Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your current feeling on Forgotten beasts?

They are awesome. I want to put a leash on them and take them for a walk.
- 53 (39.3%)
They are good, espically to keep the caverns interesting and train my dwarfs.
- 37 (27.4%)
Whatever, they are just a new part of the game.
- 12 (8.9%)
They are annoying, especially the unkillable ones.
- 24 (17.8%)
I HATE THEM! THEY DONT DIE! And they burn my fort.
- 9 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: July 07, 2010, 08:28:33 am

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spoiler! Opinion on Forgotten Beasts  (Read 2696 times)

Jztiberius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spoiler! Opinion on Forgotten Beasts
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:33 am »

SO, how do you all feel about Forgotten beasts? Do you hate them? Love them? Why? Please elaborate.

As for me, I really do enjoy the challenge. In my current fort they are the only thing that really keep me challenged to defeat them. I can say that I have not had any megabeasts yet so that is not in the equation for me. Especially the dev notes mentioned the unkilliable ones will soon be killable, I am excited.

How about the rest of you?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler! Opinion on Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:55:47 am »

thats a tough one for me, i sorta like e, but so far i dont know, they're kinda scary... until you find out that a mangy, fleabitten dog took mine down in 5 minutes  :-\
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:13:03 am »

I think I'll really like them once they're all killable without elaborate cave-ins.  Til now I've just been ignoring them and staying within secure perimeters in the caverns.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:21:25 am »

I don't like the regular beasts. I do enjoy the inorganic ones, though. They provide a nice challenge, especially if they only have one-part body plans. That's why I have a cave-in gun over every entrance I have.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:05:22 am »

I like them, but I'd like if they were a bit stronger. 1 guy in steel armor with an axe can kill any killable forgotten beast unharmed :(.

Jztiberius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:07:03 am »

I thought the same thing, until I had one blow a fire ball at my squad and it ripped one in half, and he still lived because my doctors are great. But he was kill-able. I still have the living fireball in a hole somewhere.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:25:06 am »

I have no problem with the organic ones, but the unkillable ones just aren't fair. Especially if they can fly. I could just use a cave in trap to deal with them, but there isn't any satisfaction or challenge in that. Since FB apparently have a compulsive need to smash any building they see, they really can't be a threat if you use a cave in trap. I just don't see how they are good game design.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:21:37 pm »

Terrible and gimmicky.  They're either incredibly fragile due to their lack of armor or nigh-impossible to kill. 

There are also the ones that are easy to kill, but inevitably wipe out your whole military via plague or something afterwards.  To make matters worse, the plague status is NOT SHOWN ANYWHERE, so there's no way to tell until dwarves start randomly dropping dead.

Also, "beware its deadly spittle!" can mean anything from a forgotten beast that ineffectually spews harmless gas instead of ever actually attacking, or one with the above mentioned plague of doom.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 12:40:49 pm »

Like much in DF, I love the concept, and I love that Toady seems to be aiming for the same goal I see when I play, but the execution still needs polish. Hopefully FB's will be better balanced once all the bugs are done, otherwise we may be stuck with them for a while.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:29 pm »

It's irritating that to explore the underground caverns, which are really cool, you need to build an obsidian trap, since said trap basically makes everything boring.

The beasts are cool, but it's not cool to have to resort to the nuclear option in your first year.  It makes everything boring.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:14:37 pm »

I like them. They make the game more interesting. You never know what you're going to face.
What I don't like is that they are so hard to find in adventure mode.
It seems like you can only lure them out of the underworld in fortress mode and I don't play that so often.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:02 pm »

The beasts are cool, but it's not cool to have to resort to the nuclear option in your first year.  It makes everything boring.
you can nuke the caverns!?!?!? Darkrider2 - has the aspect of one fey!

I just don't like the fact that I can't use an entire cavern layer (or two if there is a vertical passage) when I get a FB. But I suppose it isn't too bad as long as I can use a trusty cave-in trap.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »

Like much in DF, I love the concept, and I love that Toady seems to be aiming for the same goal I see when I play, but the execution still needs polish. Hopefully FB's will be better balanced once all the bugs are done, otherwise we may be stuck with them for a while.
This. He just said most of what I would say.

I would add, however, that there is a little too much variation in their power. Where one will be taken down by a kitten, another will spew cave-in dust that causes extreme instant bleeding (had both). And did I mention the latter was made out of diamond? Yyyyyeah. Too much variation.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

alxnotorious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »

I actually like the new Forgotten Beasts. I rarely encounter/ed any Titans during my first fortresses, so it's nice to have the option of digging down if you feel bored enough to add some Fun to your fortress. I have yet to run into any unkillables, so my experience with them is obviously different from the rest of you. I kind of wish they'd drop some loot though only because all they're basically good for is experience, a title, and the aforementioned Fun.
WAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRBBBLLLGARRBBLE. THE KING OF HAND CREAMS HAS SENT YOU HERE, AND THE POD IS THE THRONE OF THE GOBLIN EMPEROR. DESTROY ALL UNBELIEVERS.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

I find them to be interesting and rather awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3