Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your priorities in a new fort?  (Read 1985 times)

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your priorities in a new fort?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 07:38:48 pm »

Make a badass entrance

Always

First impressions are the longest lasting ones B|

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »

stockpiles indoor (away ye flying food-stealers!)
underground irrigation
dormatory + dining room
trading depot
coke + iron
mechanics 'shop
weaponsmithy + traps

after that I usually try to build some wood farms underground from the caverns, and I start surface-level farming including the walls around it
then its military all ze way
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:48 pm »

All within first season of embark:

Build 4 chairs/tables to dine on and 7 beds.
Set up underground farming by sacrificing a suitably sized murky pool.
Dig out entrance outline - the actual digging can happen later, but I want a rough idea.
Find the magma and locations of all 3 caverns.
Set up safe magma workshops.

In the first summer:

Make metal trade goods with magma workshops and high value metals found from getting to that magma.
Build trade depot.
Moar Trade Goods - there must be some gems we dug out too, miners should be skilled enough to retrieve them now.

In the first autumn:

Hope all that trade good production psychically invited a large immigrant wave.
Churn out weapons for traps and military.
Dig out individual bedrooms and an intermediate dining room (with easy expansion in mind).
Send propaganda back to Mountainhomes of how awesome the new fort is: "everyone should settle here next spring!"

In first winter:

Build a wall for surface farming area.
Start training military.
Set up other industries.

Dedicated floors for stockpiles and workshops can happen in the second year when I get a large immigrant wave.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 10:18:58 pm »

My standard procedure:

1. Cut trees for building material, gather plants.
2. Dig ramps and a long 3 tile wide entry/passive defense tunnel in the first soil layer, to the vicinity of a murky pool, with the internal 1x3 main stair shaft at the tunnels end (when caravans use wagons, the trade depot goes near the end of this tunnel too)
3. Dig storage halls one level deeper around the stair shaft to get all goods underground asap, including a walled room for water slightly smaller than the murky pool, while building the trade depot
4. Some ropes in the middle of the entry tunnel for watch animals to keep the thieves out
5. A basic food and booze industry in the food storage. Begin cooking training. I want some valuable roasts ready when the traders arrive.
6. Prepare the underground farm room above the food storage (gets a direct stair connection later); irrigation is done by drilling into the murky pool, excess water is absorbed by the pond at the other end of the farm room. Two farm plots for booze variety.
7. Furniture industry in the wood storage
8. A well, crude barracks with 10 beds (15 tiles away from the workshops to avoid the noise complaints), a small managers/bookkeepers office and a simple dining hall near the food storage. This will keep the morals stable. All in the same soil layer. Digging rooms in rock takes too much time now. And misleads to smoothing and engraving, which takes even more time.

At this point all basic needs are taken care of, the dwarfs are happy, the small settlement can survive on it's own and can be sealed shut for as long as necessary.

9. Drill the main shaft further down, begin mining, set up charcoal/coke production and smelters
10. After the first immigration wave a mechanics workshop and a smithy
11. Set a few lines of cage traps in the entry tunnel
12. Clothing and leather workshops
13. Set up training barracks, get the steel and armaments industry humming and start converting some of the little suckers into bloodthirsty death machines, fill the entry tunnel with serrated steel disc traps.
14. As soon as some dwarfs are armed and dangerous, search for magma sources, as they shorten the metal production chain and thereby drastically increase the output of the smelters. And they greatly reduce the need for wood harvesting too.

From here on everything is open. The fortress is sufficiently safe, the dwarfs are happy, the arms industry runs like a clockwork and fills my storages with equipment of ever improving quality, up to the point where I can afford to sell everything that is not a masterwork. More and more dwarfs will reach champion level. Time to have fun with whatever is stupid enough to approximate the fortress. And to build sphinxes left and right beside the fortress entrance. Maybe a marble temple above it. And an access road made of gold bars. Or this. Or whatever else looks suitable.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:38:37 am by style »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 11:01:15 pm »

• Embark on a Warm zone with Dolomite sedimentary layer, creek and no aquafir
  • Dig out entrance and farming zone near a drainable pond
  • Summer immigrants. Dig out production facilities for Carpentry/WoodBurning and Masonry/Mechanics/Craftshop. Begin production of Agriculture and Rock Crafts.
  • Fall immigrants and Dwarven Caravan. Trade everything for whatever they bring, so they leave exstatic. Arrange for delivery of Wod, Barrels, Cages, and whatever.
[li]Year two.[/li]
[/list]

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 12:11:21 am »

First thing I do is get my wood cutter cutting some wood and set a small wood stockpile and refuse stockpile. Then, while the wood is being cut, I have my miner start digging down for the fort. First priority there is a farming area with an irrigation system. After farm, he works on housing area. While the digging is being done, I go back to surface and make a wooden Carpenter's Shop, Masonry, and Fishery. Carpenter shop knocks out a few beds, mason shop knocks out a couple of floodgates and a few cabinets, fishery does its thing. When I hit my first chunk of stone, that's when the Trade Depot goes up. About this time the farm digging is usually pretty close to done, so I make a Mechanic's Shop to make a few mechanisms for levers and the floodgates. (I also tunnel out an area under my farm to dump the water into after irrigating so it can evaporate happily and I can farm quicker). Toss up some farm plots when the water is low enough and about that time the miner has cleared some bedrooms. Set those up and set miner to mining out workshop areas to move operations indoors.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 12:56:36 am »

-Find an embark site with iron ore and flux.

- Find an easily fortifiable position to start carving out my fortress. Start constructing a defensive area with choke points and defendable points for my above ground operations such as food stockpiles and butcher shops.

- Log the entire area and stockpile it underground.

- Start making the appropriate furniture and such.

- Get to some real Fun.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 06:42:37 am »

Branching out into more Fun maps, but so far have always had some source of fresh water be it brook or pool, lots of trees/shrubs, and I keep winding up in completely flat areas.

1a:  Miners/mechanics secure the perimeter!  Dig a ditch around the edge of the map, leaving land bridges N/E/S/W, and place trap-chutes to catch the hapless wildlife.  Additional fortification added as necessary.  (Packs of werewolves?  Drawbridges and floodgates.  Zombie deer?  It can wait.)
1b:  Meanwhile, food and lumber.  Get a small wood stockpile going, and then strip the land bare of plants.  Make the mechanisms for above said traps.  Set anyone who isn't digging or engineering to gather; they can work on their crafts/furniture later.

(In the current map:  The top four layers are soil; the bottom two are aquifers.  Top priority after rudimentary defenses and food was reaching the rock layers.)

2:  Move on to farming.  Either place some plots aboveground, or breach a few pools/tunnel from the brook.

3:  Start hollowing out room for the underground stockpiles.  If the food supplies allow for it, dedicate a dwarf to intensive chef training.  Maybe work on other trade goods--stone mugs, bone crafts.  Buy all the food off the fall caravan; next priorities are cheap leather and cloth for armor/bag-making.

4:  Finish the paranoid walling-off of the border.  Start working on secondary defenses (armor-stand barracks above the entrance, etc).  Shove any suitable immigrant into the military along with the woodcutters.  Dedicate a dwarf or two to slaughtering off the explosion of surplus animals.  Keep cooking.  Recruit a bone-crafter, if there isn't one already, to turn the refuse into something trade-able.

5:  Maybe build a dormitory and some chairs.  Dorfs are tough; they don't need coddling.  Make them a statue or something if they start sulking.

6:  Let my OCD take over as I start plotting the permanent quarters.  Get a trapper out there collecting vermin wildlife (also part of the OCD).

7:  Wait for fun.  :P
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 06:57:10 am »

1. Dig out a meeting hall, barracks, food storage (and farm in soil).

2. Build a wall around the entrance, trap it for now. Meanwhile, dig out a well from the brook.

3. Proceed with slowly developing your fort [private quaters, workshops, make booze/food), make spare beds for first autumn immigrants which show in 9/10 of my forts.

4. Have fun ;)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 10:25:45 am »

1. Start megaproject.
2. Recover from not providing any basic supplies during the first year.
3. ?
4. Profit.
Pages: 1 [2]