Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on world generation [spoiler]  (Read 678 times)

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on world generation [spoiler]
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:26 pm »

Does anyone know if the 'bottom layer' setting being turned off removes adamantite and HFS or just HFS? Or what?

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question on world generation [spoiler]
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »

Nevermind I just applied some dwarven science to it. It appears removing the bottom layer removes the HFS and all the adamantite. Sad I was hoping for adamantite without instant fortress death... As a side note with all the caverns off and minimal distances between layers I have a map that only goes down 8 layers before hitting the magma sea and 18 before it stops me from going any deeper. Whereas with all 3 caverns and 100 layers between I can have a map that lets me go down over 500 layers. Crazy epic options.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:55:32 pm »

I have a question along the same vein, nd it might prove helpful toyou Sarudak, if the answer is what I think it is.

Does reducing the number of demon types to "0" effectively remove all demons?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:21 pm »

Oddly I just tested that and the answer is yes. No demons with demon types zero... Seems kinda cheap to break into hell and have nothing happen though... I'd like to try my hand against the demons in 40d too bad I wasn't playing then. But I guess if you want adamantite with no insta death then set demon types to 0. No death at all in fact. I wish I could set the number of demons or the spawn levels of demons instead to make the onslaught at least interesting...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »

Good to know, thanks.
It was only a thought for certain challenge forts, not for any normal fort. You're right about setting the spawn speed/gen numbers. That would make setting up "sweet spot" conditions a lot easier.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:24:10 pm »

As a side note the z levels between layers all default to minimum settings when doing a custom world which means it defaults to only having ~40 including the magma sea and HFS

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:33:03 pm »

Do note that if you turn off all the cavern layers, your dwarven civ won't have access to plump helmets and you won't be able to embark with them or plant any underground seeds.  (That was in one of the early 31.0x releases, perhaps it's been fixed?)

I like to play with 1 cavern layer and demon types = 1.  That way I don't have to go so ridiculously far down to reach magma, and I'm hoping that with demon types = 1 that 1 demon type won't be able to fly through fortifications (carved into the adamantine to find the hole without actually opening it).
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"