Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armok becoming a religion.  (Read 3253 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Armok becoming a religion.
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:19 am »

I figured it would be cool that as I grew up I saw a church that prays to Armok. Pretty interesting when I think about it.

Now I do not want to start a here about insulting other religions and stuff. But I still think it would be interesting. And no I do not expect to magically appear 7 churches of said religion.

Ohh and this post lacks my point.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Armok becoming a religion.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:57:04 am »

That would be cool!finally a religion i can relate to.

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:09:02 am »

That would be awesome, but only as a joke, as long as nobody would take "blood for the blood god" seriously  ;D

I once heard founding a church isn't a big deal in the US, so...

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:14:47 am »

Huu-Rah for Blood Magic!

"Blood for the blood god!" Does not seem that bad... Sadly, Humans butcher animals/fish/and anything else for goods. So we could use that for the chant. But then we would look like a bunch of Animal Haters. Maybe it will be a rebellion! Nah.

For some reason, I can see that way in the future, during space colonization about? There would be a syndicate/civilization/group of people taking this quote to the limit
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:44 am »

Everybody can do it... if the pastafarians can, why can't we  :P

But honestly, that whole "blood for the blood god" is kinda creepy (a parody on existing religions at best), aside from making a rather nice refrain for hymns and such. If it's all about the booze and beards though, just go to a bar some time and you already have your church, complete with a community, drunken chanting and cleaning from all sins (*hurk* ;) )
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:23:45 am »

I know a great rule!You cannot pay for anything and it has to be given to you for free!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:29:02 am »

I know a great rule!You cannot pay for anything and it has to be given to you for free!
5-finger Discount man, we all have it!  ;D

Then you hide it in your beard and run shouting FOR ARMOK!

And then if they find you, you tell them that those damn monkeys took it.
Story of my life.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:33:54 am »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD is not problematic at all. There is a very popular religion serving wine as their prophet's (some say literal) blood during ceremonies, so why not do the obvious thing and have followers of Armok drink (and spill) ridiculous amounts of beer in the name of Armok?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:13:00 am »

The simple reason to not do this is people take the joke too far.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 01:03:11 pm »

I imagine a church to armok being a huge bar with a tall sacrifice-dropping tower on it.

Beards would be manditory for entry.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Crunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:04 pm »

Mmmm... no, I think we're looking at it the wrong way.  It's not about a slogan, or a "thing you do" (though those are small parts of it) - and it's not really a religion (since individual dwarfs are still free to worship whatever deity they choose) - it's more a "way you live". 

It is the anti-zen. 

If there is a way to do something, you come up with the most hideously complicated, over-engineered way to do it... and when it fails catastrophically, you call it FUN.  (This is, imho, a fundamental principle of life - the worst disasters always make for the best stories later on.)

For a hobby, you might create extremely recursive artwork.

Or you might collect rocks, and study geology.  (Then start building a stone house, using blocks that you have personally cut from rocks that you yourself mined.)

Or you might dig deep holes in the back yard, then fill them with water.  (Lots of holes, and lots of water.  And when you explain your ultimate plan for said holes, people reply with stunned looks, then praise your planning and ingenuity.)

And every once in a while... who knows?  You might get into a mood where you actually complete one of these projects... and then sell the result for 100X what you paid for the materials.  But before it sells, it'll certainly give you happy thoughts every time you see it.

But the booze, the non-functional (but highly-decorated) musical instruments, the women-with-beards, the eating-of-carp (or being eaten by them, in Soviet Russia)... those are all just parts of what happens when like-minded folk gather together to swap their tales of Fun, and to plan new adventures.
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 02:03:38 pm »

If there is a way to do something, you come up with the most hideously complicated, over-engineered way to do it... and when it fails catastrophically, you call it FUN. 

Damn this is just so true and so disturbing in so many ways..
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »

"Blood for the blood god" is content from Warhammer 40k chaos rulebooks, more specifically, Khorne Chaos God. GW would like to have a word with you all.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 02:40:07 pm »

"Blood for the blood god" is content from Warhammer 40k chaos rulebooks, more specifically, Khorne Chaos God. GW would like to have a word with you all.
I was waiting for someone to bring 40K in this...
Story of my life.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »

I will go door to door and spread the word immediately
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2