Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving (new) dwarf stats  (Read 4086 times)

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improving (new) dwarf stats
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:59:07 am »

In previous versions of dwarf fortress, dwarves that were busy with some labor were improving their strength, agility and toughness and became more efficient at their work. Now I see that better part if not all of my dwarves are flimsy, clumsy, quick to tire, weak and whatnot. And the situation does not seem to be improving.

So my question is: is it possible to improve dwarf physical stats in .08 version ?

Thank you.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Improving (new) dwarf stats
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:40:08 am »

Military dwarves do improve stats, albeit very slowly.

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:46:42 am »

Military dwarves do improve stats, albeit very slowly.

This is quite sad since I do not use any military (have figured out more efficient ways of taking life than swinging metal sticks).

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:03 am »

I've heard that giving your dwarves the job of pump operator improves their toughness very quickly.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:02:01 am »

I've heard that giving your dwarves the job of pump operator improves their toughness very quickly.

Not true in the new version, unfortunately. 

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 07:22:17 am »

So is there anything that can be done to prevent ending up with a horde of cripples after 10 or so years in a fotress? (apart from assigning everyone to military)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:10:27 pm »

Well, i think it's rather realistic, cause the dwarf can't really get stronger doing some paper work or preparing food. But ofc, i think, that adding stats while hauling would be nice.
I think that mining makes dwarf stronger. At least my miners (well at least 2-3) have nice muscles from mining job.
I'd like Toady to implement some gym feature for dwarves. I prefer to see my dwarf fit and strong instead of corpulent and very weak too.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

Well, i think it's rather realistic, cause the dwarf can't really get stronger doing some paper work or preparing food. But ofc, i think, that adding stats while hauling would be nice.
I think that mining makes dwarf stronger. At least my miners (well at least 2-3) have nice muscles from mining job.
I'd like Toady to implement some gym feature for dwarves. I prefer to see my dwarf fit and strong instead of corpulent and very weak too.
Hauling ought to increase strength, and probably constitution. Let's see someone who isn't stronger after hauling 300lb rocks for a season.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:37:05 pm »

Ye my military guys have all great stats, but all in my fort are flimsy. It seam wrestling get them all the other stats very well, legendary wrestler are really good stat wise, they are super agile, strong, can't be tired... Some of them run 3time faster than the other dwarfs, at least i can tell where are my soldier at first glance  ???
But if anyone managed to get the "flimsy" stat up, tell me how.
I play the 2010 version.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:23:34 am »

Military training is the only way, it increases strength, endurance, and agility (important - makes them move and work faster). it won't train anything else, though.

Unfortunately military dwarves tend to get stuck training forever and won't go back to doing regular work, so it's useless for boosting up stats (this is possibly fixed for .10, I don't think so but I'm not sure).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:19:38 am »

So is there anything that can be done to prevent ending up with a horde of cripples after 10 or so years in a fotress? (apart from assigning everyone to military)

Disabling the attribute/skill rusting (there are some threads already on this) will at least prevent them from becoming cripples.  It will not help them increase their stats, though.

Suddo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:20 pm »

I think pump operating should be a way to increase stats its a gym (maybe not as fast) so maybe having every other season or so you could tell your dwarfs to go to the "gym" and work out and quit being a fat oaf (spelling).

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 05:57:53 pm »

To people who want to remove the stat rust put this in creature_standard under the ment_att_range and phys_att_range
Code: [Select]

[PHYS_ATT_RATES:STRENGTH:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:AGILITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [PHYS_ATT_RATES:TOUGHNESS:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:ENDURANCE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [PHYS_ATT_RATES:RECUPERATION:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]

[MENT_ATT_RATES:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:CREATIVITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:EMPATHY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:FOCUS:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:INTUITION:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:MUSICALITY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:PATIENCE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:MEMORY:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:SPATIAL_SENSE:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
    [MENT_ATT_RATES:WILLPOWER:50:NONE:NONE:NONE]
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.