Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 215841 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)
« Reply #1065 on: February 02, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »

We don't have a next player.  Would you like to take a turn?  :)
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 03, 2012, 07:05:56 am »

An album with some notable levels: http://imgur.com/a/J311y#0
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 03, 2012, 07:52:07 am »

Nice!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2012, 05:12:05 pm »

my word. That is a lot of lava. What percentage of the lava flooded rooms, chambers, halls, courtyards etc are actually supposed to be flooded?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 03, 2012, 07:49:46 pm »

I know this fort has a lot of entrances, but it is still impressive. If tomorrow no one has claimed the turn, I'll give it a try.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 04, 2012, 03:36:13 am »

Holy crap this place is huge.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:55 am »

Deathsword you should do it, it actually ran bearably fast my last session.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:24 am »

Downloading the save, I'll post a quick update once I do a quick survey of the fort.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:06 pm »

The speed wasn't bad for me.  I am glad to have been able to take part and also glad the game is still limping along.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 07, 2012, 07:00:16 pm »

my word. That is a lot of lava. What percentage of the lava flooded rooms, chambers, halls, courtyards etc are actually supposed to be flooded?

Hm.  It actually doesn't look like the lava has spread much since my last turn.  Are you sure you aren't mistaking the farms for lava?  Farms are red-colored and it's hard to tell them apart in this set of pics unless you know the fort.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:51 pm »

It seems I'll have to skip. Terribly sorry, but I can't take on the fort right now.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 10, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »

I'll take a turn if you don't mind. I'll make a quick recap of the state of the fort.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 10, 2012, 04:01:36 pm »

Journal of Udib Wastedlabor Legendsack, Armok's Priest.

24th Limestone, 1077, Early Autumn

So here we are, looking again for another fool willing to manage the great fortress of Ardentdikes. We barely started Autumn and we have gone already through two overseers. No wonder the place looks chaotic. Our veterans have seen enough horror to not care about anything anymore. Our migrants have given up on trying to accomplish any task in a reasonable time. And our nobles and medics... well, it's a good day when they don't send somebody to meet Armok earlier than expected.

Then, about me...

Yeah, that's me. What could I say? When I'm sober I feast, and when I'm tip I drink. When I arrived, I used to be a decent jeweler, but now my skills are rustier than Ardentdikes' levers. I could spend weeks fondling a blind cave bear's droopy ears. And my only notable relationship is with this dual god of fertility --and I'm not quite enthusiastic about one of his halves. I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to a great career in this fortress. But then, while I was laying drunk in the cemetery, with my back against S' Mengdalzat's coffin ―still reeking of Uzbad's deadly blood―, I heard a haunting voice coming from across the corridor.

"Udib..."

I was scared to death. Were the dead talking to me? Or was it something worse, an evil spirit that had caught me off guard? I crawled towards the wall ―which, now I remembered, led to Urist McDuck's basement― and put my ear to it.

"Udib... I can't smell the blood of our enemies. Why can't I smell the blood of our enemies?"

"I... I don't know."

"Armok's thirst must be quenched, Udib. Beasts shall be sacrificed. Prisoners must be punished. Sharpen again our weapons and bring them to battle. Lest Armok decides to fill his chalice with dwarven blood instead."

No more words came through the wall. I left to think about the daunting task I had ahead.

25th Limestone, 1077, Early Autumn

I spent the entire day surveying the fortress, trying to find where work was an urgent need.

Food and drink aren't in short supply. But, to my dismay, instead of a military I only found a ragged band of broken squads. The only decent team is The Channels of Catching, six axedwarves led by Urist Tomesglad the Bases of Failing the Palace Guard. The Complex Flags has four untrained recruits led by legendary swordsdwarf 'Katana', and there isn't much to say about the other.

Caged prisoners are scattered throughout the entire fortress. We have many goblins and trolls, an ettin on a platform over the burning dikes and a bronze colossus caged in a tower with two worryingly unidentified levers.

The famed magma flooding mechanism that once purged Ardentdikes' curse is entirely deconstructed, along with whichever contraptions were employed to power it.

There's forbidden items laying here and there, some of them tainted with forgotten beast extracts. I spotted Babylon Stakesquids sitting in a hole below one of our stockpiles, complaining about his hurting feet. There's a walled section of cavern below, with a steel bridge over lava and the corpses of Rentorian and a migrant called Domas covered in forgotten beast extract. Access is blocked by another bridge.

Down in the caverns, I found the great mausoleum open to any uninvited guests able to fly to the island. As proof, the corpse of Ushrir the Black Tomb was still laying near the stairs in the middle of a pool of its own blood.

Further down, a mechanism to flood with magma the second level of caverns laid unused and open to any horrors willing to come through the channels.

As I kept descending, a distant roar of steam caught my attention. I heard the shrieks of Dethe, the shelled blob of fire, stubbornly trying to dry the poisonous sea.

Praying Armok for it not to find its way to the booze stockpiles, I headed back to the upper levels to start working on McDuck's wishes.

26th Limestone, Early Autumn

I started giving orders to these lazy beard pullers, which they disgruntingly started to follow on threats of releasing McDuck. I could get used to this.

I ordered the work on the mausoleum's towers to be finished, sent some workers to floor over some ponds of deadly blood, and opened the cavern flooding magma chute to prevent any nasties coming up through it. Armok won't be pleased if sacrifices don't take a bit more effort.

I interrupted Katana Wordypaged the Gladness of Bravery, who was leaving the kitchens to go to sleep, to ask him about the sorry state of our army and their ill equipment. Apparently, his squad recruits refuse to wear anything but adamantine, and we only have heavy uniforms for axedwarfs. He promised me to sort it out by the next day if I let him go to sleep already.

27th Limestone, Early Autumn

The military overhaul is complete.

The Channels of Catching has been designated as the Candy Corps. Dwarves will be promoted when the required adamantine sets are available. A position of honor was reserved to my master Urist McDuck.

Heavy soldiers were sent to the The Problematic Syrups, led by Katana, and The Armored Savageries, led by Astesh Craftedfeet, who, despite having no fame to speak of, achieved legendary skills with his axe. A lighter melee milita was assigned to The Fortresses of Gravel.

Fikod Splatteredseal, the only marksdwarf in the fortress, was given the command of the Bolts of Enjoyment.

Finally, I decided to head the bottom of the barrel in an unarmored squad of Armok's priests, with proper red robes and the exotic, ceremonial weapons the military won't need. I've called it The Sacrificial Stockades. Hopefully we'll have a temple and a training arena set up by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:32:17 pm by Wastedlabor »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:51 pm »

28th Limestone, Early Autumn

The new recruits needed a training ground. Castlebanks the Apogee of Strategy, the goblin bone armor stand, was placed at the center of the courtyard. Sun induced vomit is not a good replacement for blood offerings.

Dariush's Crusher seems to have a life of its own:

I guess you could call that... a flat ass.

2nd Sandstone, Early Autumn

The mausoleum workers alerted us of a new arrival: Ushav, the badass looking three eyed scorpion. Fortunately, it has no wings. That could have been ugly, considering half the military is still picking up their equipment.

Oh shi...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:25:47 pm by Wastedlabor »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:27 pm »

Urist Tomesglad the Palace Guard, fully clad in steel, wielding a steel axe and Scornedword the legendary steel shield, slayer of Strabo Juicepuke the forgotten beast, ran ahead of everybody else to meet the beast and save Asob Ringedtest the farmer as she ran for cover.

There was no chance for the rest of the military to catch up. Whatever the outcome, it would be decided on a single battle between beast and dwarf.

Urist got a good start, but Ushav pounced her viciously again and again, trying to sting her through the armor.

And again and again...

As Urist rolled away, she got cornered between a tree and the water.

That was enough! With a yell of wrath, she unleashed a hurricane of steel and pain:

Ushav died before Urist could strike a finishing blow, so horrendous were the wounds the Palace Guard inflicted to it.

5th Sandstone, 1077, Mid-Autumn

I realized Dariush's Crusher is connected to a repeating trigger. I asked Dariush about this devilish contraption. Apparently it's meant to work that way. I hope the Queen doesn't mind being given traffic orders if she ever pays us a visit.

The only adamantine armor set lays in the hospital, covered in forgoten beast extract. While I try to figure how to get it cleaned, I notice the children Datan Cavering and Uzon Wounddrummed are in bed with infected wounds. The hospital has no soap, nor gypsum plaster. Nor clean water. I guess it keeps everybody from bothering to ask for treatment. I saw Onul Paddlepanthes complaining of muscle pains everywhere, yet working anyway on the colossus' lever. That's what you get for walking around naked in Ardentdikes.

The animal trainers found several cages lost in our stockpiles, containing a giant eagle, three elks and two groundhogs. Time to award Urist Tomesglad with an awesome war companion.

Meanwhile, a wild horse decided to trigger all the stone traps outside Lesser Ardentdikes. Stupid horse.

11th Sandstone, 1077, Mid-August

Following the instructions left by the previous overseer, I paid a visit to the jail. There was only one immate, 'Lielac' Urgetraded the armorer. Our crazy Doctoids had sewn one of her infected wounds with forgotten beast hair. I asked the poor wretch what was her crime and how long was her sentence.

"Praise Armok! I'm not forgotten!", said she, with a deranged look.

"What do you mean, forgotten?"

"Urist McDuck had me imprisoned for ignoring a mandate! My sentence expired already, but I'm still chained!"

I tried to talk to Doren Geargrips, the officer responsible of chaining her. I was told he was busy stripping the prisoners and dumping their equipment. When I asked where I could find him I was pointed outside... way beyond the fortress, near the volcano.

"I be buried in microcline, what is he doing there?"

Turns out one of our garbage dumps is all the way up the volcano tower, in the opposite side of the entrances. After consulting Dariush Gloveshower, he spotted a way to connect the tower with the underground just building a three urists long bridge from the old pump stack.

17th sandstone, 1077, Mid-Autumn

Urist McDuck wants steel items. Our manager Melkorp Lancedbalanced has been busy cooking and tasks are building up. I kicked him out of the kitchen, and he went to sleep instead.

Our metalsmiths kept finding excuses to stay away from the furnaces. I sent them back to work. We only have eight steel bars and some of our grunts aren't wearing helmets.

At the expense of one of our wax workers' room, I devised a cunning plan to recover the adamantine armor. First, one of our miners was ordered to dig a hole below it.

Then, from above, we dropped a bucket of water on it.

The armor can now be used again. Urist Tomesglad was therefore promoted back to the lead position in The Channels of Chasing, and assigned a Candy Corps uniform.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:52:30 pm by Wastedlabor »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 76