Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rugs  (Read 1132 times)

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rugs
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »

So, would it be possible to create a reaction for the loom to take maybe 3 units of thread, and make a rug, then a custom building that requires 1 rug to be built? Looking at "reaction_other" and "building_custom" it seems it should be possible, but I would like to verify before struggling on something impossible.

Playing with it now I guess you would need to make it an item somewhere, such as an item in "item_toy."

Hmmm. And would the rug item tell the color the thread was used in it's production?

Thinking about it further, I guess it wouldn't be possible for the item to have some sort of description, such as an engraved wall gets?

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
Re: Rugs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:13 pm »

Shouldn't be a problem, should it? Things like cabinets are passable and coloured the material they're made out of. Though do dwarves slow down passing cabinets like they do when passing one another in a narrow corridor?

That wouldn't be good behaviour for a rug item
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 11:17:18 pm »

Well you could make a dummy item called rug, however making it specific that the building uses ONLY rug for being built might be the hard part.

If I were you, I'd just use cloth (seeing as it more or less is a rug already) Use x amount of cloth for rug. You could make multiple rug workshops and have difference sizes and designs.

Your max allowable workshop size is 32x32. I have the link for it in my guide on the second post.

Custom Workshop Workshop is what you'll look for.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:46:11 pm »

Hmm, okay, thanks for the help!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:15 am »

What if you made a custom 3x3 building which required 3 units of cloth to build, and had all tiles set as passable? It would add the cloth value to the room it was built in, and would still allow dorfs to walk over it.

Just don't give it any reactions.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:49:52 pm »

That's more or less what I was saying ;P
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:57 pm »

You can sort of do this in the regular game without mods.

Just create paved roads. Build the paved roads out of things like gold blocks. It adds to the value of the room. To increase the number of gold blocks used create a whole bunch of 1x1 roads. Each 1x1 road will use 1 gold block. If you make a 10x10 room is only uses 23 blocks. While this is more efficient than constructing a floor if you want to cover a large amount of area, fewer blocks are used so less value is added to the room.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:24:04 pm »

Yeah, but I'm not looking for a quick fix to raise the value of a room, I wanted to add some character to it, ya know? Just a bit of detail that lets you be more creative with room design. Although you do bring up a interesting point Hyndis with metal, it'd be interesting to have an adamantine woven rug. :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 03:53:24 pm »

That's more or less what I was saying ;P
Ah yeah, sorry. Missed that. :)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 04:20:50 pm »

The immediate problem I see with warping workshops into rugs is that you couldn't build furniture on them.  That's a feature I'd definitely want, at least for rugs bigger than 1x1.

What about adding, hm, special woods in all 16 colors that don't have trees?  (Can you even add wood to the raws that way?)  Or special metals that don't have ores, perhaps.  The downside of this would be that you couldn't force a rug-like symbol instead of the construction's + symbol.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

That's the problem with constructions like floors and roads, you're a little limited.

Making all the available colors in stones or gems would be real easy, metal would probably be the most useful of all of them (seeing as you can make it make a lot of other stuff)

End result is... it's up to you.

If you so need it, I'll quickly write up all the colors in an inorganic file (metals most likely) and let you have at it that way.

Cloth is a little bit more tricky iirc.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »

If you go with the paved road method you can build a bunch of 1x1 paved roads, using various types of metal, stone, or even wood. To get different colors you can use different materials. You of course cannot build furniture on top of a road, but thats why you use 1x1 roads. Not only does it get you more value in the room but it also allows you to add or remove section of the "carpet" to put in a piece of furniture.

Take out a 1x1 piece of road and put in a cabinet there. The other pieces of road can be left in place, or deconstructed if you want to add in something else.

You can even combined a constructed flood with a paved road.

Say, first make the floor out of gold blocks. Then on top of that gold block floor add in 1x1 sections of gold block paved roads, leaving spaces for furniture.

Then just get that dwarf with all of the gold floor and carpet a red felt hat and a cane...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:43:02 pm by Hyndis »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

At that point it seems like it's a little too much work for pseudo rugs...

If anything constructed floors out of all the available colors seem to be the choice.

You can even make these extra materials extra valuable... however I tend not to do that... I make all stone and metal minus adamantine and other precious metals worth zero.