Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why are our new dwarves such wimps?  (Read 16676 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Why are our new dwarves such wimps?
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:36:15 am »

Ok we know the new military system is still buggy.  There's still players who have managed to make legendary heroes, so that's alright, even if it does take a lot more work than before.

Dwarves don't level up their stats from things like pump operating or milling anymore, and that's a disappointment, but I guess it's all part of the new version and a change in gameplay to get used to.

However, let's look at some of the artifacts my dwarves have built for me so far.  They've made a few legendary gems, a necklace, an earring, a chest, a mace and a pike that I can think of off the top of my head.  A mace and a pike, yeah!  But ... jewelry? 

Let me tell you the most disappointing thing though.  Did any of them menace?  Did any of them have spikes?  They did not.  Did the chest - the most complicated artifact any of them have made yet - menace with spikes of dog leather and iron, with wood inlay of menacing spikes and a picture of something that also had spikes and was menacing?  No.  It did not.  Granted, the craftsmanship was exceptional, and it was a very nice chest.  But it had a picture of one of the other dwarves' epic gem inlaid into it!  Did the gem menace with spikes?  IT DID NOT!  It did not menace with spikes.  It had no spikes that were menacing.  In fact there were no spikes, nor spike-like objects on it at all.  I would go so far as to say that it was about as un-menacing an artifact that I've ever seen.

I swear if my dwarves start carving pictures of flowers into their artifacts, I'm flooding the whole map with magma and going to back to something that menaces.  With spikes.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are our new dwarves such wimps?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:57:00 am »

I've gotten a lot of menacing spikes in artifacts. You're just unlucky :<
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:51 am »

One of the best I got was a chalk throne that menaced with spikes of iron.  That's sounds pretty awesome, even if it is simple.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:34:11 am »

I don't understand what you're complaining about. It sounds like you're surprised about artifact jewelry. That isn't new. As for the spikes, artifact decorations are randomly generated. I would be pretty happy with the pike and mace, if I were you. It's a lot better than most people get.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:00:42 pm »

Sounds like par for teh course.  Unless you give a moodable skill to your farmer migrants, they will just make useless crafts. 

Also you got 2 artifact weapons so I don't know why you are complaining.  Unless they were both possesions, you now have a legendary weapon smith who can craft all kinds of masterworks for your milita or traps.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »

Oh I'm definitely not complaining about the craftsmanship, not at all.  And yes, my weaponsmith then proceeded to make me plenty of awesome weapons with which I was able to beat many a goblin about the head and neck regions, causing them much distress.  (So I suppose the goblins found them menacing, despite the lack of spikes.)

I just miss the menacing spikes.  Like a chalk throne that menaces with spikes of iron?  How awesome is that?!  I'll tell you how much awesome, a lot more awesome than an artifact earring with no spikes that is also not menacing, that's how much awesome.

Maybe I need to give them more spike-like inspiration.  Like building some spike traps.  Out of spikes.  And finding something menacing for them to look at.  Something menacing and spiky would be ideal I think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:28:46 pm »

Make the spike trap with spikes decorated with spikes! That will teach them.
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 12:29:59 pm »

Quit complaining, your dwarves made you two weapons, you can consider yourself lucky. I only got two in all my fortress games combined since I started playing this game in '08.
I mean, I would must rather have a mace that menaces with flowers, purple hearts or peace signs for all I care, instead of just getting all these useless spike-covered earrings all the time.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 01:46:01 pm »

My militia commander lost an arm and didn't even go to the doctor. She went back to her station after the fight. She now holds her axe and shield in the same hand. I dunno what happened there, perhaps she tightened her chest muscles to stop the bleeding, but she's no wimp!
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

Dwarves don't level up their stats from things like pump operating or milling anymore, and that's a disappointment, but I guess it's all part of the new version and a change in gameplay to get used to.

For the record, they're supposed to. The idea is that dwarves gain stats related to whatever it is that they're doing; right now, it's just sort of broken.

However, let's look at some of the artifacts my dwarves have built for me so far.  They've made a few legendary gems, a necklace, an earring, a chest, a mace and a pike that I can think of off the top of my head.  A mace and a pike, yeah!  But ... jewelry?

This has always been the case. Nothing new here.

Let me tell you the most disappointing thing though.  Did any of them menace?  Did any of them have spikes?  They did not.  Did the chest - the most complicated artifact any of them have made yet - menace with spikes of dog leather and iron, with wood inlay of menacing spikes and a picture of something that also had spikes and was menacing?  No.  It did not.  Granted, the craftsmanship was exceptional, and it was a very nice chest.  But it had a picture of one of the other dwarves' epic gem inlaid into it!  Did the gem menace with spikes?  IT DID NOT!  It did not menace with spikes.  It had no spikes that were menacing.  In fact there were no spikes, nor spike-like objects on it at all.  I would go so far as to say that it was about as un-menacing an artifact that I've ever seen.

I swear if my dwarves start carving pictures of flowers into their artifacts, I'm flooding the whole map with magma and going to back to something that menaces.  With spikes.

No spikes at all? Odd; they're supposed to do that as much as they used to.

Artifact weapons won't be as useful as they used to, since damage modifiers aren't really around anymore. There's no real difference between an artifact weapon and a masterpiece weapon except for a bit of a chance-to-hit bonus.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 02:27:21 pm »

Well the answer is simple isn't it? Kill off every dwarf that failed to add spikes to their craft!

The only reason why they are wimps is because you're not implementing Darwin (Dwarfin?)'s law of natural selection, in that those who don't provide spikey things die a gruesome death while those who do live on and prosper.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »

Your dwarves would be wise to menace with spikes more often. Weapons that menace with spikes? Yes please.

Thrones that menace with spikes? A seat of kings!

Tables that menace with spikes? Excellent for eating on AND executions!

Clothing that menaces with spikes? Comfortable yet stylish.

But no spikes at all? Such a travesty.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »

Hurts so much, but looks so cool!-Dwarfy the Dwarf
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »

My artifacts have spikes that menace with spikes. Are a maces damage effected by weight? If so, the original poster probably got the mace made out of a light material, rather disappointing if maces are effected by weight.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »

Make the spike trap with spikes decorated with spikes! That will teach them.

YES!  Then I can impale my non-menacing-spike-producing Dwarves on said spikes and that will REALLY teach them! 

MORE MENACING SPIKES FOR THE SPIKE GOD!  (The Spike God is very menacing, btw.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3