Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Longest Fight of All Time  (Read 1257 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Longest Fight of All Time
« on: June 29, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »

Some dwarven merchants came to trade. Okay, sounds fun. until Urist McFarmer entered into a berserk rage. He ran straight through the entire fortress, found the merchant, and began assaulting him. Now, the caravan guards had been fighting off a goblin ambush when the season changed. At the season change, both guards and goblins vanished. Go figure.

So, unprotected, the merchant was forced to fight off Urist McPsycho with his own two fists. Since neither of them were armed or armoured, the fight started to last a little while. Watching the scene play out, I noticed something- they were healing faster than they were getting hurt. O.o

As a result, the fight dragged on, and on, and on, until I forgot about it. I came back later, and sure enough, they were still going at it halfway across the map on a mountainside. Neither had any injuries. The fight continued until Urist McDidn'tPlanAhead died of thirst.

That took a while.

Now, the merchant just stands around my trade depot, which is still full of his goods, with no apparent intention of packing up and leaving, which he was supposed to do months ago. Despite this, I cannot trade with him. I wonder- what will happen when the elves arrive in spring?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Fight of All Time
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:51:39 pm »

deconstruct the trade depot, chaces are you'll get all the stuff for free
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:32 pm »

I had something like this too. Noticed that even broken and mangled bones regularly healed faster than damage was dealed. And that a berserk spiral with several participants is possible in an otherwise perfecty ecstatic fortress. Keeping everyone else parched and starving, cause the unaffected dwarfes run around like chicken and get no job done. For 3 seasons!

Wrestling should have been degraded, yes. But this eternal nerd fight nonsense is absurd. Disabling an untrained opponent IRL is easy, even if you have next to no combat experience. And...the fact that instead breaking out in laughter and getting a happy thought about the freak show, everyone runs away frightened...wtf?...these are not my dwarfes. No. Drown them all in magma and erase this fortress from all chronicles!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:38:47 pm by style »

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:10:58 am »

lol, i had  a giant scorpion wailing on a flesh ball with a leather hat for a good few ingame years

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:48:42 am »

Hehe eternal nerd fight...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »

I had something similar not too long ago. It was a Jay. I ended up throwing several reclaims at him, all with bronze gear. Eventually he went down, but the only wounds that consistently remained were his broken antenna. I'm not sure why.

But this problem is, according to the Dev Log, fixed.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »

lol, i had  a giant scorpion wailing on a flesh ball with a leather hat for a good few ingame years

Hm, leather hat? I'm suddenly coming with a picture of Yahtzee's head photoshopped to a scorpion.

On topic, I haven't tried to wrestle any creatures in this new version. This calls for some arena testing!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"