Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need... A site. (ENDGAME SPOILERS, also SLOW CONNECTION UNFRIENDLY)  (Read 3058 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I plan to break into hell... Again. I plan to survive this time. Last time, I forgot to set my military to guard my infernal entrance, and so I died. This time, before I even begin, I want the perfect site. I'm having trouble finding this, any help would be appreciated.

I need a vanilla 31.08 site that has:
Water in cavern layer 3
A magma pool that ends in cavern layer 3
At least three deposits
A curious structure (preferably near the center of the map)
Flux
Iron
Sand
No aquifer
Ideally, an igneous intrusive layer (because gold and addy go so well together)

It can't be larger than 5x5 because my laptop sucks.

This is the site I need to beat this game. I will build my fort in Hell, with the temple as its entrance. The three deposits will be used for magma and water pipelines, as well as the entrance to my mines. The fort (or at least the main entrance area) will be made of clear glass. The magma pool is so that I may set up camp in cavern 3 and easily outfit my military in full steel before storming the depths.

So has anyone found this?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:47:12 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need... A site. (ENDGAME SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:26:24 am »

Take it as first-hand experience, from a man who sieged HFS successfully - the only way to do it is someone pulling a lever indefinitely + over nine thousand spike traps in a corridor + a magma you can unleash on the traps to clean down the corpses. Military is useless. Adamantine is useful, but only for a while. Dwarves are useless. Knowledge is useless. Automation is power.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:47:01 am »

I'm curious - do any more demons spawn from the fortress than from just breaching the HFS normally?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:58 am »

You will want to save the seed and modify the settings so you only get one type of demon. It is a bit of roulette to getting one that is not invincible. But I guess that is fixed in the next version.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:34:26 am »

I'm curious - do any more demons spawn from the fortress than from just breaching the HFS normally?

The structure only spawns undead. Only the carnival's glowing pits spawn demons, except the initial shitstorm wave.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:00 am »

I know. I was wondering if there was any difference in the size of the shitstorm wave.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:45 am »

Not really, it's based on whatever the RNG feels up to.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:27 am »

I found a site with everything I need except the magma pool (I modded out aquifers, all non-sand soils, and made all stones except limestone, chalk, dolomite, granite, gabbro, diorite, and marble igneous extrusive).

Image of the dread reveal to come (forecast: pain)

EDIT:
Spoiler: Dear God I'm doomed (click to show/hide)

The demons:

10 Haunts of Fire (An enormous blob composed of flame. It has a round shell and it undulates rythmically. Beware its poisonous sting!)
31 Specters of Salt (Another huge blob composed of salt. It has an enormous shell and it has a gaunt appearance.)
40 Gray Spirits (A gigantic hornet composed of ash. It has an enormous shell and it has a gaunt appearance. Beware its poisonous sting!)
12 Hadrosaurid Demons (A huge one-eyed hadrosaurid. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it squirms and fidgets. Its crimson scales are jagged and close-set. Beware its deadly dust!)
10 Winged Demons (A gigantic scaly snail. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it belches and croaks. Its dark indigo scales are large and close-set. Beware its webs!)
10 Salt Brutes (a huge quadruped composed of solid salt. It has three narrow tails and it has a gaunt appearance. Beware its webs!)
43 Lavender Jade Brutes (A gigantic quadruped composed of lavender jade. It has a twisting, jointed trunk and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly dust!)

156 demons total, 51 unkillable except by cave-in, obsidian, or new version (too warm for ice).

The undead:

32 One-Humped Camels (16 zombie, 16 skeletal)
17 Foxes (7 zombie, 10 skeletal)
36 Muskoxen (19 zombie, 17 skeletal)
18 Zombie Green Devourers
93 Gazelles (55 zombie, 38 skeletal) + 1 zombie, 1 skeletal dead

196 undead total (115 zombie, 81 skeletal)

Shall I proceed? I'm going to wait for 31.09...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:45:25 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the blobs and the gray spirit might be unkillable and the hadrasaurid dust can give you troubles, but the rest shouldn't be too though. How do you get at 51 unkillable?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to fucking Dwarf Fortress.

However, I'm surprised at the sheer amount of demons, I hit ~80 at most. Nothing even close to 100, to say 150... you're unlucky.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need... A site. (ENDGAME SPOILERS, also SLOW CONNECTION UNFRIENDLY)
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 02:02:07 pm »

the blobs and the gray spirit might be unkillable and the hadrasaurid dust can give you troubles, but the rest shouldn't be too though. How do you get at 51 unkillable?

The snails. I checked - the hornet demons have head/thorax/abdomen parts, and as such can be dismembered to death.

Also I should note that the demons were present before taking the sword (I revealed first thing, haven't even struck the earth yet).

EDIT:
Welcome to fucking Dwarf Fortress.

However, I'm surprised at the sheer amount of demons, I hit ~80 at most. Nothing even close to 100, to say 150... you're unlucky.

I think more testing needs to be done, but it seems that the DF does indeed spawn more demons than a normal breach would.

Also 200 undead.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:25:05 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »

I posted a site on the lastest story I wrote in the community and stories forum section.  It needs to be at least 2x8 wide to fit in everything, but you get a river up North, a volcano leading down to the magma sea (so easy quick magma access for forging), a single, perfect pyramid mointain peak in front of a cliff face, plenty of caverns and I think I dug about 12 Z down from the river level before finding the first cavern, so there is plenty of room for establishing yourself.  I found 2 deposits before I died, but I hadn't explored far at that point.  There is also water in each of the 3 cavern levels.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60441.0

^ In case you're interested in having a gander.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 06:32:57 pm »

Holy carp pudding Bill Cosby!, I think I'd have better chances against massive goblin Sieges over those odds.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »

Where do I have to go, and how deep do I have to dig, to find this "carnival" the "sword" and "hell"? :D