Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Impossible demands  (Read 4877 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impossible demands
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »

So, to date I have seen demands for specific animal bone goods (moghoppers are a good example, since vermin have no bones and bones cannot be imported) and slade (which is unattainable) both.  Other demands, such as for native copper, are technically feasible (albeit only if it's either present on the map or available for import, requiring you to import one of EVERY SINGLE STONE EVAR in case your new mayor demands saltpeter goods), but in some cases it's downright ridiculous.  Mandates for pig iron items can only be met by creating pig iron bars, for instance.

Is there there any way to remove ridiculous preferences like slade and specific animal bone types to prevent this sort of nonsense?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible demands
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:52 pm »

There is.
Prepare an unfortunate accident for the noble in question...And it's done.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:24:59 pm »

Preferences for impossible materials can be removed with magma, along with the noble professing them.

Other than that, no.  AFAIK there's no utility that allows you to edit a dwarf's preferences.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:55 am »

My last mayor demanded slade goods, so I sent him to look for some slade.
He hasn't come back.
I'm not too worried.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:49:45 am »

If you're playing 2010 you can just replace your mayor with someone who makes sensible demands.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 04:25:32 am »

My last mayor demanded slade goods, so I sent him to look for some slade.
He hasn't come back.
I'm not too worried.
Slade!?!?SLADE??!?!?!? Magma is demanding mayor.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:44 am »

i have one military/scout personell, and i never comeplete the demands, but i do the mandates, my baroness demands fine pewter and shit, i can make it, just dont want to..

so the first person my good ol' sheriff arrests is the town invalid, a bowyer who cant walk and stays in a hospital bed all day...

Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 07:56:33 am »

i have one military/scout personell, and i never comeplete the demands, but i do the mandates, my baroness demands fine pewter and shit, i can make it, just dont want to..

so the first person my good ol' sheriff arrests is the town invalid, a bowyer who cant walk and stays in a hospital bed all day...

Dwarfs that look like your avatar get all my moods, maybe its all this sitting in your own blood all day that inspires them.

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 12:43:33 pm »

Haven't gotten a request for slade yet... but I've got a metalsmith in chains due to a failed request for items made of "horn silver". It's horn silver! It's unrefined! And I'm not going to forbid all stone but horn silver until someone makes something out of it. Luckily, the mayor who made the demand was not re-elected.

The problem I have now is I'm on a mountainous map that's too cold for turtles. So, no shells. And all but two strange moods I've gotten have wanted stupid shells.

And no, I'm not going to mod the files to produce "cat shell" or "horse shell".

WumpusKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

And no, I'm not going to mod the files to produce "cat shell" or "horse shell".

You can and should mod bulls to yield "Mountain Oyster Shells".  :P

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:21:36 pm »

The problem I have now is I'm on a mountainous map that's too cold for turtles. So, no shells. And all but two strange moods I've gotten have wanted stupid shells.

Have you checked for cave lobsters? They've got shells.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 06:02:30 pm »

Have you checked for cave lobsters? They've got shells.
Last I heard they don't yield shells in .31
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »

The best modding solution is to open ENTITY_DEFAULT.TXT and scroll down in the dwarven civilization entries for the tags relating to the Noble positions. You can remove the tags:

Code: [Select]
[DEMAND_MAX:#]
[MANDATE_MAX:#]

To stop your nobles from making mandates or demands. Just delete the whole line, rather than setting it to 0.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

But the thing is, I don't want to kill off mandates...  even the difficult ones (native copper items) make the game more interesting and, I feel, add a bit more flavor to the fortress in adventure mode.  Like, journeying to the tomb-level of a fort and finding a chamber with a lay pewter door, walls, coffin, and several statues, along with the bones of one of the fort's former nobles and a few chests containing their collection of lay pewter goods and earrings.

I just don't want my masons to spend half of their days in jail for failing to create objects out of slade.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »

So long as the captain of your guard is unarmed you can safely ignore mandates. I had a noble who liked both slade AND adamantine but I kept her around because it amused me when she was occasionally slap dwarves around. It would not cause any damage of course.

If you go with the prison route be sure to have your prison cells with their own plump helmet stockpiles and wells so that your prisoners can eat and drink for themselves. I prefer this design:

Code: [Select]
XXXXX
XP.WX
X.J.X
X...X
XXDXX

P = plump helmet stockpile
W = well
J = chain
D = door

Pages: [1] 2