Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 219840 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Magma solves everything - (31.25) (Succession)
« Reply #900 on: August 20, 2011, 05:40:08 am »

I've just realised that by the time it gets to my turn the sheer number of workarounds required is going to be insane...
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 20, 2011, 05:43:57 am »

Katana's Journal #2[/u]

Some time in spring
Alright, I talked to a previous overseer. He's saying that the engineer-looking guy also demanded yarn cloth or something, and we don't have that. And the fire above him is a lignite bin. I wonder how it actually got set on fire...

I still don't understand why Urist seems to be sealed off from the fortress. He seems to have killed many dwarves, along with a more notable one called "Pisano II". Oh and he's the mayor. Strangely, he actually seems happy in there. Wait, I just checked records. Is this his "prison" or something? Plus, all those deceased in the justice records.

What happened here? Meanwhile, mass floor engraving. That's nicer to think about.

To the right of there, I noticed some upright spears... It looks like a training area. I have practically no experience, so I might as well try it. Meanwhile, our only armorer is also engraving. STOP THAT AND MAKE ME MY ARMOR.
OOC: Just noticed, I have a pet black bear and a pet cat.

So, I went to the upright spears and told someone to pull the lever. They retracted. Pulled again. They raised, and some idiot dragged me to hospital for a bruised foot. Then some idiot stole the adamantine armor I ordered made, so I had to settle with whatever else we had.

Some time later while organizing my training device, I hear this:

And this.

Ah well, that thing was in the caverns, we'll be alright...
Then an engineer or something bleeds to death.
No worries, it was just our strange guy who decided to walk into the flaming lignite bin.

And at the end of spring, I have become a legendary swordsdwarf.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Nunzillor

« Reply #902 on: August 21, 2011, 09:23:37 pm »

McDuck is no longer a member of the other dwarfs' civilization.  Best leave him be.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 22, 2011, 04:35:31 am »

Yeah unleashing Urist might be a really bad idea. In fact its a terrible idea.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 22, 2011, 11:02:28 am »

What happened?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:12 am »

Katana's Journal #3

some time in summer

Apart from training, I have no idea what to do. There seem to be various magma/water experiments that appear to have failed, making large areas unusable and very dangerous. One small area is entirely flooded, remains of a lever and some storage objects can be seen. We've got this random barrel of "liquid". Nobody wants to tell me what this "liquid" actually is. 
     Uhm, an elven caravan arrived. They're just standing there? Hm, looks like there's no way in. I'll try pulling this orthoclase lever near the entrance, maybe it's connected to something. A few minutes later, there was no difference. Let's try another lever. You know what, try EVERY lever. Hey you, "The Puller", you pull lots of levers. Which one opens the entrance?
"Um... I dunno. I just pull them."
Great. Hey wait, looks like there's another entrance up north. It's some kind of maze of cage traps. Oh yeah and an ambush was spotted. Let's see now, a dog died. Some poor guy's pet. Meanwhile, Dodok the miner was caught outside and actually badly wounded one goblin before escaping. Then some other named dog was killed while attacking a spearman. It was hard squeezing past people to reach the goblins, by the time I got there, they were half dead. My sword now has a kill.

So then, two dogs dead and I got a kill. How nice.

TapeNoot

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE: AMPHIBIAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:30 am »

Freaking awesome work so far.  Ardentdikes may very well be worth the miniscule amount of sleep I'll be getting tonight.  :P
BY ARMOK'S FLAMING TESTICLES, JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol fuelled beard with the IQ of a parsnip, and that's insulting to the parsnips.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 23, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »

What happened?
If you're asking what Urist McDuck did to end up an enemy of the dwarven civilization, the answer is that he went a little crazy one time and murdered both of Ardentdikes' remaining sane dwarves, including his lover.  IIRC, he also murdered a diplomat, which is probably why he's an enemy of the whole civilization.

Urist McDuck is not a nice person.  If you release him, he'll probably kill everyone.  That said, he does seem to be a pretty good mayor.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 23, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

I'm sure we should find some way of unleashing him on the surface...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 23, 2011, 07:38:04 pm »

Urist McDuck is kind of like Captain Ironblood's evil twin.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:44 am »

Who IS captain ironblood >_>

Sorry for not knowing :3 I just see so many references and I'm probably sure I've missed the thread about him.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 24, 2011, 10:49:26 pm »

Quote from: The Hall of Legends
Nist Akath - The Captain was stranded in a winter wasteland, a deathtrap. Read on as with only his wits, six friends and meager supplies, he struggles to make his prison a bastion of hope that all dwarves respect. Hailed as one of the greatest DF stories of our time, on par with Boatmurdered, albeit on the other end of the spectrum.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 27, 2011, 05:28:45 am »

Alright after way too much TF2 and various irl things, I can finally update. Oh yeah and I doubled my FPS. Still crap (something like 20) but better.
Katana's journal #4
Some time in summer
I'm going to build a tower. Out of solid iron. I'll live in it, and it'll be self sufficient. My own little piece of the fortress... All idlers are told to help. Oh look, an alunite lever! I wonder what it does! Oh and we actually ran out of hematite. I'll just order some more dug. Well there's lots of limonite too, smelt that.
It just occurred to me how many animals are just wandering around. Butcher them. Then I heard that some walls had been SUSPENDED? Oh looks like there was a thief. It ran away now anyway. And uhm, a woodcutter was possessed. We got some dog bone cage or something. Cool. Let's add that to our list of several hundred useless "legendary" items. I'm just relaxing, training, while ordering people to build my iron mini-fort. And typical reports of randomly placed weapon traps mauling the wildlife.

Avuz, you've been chosen...

Anyway, we've got a very gneiss floor in my iron fort. Work on the fort is taking a very long time, and I was just told that by next spring I'd have to give up on being overseer. Hopefully the plans will be complete by then... Well it's Galena now so I hope everything is finished in time.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 28, 2011, 09:17:50 am »

Katana's journal #5

Some time in autumn
Well the plans are almost complete. We just need to finish the upright spear related stuff, and prepare a stable food supply. Looks like I won't get a grand fortress. And as usual, some random wildlife was mauled by a trap. Hoary marmot apparently. Then something weird was spotted.

I really have no idea. Let's kill them, there are goblins in the group after all. It was an easy fight, but actually getting outside took almost an entire day. Oh and after I got out, I also heard this on the other side of the plain.

I actually hurt my leg during the fight pretty badly, so I walked off to the hospital.

Hey, hasn't this happened before? Oh and the humans arrived. A little late, but yeah. Well at least the doctoids have done their job correctly. Meanwhile, I'm told that the upright spears are almost finished. Avuz has been doing a good job setting up the farms.
I don't trust the humans after that "goblin" ambush. At the same time, I don't feel like killing them.

Later on, a palace guard gave birth to a boy. In the middle of nowhere. I've ruled this place for almost a year and I still have no idea where we keep our food. Then I was told it was done. Avuz just had to pull a few levers and we'd be ready. But he was busy planting, so I'd have to wait a little longer. But then some stupid children came in, so we had to wait more.
The MORE STUPID DWARVES INTERFERING WITH THE PLANS. Those idiots! WHEN WILL THEY JUST GO AWAY. Ah finally, they're gone. There's an annoying little ghost, so I've ordered a slab made.

I kept tripping off the corner, so I'm going to ask avuz to tear down some of the iron walls to build a wall up here. I'm so close... At this rate I might even retire early. Then I'll have at least 60 years if nothing goes wrong. Maybe more, 120 is quite early to die. Avus will probably have breaks, and also needs to eat, sleep and drink like me. So I suppose I'll probably have minimum 50 years.

You could say the guy had a very gneiss memorial. Anyway, I feel my work here is done, so I am passing on overseer duties to the next drunken idiot Urist McDuck complains about. So then, here are the records and everything else you'll need to be confused by this hellhole. Whoever you are, good luck.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4896

OOC:
Not much has changed in the fort. Northwest of the place is my iron fortress, completely sealed off from non-flying stuff. Don't disturb it. I honestly have no idea what half of the fort does, so good luck and ask some other guy. Urist McDuck seems to be locked away, so ignore his item cancellation spam. The brook is seriously fucked up, was like that when I found it.
The memorial is placed in a random location just because I wanted to get rid of the damn ghost. Avuz ("katana's manager") is locked in with my swordsdwarf, so don't do anything with them two. And don't touch that food supply either. Feel free to check his swords level with runesmith or something every once in a while.
TL;DR: Leave me alone and enjoy the shit fps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I have no idea what the hell happened to that pikeman ambush squad.

TapeNoot

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE: AMPHIBIAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 29, 2011, 10:27:00 am »

Seeing as this is one of the more epic succession forts I've found that is actually RUNNING, I think I'll download the save and have a poke about
BY ARMOK'S FLAMING TESTICLES, JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol fuelled beard with the IQ of a parsnip, and that's insulting to the parsnips.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76