »

I suppose strange moods are dwarven. Not as much as flooding the surface with magma though.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »

eh, my only real problem at the moment is a complete lack of shells. there are no turtles where i fish, and you cant get shells from food you trade for anymore. had three dwarves die from a lack of shells so far (one even went beserk).

water isnt that vital if you have enough to drink. you just need a lot of barrels, and a good farming system for berries. my fort works fine with a 5x5 strawberry plot. had to plug one of my water-holes on the cave level though, got paranoid about the forgotten beast made of water that showed up. no idea if they can get past fortifications carved from stone.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 07:34:09 pm »

Any kind of construction and carved wall is more or less immune to everything. Shells are rather notorious for causing the deaths of many dwarves. Just set up a huge fishing industry. I think you can get turtles anywhere you fish, you might just be unlucky with getting them.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 08:20:11 pm »

Wow...what a dwarfly story!