Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 215795 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - reverse-Boatmurdered - (31.16) (Succession)
« Reply #330 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:18 am »

The lever?

That lever?
I really wish to say something absolutely epic concerning the magma-controlling lever that is placed under the magma, but I can't think of anything. Just imagine that this post consisted of aforementioned epicness.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 29, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »

The lever?

That lever?

Check the levers on top of lesser Ardentdikes, I can't produce pictures at this moment, but you'll definately find them.

Also, who was thevisionary dwarf who made the magma-controlling lever out of magma-safe mechanisms??
Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 29, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »

Here is a picture of the lever:

It is on a plateau to the near the entrance to Lesser True Ardentdikes, overlooking the old fortress. It would have been wiser for me to place it inside, but that was the most dramatic spot.

The labeling made sense at the time. That other lever was probably meant to control part of the obsidian-casting works.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:28:22 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2010, 01:46:17 pm »

I see.  Thanks for the tip guys, it sure beats breaking the thing.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting through this for a few reasons, but mostly FPS.  My laptop will never forgive me for Ardentdikes.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2010, 11:53:11 am »

More!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 05, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »

Succession forts... I have learned my lesson about not pulling levers without reading notes. If sign-ups are still open, I'll join. Nevermind, I don't want to join anymore.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:46:40 pm by Aramco »
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:26 am »

C.M.D Log, Supplemental

I'm arming myself in preparation for my attempt to go outside.  Urist disapproves of my plan, but I convinced him to let me try.  I do not share the opinion of my beloved that the future's engraved in stone.

The plan is to get to the levers outside without letting the goblins inside, shut off the flow of magma, and get back in as quickly as possible.  Urist is still wounded, so I shall be the one to go outside, while he remains near the lever, ready to pull it as soon as I return, or as soon as I don't, I suppose.

Why, Urist?

Urist...

He kicked me from behind, left me for dead.  Used an axe.  Blood everywhere.  He cleaned some of it.  Then he left.  I can't walk.  Can barely write.  Lost a lot of blood.  I think, I think my legs are gone.

I asked why.  He didn't answer me.  He said only this:  "We must keep all the steel."

Trying to avoid shock.  I don't understand.  I thought he loved me.  Perhaps his visions have finally claimed his sanity?

Why, Urist?

Alil, save me.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2010, 08:07:04 am »

Did Urist throw a tantrum or is it just one of those weird things that happens in succession forts?
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2010, 04:50:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I heard the gate open.  Then the trolls howled.  It seems Urist saw the wisdom of my plan in the end and went in my stead, for what it matters now.

The stomping outside shakes the dust from the walls.  The enemy draws near.

The gate shuts once more.  Urist must be back.  The screaming hatred of the goblins arrives at our gate and is punctuated by screams of a wetter kind as our traps came to life.

At last, the heaving grind of a metal gate screwing shut is heard.  The flow of lava has been cut off.  The screams cease or grow distant.  The siege is driven off by naught but our passive defenses.

Urist is coming...

He's healed my wounds and set me to bed.  He still hasn't spoken to me.  What did he see in his mind?  What capricious hand has smote his will?  I have never suffered so.  The pain is bearable ifnot in my heart.  How could you do this to me, Urist?

He went and engraved a rendition of an engraving engraved by an engraver that shows the engraver engraving.  My head.  What is he trying to tell me?

I heard him march outside once again, with that dreadful axe.  Then came a lopping noise.

He returned covered in more blood than before, gave me a long look, and left me alone.  I cried for a long time.

I think I'm shall pass out soon.  Lost much blood.  Don't know if I'll awake.  If I do, I pray this day evaporates to the dust as any soon-forgotten nightmare.

Adil let this be but a dream.

I smell something burning.

Yes, quite a bit of something burning.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:03:22 pm by SethCreiyd »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »

oh armok seth what have you done

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2010, 09:25:03 am »

C.M.D. Log

This will be my final entry.  So hungry.  No food or drink for ages.

I haven't got long.  Perhaps it's better this way.

I checked.  My legs are gone.  They're probably still where they fell.

Whoever finds this, know:  Urist killed me.  Perhaps one day I will forgive him, if I ever find the reason for this deed.  I hope the next world has the answer.

I s~

(The journal ends abruptly.)

A lonesome kobold thief scuttled greedily down the mountainside.  With higher math beyond his faculties, Sreeramblis was nonetheless quite able to put two and two together.  Here was a dwarf fortress empty of dwarves, and that could mean only one thing.

In his sequestered mansion, TauQuebb the Manager squinted, not certain his ears were being honest.  Was that truly a dying troll down there?

There was a silence, broken by a voice.  A dwarven voice.  "Come out, TauQuebb," it said.  "For the moment, we are safe."

TauQuebb looked at his cat.  It blinked and lifted its head up.

"What would you do?" TauQuebb asked.

The cat sat down and began scratching behind its ear.

TauQuebb pulled the lever.  The mechanics engaged and unsealed the mansion.  He emerged.

"Urist?"  TauQuebb said hesitantly. "What happened?  Are the goblins defeated?"

But Urist was already walking away.  TauQuebb hurried over to him.  "Hey!  Urist!  What happened?"

"Look for yourself," Urist said as he walked up the stair, where the outside beckoned.

News can travel surprisingly fast in a society with no established centralized language.  Within a couple weeks of the great success of Sreeramblis the master thief, every kobold tribe within a hundred miles had sent their best in one crowded attempt to plunder the vast dwarven riches that awaited them in Ardentdikes.

A common language would have certainly been of use to the various tribes of kobolds here, who were presently engaged in their respective attempts to stop one other from walking away with all the treasure.  If, for instance, the creatures had been capable of a formalized trade agreement, they might have agreed to work together on transporting materials out of the place, and they certainly might have avoided the great deal of dying that was soon to occur.

The first kobold to attack his own ilk was interestingly the first one to die, as an arrow landed squarely in his forehead, proving that luck is a tangible fluid quality that smoothly flows from victim to victor.

By the next morning, most of the kobolds were dead.  The ones who survived the brawl made out well.

All except for one Thrilmis.  He had not yet found a treasure worth stealing, not for a master thief of such respect and grace as he.  He sought a truly marvelous artifact, a thing worthy of legend.  Something that would make the nose tingle and the eyeballs weep with pleasure.

He did not find the artifact, but he did find TauQuebb, who greeted him as any hospitable dwarf would greet such a visitor.

Journal of Ilral Boltgrips, Outpost Liaison

We've arrived.  The old trade station is destroyed.  The walls of Ardentdikes smolder.  There's little sign of life.

The flow of magma into the fortress has indeed stopped, but...

...well, journal, you know what they say.  It ain't a carp without gills.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:02 am »

oh armok seth what have you done

I just pulled the lever, honest!  I didn't expect it to pop at the seams.  It seems I need to learn more about fluid pressure.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2010, 11:04:20 am »

So. Awesome.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:31 pm »

Journal of Ilral Boltgrips, Outpost Liaison

We were slow to enter what might have been a fortress infested with goblins, but we were quick to find the only two survivors.

After choking a kobold to death, one of them introduced himself to us as TauQuebb the Manager, while the other walked away without a word.  TauQuebb informed me that this was the mayor, one Urist McDuck.  We'll be speaking soon, he and I.  This place has gone to the dogs.

A few flights of stairs down and we discovered a large number of trained trolls milling about the entryway to an abandoned domicile.  They did not seem overtly aggressive in the absence of their goblin handlers, but lack of threat is not an invitation, and we stayed away.  It would seem the creatures are comfortable here.

Rotten pieces of dead things lie all around.  None of the deceased have been properly memorialized.  TauQuebb now rests in the foul-smelling hospital with a bolt sticking out of his leg, fired by a trollish hunter from within the fort, and Urist hasn't shown much interest in tending to it.  The Mountainhomes will be getting a very detailed report, yes sir.

I finally caught Urist in a hallway and asked him about the trolls.  He wasn't surprised that they were there, but he admitted that the time had come to deal with them.

I am curious to see this.  Let's just hope I don't get caught in between!

Urist fought well, as he should.  There is no trollish trick to divert his minds.  He knew what they did before they did.

One by one, he slew them, let the killing move his limbs.

When he was done, none were breathing.  All who stood in his way perished by that accursed axe.

Including a headlong dwarf who should have considered sense before amusement.

And who is it that has seen all this?

I have.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2010, 10:16:34 pm »

C.M.D. Log, Time Be Ephemera

Life is wasted on the living, who have no appreciation of the pain awaiting them, but let me not digress before the point is even made.  To die was to suffer.  Never in life did I feel such hollow pangs.  There may have been a light, at first, for a time, all around, but it faded into darkness before long.  And then I was back, here, but not fully back, not fully here, but I find I can pick up a quill just as easily as I did in life.  It may be all I need.

I can also fly, which (I do not need to mention) is terrific and wonderful and all that nonsense.  But I hunger and cannot eat.  I thirst, but the drink falls through me to the floor.  I have questions, but no voice.

I would kill to get my body back and feel a wall as solid!  Unlike Urist, whose killing seems to have become an end unto itself.

Well, splendid work, Urist.  With the death of TauQuebb, you're the only living dwarf left in Ardentdikes.  May Alil have mercy on your good-forsaken soul.

You know, death is lonelier than I thought it would be.  Where are all the other ghosts?

I wonder if he knows I can see him.  I wonder if he'd care.

Far above, I saw the goblins coming for him.  I almost went to warn him.

He slaughtered them to the last.  This dwarf is not the Urist I fell in love with.  Urist always had a quiet strength, but he was not a killer.  Something sinister has taken place, and I need to find out what.

Poor, poor fools.

I found an old robe of mine deep in the fortress and took it with me.  I may be invisible, but my clothes are not.  Maybe now someone will notice me.

It's funny.  I spent my whole life trying to stay out of people's notice.  Now that I'm dead, I'm off to bid for attention.  Here goes nothing.

Spoiler: Regarding Urist McDuck (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76