Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: And the nightmare ends  (Read 2890 times)

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
And the nightmare ends
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:52:58 am »

Lets just hope this time we can kill that bronze colossus now.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: And the nightmare ends
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:56:30 am »

Note - random critters. Bronze Colossi aren't random - they're summoned by your very desire to not encounter one.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:57:38 am »

It's still material based.  >:(

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:15:14 am »

It's still material based.  >:(
it depends on solution Toady One used:
  • if he added weak spots to random critters-> only random critters will be killable
  • if he tweaked materials so that weak metals could sometimes smash/break apart harder material -> all beasts are vulnerable
Guess we will have to wait and see.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:13:10 am »

Bronze Collosi can be defeated as is, if something sufficiently big and sharp cleaves their head off. Make about 300 exceptional or masterpiece giant steel axe blades and attach them to exceptional weapon traps lining your enterance tunnel (10 a piece). I'm pretty sure this will kill it (a steel two handed sword is sufficient for a creature to lop off a Colli's head, but that's not dwarf wield-able. The giant axe blade has the same edge value as a two handed sword so it's worth a shot)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 04:42:25 am »

Aren't they defeatable already, or does this exclude death by collapses, magma pits and 50Z pits?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 05:01:18 am »

I somehow get the feeling it'll just be a sort of kludge like with the undead, since solving it via combat tweaking would result in quite a few other things as well (the dev note was kind of terse about it, only mentioning those particular creatures, and only random ones at that), and also since it seems to have been done rather quickly. But who knows.

That's my feeling too -- the "headless material-based creatures" fix may have been as simple as guaranteeing that all random creatures have a crucial body part that isn't part of the body root, and can therefore be amputated.  In practical terms, that just means sticking a head on creatures that didn't have one.

Creatures with fluid/sandy central body parts that have them "broken away" have all remaining limbs severed and instantly die, and the solid creatures like demons made from quartz that don't have heads/lower bodys/thought parts will die when their central body is wounded enough that the game registers function loss for it.  That will apply to any creature that doesn't have a special child body part, like a child head/thought/lower body that would let the creature be killed.  It's a kludge in the sense that we don't really have a sense of when a living ball of rock should die because there isn't a concept of its underlying nature.

I still need to mess with cumulative wounds being able to break things, which may be today.  I'm not convinced that is a good way to a lot of the time though.  If you are only scratching a bronze colossus, those are scratches on a giant hunk of metal and there wouldn't be an appreciable tree chopping or cracking/structural instability effect there.  I should probably just fill it with something and make sure it can be punctured at this point, until there are more ways to kill things that can't be killed by a regular squad.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:52 am »

Bronze Collosi can be defeated as is, if something sufficiently big and sharp cleaves their head off. Make about 300 exceptional or masterpiece giant steel axe blades and attach them to exceptional weapon traps lining your enterance tunnel (10 a piece). I'm pretty sure this will kill it (a steel two handed sword is sufficient for a creature to lop off a Colli's head, but that's not dwarf wield-able. The giant axe blade has the same edge value as a two handed sword so it's worth a shot)
Or just place a cage trap...
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:58:29 pm »

Aren't Colossi and all other titans\megabeasts\forgotten beasts [TRAPAVOID]ers?
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

Aren't Colossi and all other titans\megabeasts\forgotten beasts [TRAPAVOID]ers?

Surprisingly not.  I had a Colossus show up a couple of weeks ago.  He smashed my entrance up pretty badly, took one step inside and came off worse to a cage trap.  He was sacrificed to the volcano god shortly thereafter.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »

Eventually however you won't be able to hold anything bigger than a fluffy wambler with a -glass cage-

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 03:12:25 am »

Ahhh damn, I can at least confirm that random clowns are immune to traps, don't set off pressure plates, and won't automatically break supports.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:32 am »

immune to traps

You must mean conventional traps, like serrated discs or falling rocks... nothing is immune to 5000 tons of obsidian falling on their head or a 50Z drop to magma.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

nothing is immune to 5000 tons of obsidian falling on their head

Speaking of which, I figured out a buildingdestroyer-proof obsidian cave-in trap. I will not give details, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »

06/30/2010: I've added in some more cumulative damage effects and fixed problems that had arisen with the swing velocity and impact calculations. The bronze colossus can die, unarmed striking fights end eventually now, and I had 13 dwarves with maces beat 13 dwarves with swords (with 2 and 3 dwarves remaining in two tests), so many of the issues seem to be resolved. Several bugs related to ranged weapons should be up within a few days, but I'll probably want to check a few more things here.
Pages: [1] 2