Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Motherload *Here thar be spoilers*  (Read 3638 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Motherload *Here thar be spoilers*
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »

Now that the 2010 series of dwarf fortress has come out, were are all now much more likely to have an embark area with a abundance of previously hard to find materials. However i had a interesting case today.

playing Dwarf fortress today, i began to mine down into the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
when i happend apon some gold.  Now prehaps in the older builds of dwarf fortress i would be thrilled, but now i just ho humed and began to mine it.  As i mined how ever, i hit other large pockets of gold. and as i followed the path that they were located on, i eventually found a whole river like vein of gold that spanned almost 40% of the layer.

now i have more gold than i have ever seen. what should i do with it? and has anyone else happend apon a truley awesome amount of a rare material?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:42:26 pm by Washcloth »
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Motherload *Here thar be spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »

Solid gold 20-story toilet.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:34:10 pm »

Toady really ought to require multiple ore pieces in order to make gold bars... it seems to be a bit too common on some maps.  Depending on where you start, you see veins of native gold just exposed on a hillside, often a single map tile away from a human town.  I have a hard time imagining even humans would be so lazy as to ignore this.

On the right map, gold and sliver become the material of choice for dining hall furniture.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:38:26 pm »

Native gold will soon be used as catapult ammo...

That, or you can mod rare metal ores to require more rocks for 1 bar.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »

Rebuild all your fortress walls and floors in solid gold. Hmm, make lots of rose gold... love purple here hehe. Otherwise a solid gold megaproject. Or failing all that... congradulations you can buy out every caravan that makes it safely to you for the next hundred years or so.

Anyways I've come upon several large loads of precious minerals and such, though I don't think I've seen any as large as what you found. Have fun ^^

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »

Yeah, i was thinking maybie id devote a temple to the god Orrun who has the form of a dwarf and is the god of war and fortresses
with a massive gold statue to win his favor :D
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »

Don't forget a solid gold road to your fortress, lined with gold statues, for that 2D retro feel
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 01:06:54 pm »

Very good point my man

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 01:32:38 pm »

Build a surface city out of olivine and roads out of gold blocks.

Huh... come to think of it, the game really does need some flying monkeys.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:37:36 pm »

Yeah, i was thinking maybie id devote a temple to the god Orrun who has the form of a dwarf and is the god of war and fortresses
with a massive gold statue to win his favor :D

You could have gold spikes along the base of the statue, sos you can drop live sacrifices onto them, or maybe build gold bridges to atom smash them (not as bloody, but less dramatic).

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 01:46:21 pm »

We need above-ground rhesus macaque traps... big retractable bridges that funnel whole troops of the little thieving monkeys towards something shiny they want to steal... and then the first one off hits a pressure plate and WHEEEEE flying monkeys SPLAT ex-flying monkeys.

Damn.  Now I need to do a temperate shrubland/savannah embark just to build this.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »

Perhaps with ore so much more common, he's going to institute some type of conversion ratio that's really bad in the near future.  Like 5 gold ore to one gold bar, or something of that nature.  I mean, isn't ore bearing rock usually pretty low in metal content?
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:08:40 pm »

What I have observed, nothing really throughout research though, the rations between gold versus other metal ores has not changed, everything just has become more regular. Gold was more or less the most common ore in 40d, if you had correct stone layers, along with tetrahedrite and galena. So, even though the ration has not changed, the change in regularity is more visible in those three ores.

Though I don't mind, gold makes very good material for trading crafts.  :D
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »

the [FLIER] tag still works, right?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 04:58:23 pm »

Solid gold 20-story toilet.

this, with swirling water supply and a trap over it to flush invaders away.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: [1] 2