Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your current feeling on Forgotten beasts?

They are awesome. I want to put a leash on them and take them for a walk.
- 53 (39.3%)
They are good, espically to keep the caverns interesting and train my dwarfs.
- 37 (27.4%)
Whatever, they are just a new part of the game.
- 12 (8.9%)
They are annoying, especially the unkillable ones.
- 24 (17.8%)
I HATE THEM! THEY DONT DIE! And they burn my fort.
- 9 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: July 07, 2010, 08:28:33 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Spoiler! Opinion on Forgotten Beasts  (Read 2699 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler! Opinion on Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »

Like everything else in DF, Forgotten Beasts are interesting and cool until one of them rampages through my fortress with impunity whilst flipping me off. After which they suck suck suck.

Toady's recent devlogs look promising, though :D
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:01 pm »

AWESOME

One comes and is killed by a dog.
Another comes, I go "meh, another one...", and next time I look, there are only two kids left :)
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 12:18:16 am »

It all depends on the beast. I've had about 8 I've run into. Of that, all but one was squishy as all hell. One came in and simply wouldn't die. Every part of its body was red, but it was still breathing poison on all of my dwarves. They all died.  Most, though, end up being easily beaten. I had one walk into my fort and promptly be 3-shot by a novice sworddwarf. She didn't even take any damage. I made her Captain of the Guard for her amazing feat.

Pics or it didn't happen?

Okay, so basically she /could/ have 2-shot it, but she got in that last shot just to make /sure/ it was dead.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 12:47:03 am »

I'm a little divided on FBs. I really like the concept (though agree with the 'nuke' complaint, which is fixed for the next build) but do find that the killable ones are sort of not enough challenge, but at the same time "more difficult combat" would probably translate to "more likely to kill your best trained dwarf." Due to the control scheme there's just not  a lot of granularity to put into the combat itself, at least on the player's side. I'd like it if the FBs were significantly more durable (though I think their damage is fine) and there were a way to tell a dwarf to disengage so you can monitor the fight and make some tactical decisions.

Of course I'd rather have a fully functional military first where I can schedule different activities without feeling like I'm getting lucky with a stack of jenga when it's working.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 07:24:30 am »

Awesome until I realized my plan for dealing with the "unkillables" didn't work. Had a humanoid composed, of all things, vomit come over and say hello.
Military chopped him up into nothing but a torso, legs, and head... but it refused to die. My plan was to raise a bridge, dropping him into a spike pit 15 levels down. Alas, the bridge refused to raise.
Eventually a cavein on the bridge solved the problem, sending him on his merry way. Will have to try retracting bridges in the future...

As for other FBs, they could be beefed up a bit. The closest I've even been to a plague was a FB that spewed fumes everywhere. Only one dwarf ended up catching the fumes, but the only thing that happened was all his body parts went yellow and he was in "extreme pain" in every body part. Or he would be, except for the fact he was numb. After a season he recovered and I saw nothing more of it.

All other FBs just got butchered up by my military. They, and other megabeasts, need to be at least as strong as an entire goblin ambush or siege.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:36:00 am by Lightning4 »

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 07:57:42 am »

Yeah bridges and traps don't work, and military is hit or miss, so it leaves cave-ins and obsidianization which are both annoying to construct, especially if you expand your controlled area every so often.  I've just walled in a good sized portion of cavern (to the ceiling) and I only open a hole if I think my military can take it on.  It's a little annoying to finish off one FB only to have another appear a month later.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 08:09:09 am »

Real dwarves don't hide.

I love forgotten beasts, but nothing should be unkillable. It takes all the game out of the game.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 10:06:07 am »

The 3 forgotens that I have had all got mutalated very quickly by my band of 4 steel clad tri legendary+5 axe dwarfs :(

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:05 am »

Not really a fan of the whole "randomly generated creature" thing, but it works great in the context of Forgotten Beasts.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

hambeargur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:48 am »

More megabeasts = more fun!

• I had a dwarven baby last night try to punch a FB for 2 pages of combat log before it nocked the baby out and beast blew itself up with its dust. The baby outlasted it but briefly died later.
  • Once the the immortal beasts are fixed epic battles will ensue.
  • Airlock caverns and collect forgotten beasts. Wait for goblin siege. Make popcorn and watch the hilarity ensue!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

I love all of the randomly generated monsters.Also how many randomly generated monster types are there?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 01:38:13 pm »

I just got one thats made of clear glass... I'm guessing thats the unkillable kind... Good thing I walled in the cavern... might trap him in my arena though...

john_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »

A giant cave crocodile with three eyes and six legs was fun to fight when it knocked everyone unconscious with its breath. I eventually killed it, but my dwarves did noting but fall down every step they took. When my first goblin siege came along, I got slaughtered thanks to my sleepy military.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 06:57:38 pm »

I love all of the randomly generated monsters.Also how many randomly generated monster types are there?
There's also
I think that's it.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 01:48:07 am »

There are no un-killable creatures in dwarf fortress. I promise. All those material-based creatures can be killed or otherwise rendered nonthreatening in numerous ways, just not by sending your military at them with 2 keypresses. Is anyone really still having problems with "unkillable" forgotten beasts (and this isn't their first fort in 31.x?)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3