Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Listing the Various Clowns (Unmarked Spoliers, enter at own risk)  (Read 838 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Right, so the demons may or may not be are randomly generated. The string dump shows what might be a demon raw file that can be viewed here:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55926.75

I propose we attempt to list all the demon types we can find in this thread. Should everyone come across the same demons, we just might be able to tell for sure. I myself am currently on my way to hell in adventure mode and will begin listing once I arrive. For those who wish to participate, simply list the demon type's name and discription.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:46:48 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Re: Listing the Various Clowns (Unmarked Spoliers, enter at own risk)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:14:38 am »

Demons are generated randomly in this version. But I will humor you. The last time I hit demons, I got get giant flaming winged bulls (ironically called Snow Wraith). Also, there were heads with 4 wings.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:18:42 am by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:47 am »

Even if they are random, making a list of the possible ones is still a good endevor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Demon#ixzz0sFWFWBFV

Although the exact algorithm used to produce demons is unknown, something of the algorithm can be gathered from the string dump and analysis of demons. When generating a demon, the game begins by picking a creature from a predefined list, which is fixed and includes creatures not found in vanilla DF (such as kangaroo, anteater, ankylosaurid) and more general shapes (blob, quadruped, and humanoid). It is granted spheres, with a preference for "negative" spheres like misery, death, and torture. If inorganic, a material will be chosen (such as salt, fire, ice, or vomit). If organic, it will get some sort of randomly-colored covering (such as feathers or hair) or have its skin removed. It will be granted a few "extra" features, like a tail, a trunk, or a shell, and a flavorful descriptor (such as "it knows and intones the names of all it encounters"). It may get some sort of special attack (such as a poisonous sting, toxic breath, fire breath). It will finally be given a name consisting of an adjective and a noun. The adjective will be based on the creature's color, its material (such as "inferno" or "snow"), or a descriptor (such as "winged" or "skinless"), and the noun chosen from the following list: demon, devil, fiend, brute, monster, spirit, ghost, banshee, haunt, phantom, specter, or wraith.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:52:30 am »

It should also be noted that demons based on animals can be named after them. For example, I encountered an "ape demon" that happened to be winged, skinless, and web shooting. In addition to being skinless, various facial features are often removed from demons, such as the eyes, -- which allows the "blind" descriptor -- or the nose. Note that the only noseless demon I've encountered was a skunk monster. Whether that's hardcoded or just unintentional game humor remains to be seen. Finally, various whole-body modifications are often applied to demons, such as "bloated" or "gaunt". These are quite independent of the body-fat descriptors present for all creatures, leading to contradictions like a "bloated" yellow wombat being "skinny".
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.