Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Australia has a new government.  (Read 6944 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Australia has a new government.
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 08:27:49 pm »

I was mistakenly informed last night that the Liberals had won. I am relieved to find out that this is not the case.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »

Yeah, they have like two more seats, but the predicted remaining seats is pretty well neck and neck.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 09:58:21 am »

Tony Abbot is an enormous twat who does nothing but whinge. Julia's not much better, but she is better.

Really, what I'd like is a PM who cares deeply about the country and its people.

Wow that was naive of me. I must be tired.

Tony Abbot needs to have a meeting with the Liberal Crime Squad *evil laugh*

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »

Australia began black-listing sites a few years back. That sounds pretty Right to me.
The right in the US is associated with deregulation, with the left doing such things as "regulation", however, the "Right" for the US also contains the Fundamentalist Christians, which means it is the "Right" or "De-regulation" side that is the advocate of video game bans. This may or may not carry over into Australia, so...
I have to tell you, I've never heard a single person in any of the numerous Protestant churches I attend breathe a word about video games. I'll also remind you there are no 'Fundamentalist Christians' as an organized political or religious body, and Catholics are a Democrat voting block.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:57 pm »

Heh, that post was a few months back.

Ahh well, still to address Kogon's points; the right (ironically known as the liberals) represents business and conservative morals, so their stance only tends to deregulation on areas fiscally related (freeing up trade, etc.) though they are sort of divided on some areas even there; in Western Aus., we have limits on sunday trading, and latenight trading.
Generally, very very few stores are open past 6pm, or open at all on a Sunday (:(). Liberals on the one hand want to appease their business backers by deregulating hours, but because their main voter base are the religious right (think Helen Lovejoy from the Simpsons; "Won't somebody think of the children!") and late night/sunday trading is seen as detrimental to families (BS of the highest degree), they can be somewhat schizo about the whole thing. Then of course the two religious parties we have over here, the Family First and Christian Democrats parties, who are just plain batshit insane (They want to raise the legal drinking age to 21! It doesn't effect me anymore, sure, but it's the principle of the thing).

By contrast, our "left", the Labor Party (at least in W.A., there's a lot of regional variation in the parties) is opposed to it. That said, Labour (at the federal government level) did try and introduce mandatory internet censorship, so they have their own unfortunate case of moral-guardian-itis too.

Basically, neither side really tends one way or the other on 'deregulation' in general, it depends too much on the details of the individual item. Also, finally, everything I've said only holds true for the most isolated chunk of Aus, the rest of the country is a bit more civilised.

(And goddamn I have a lot of parenthetical asides).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:33 am »

I know this is a bump, but:
It occurs to me that the hung parliament here is due to the voice of Australia making itself heard saying something like "I'm sick of this shit".
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 03:29:45 am »

Politics in this country is equal parts hilarious and facepalm worthy. I have to admit, I want to get more involved.

The reason why politics are so warped is because frankly what DOES make a leader of a country?

Do we have a critique, some guidelines, or anything?

I am starting to think we don't vote for people. We vote for an image, party, or platform.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 08:29:57 am »

Like I said, I really wish we had a chance for a government that cares more about what the majority want than what they want. Obviously that's a naive hope. But still, our current two choices are both dickheads. I mean really. The Sex Party would have my vote if I could, they just need to be a bit more serious about advertising.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:24 am »

Dare I ask what their platform is?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 08:57:25 am »

Honestly I think at least 90% of Australian political parties are bat-shit insane, just arseholes and/or dictator wannabe's.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2010, 09:02:12 am »

Honestly I think at least 90% of Australian political parties are bat-shit insane, just arseholes and/or dictator wannabe's.

Fixed.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 07:23:13 am »

Dare I ask what their platform is?

The removal of mandatory government censorship, sex equality, stopping the mollycoddling that's going on in our government under the pretense of protecting either 'the children!' or 'Australians everywhere' as the situation warrants and other things I agree with them wholeheartedly on. Look them up, they're less insane than you might think.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 07:24:45 am »

Did I mention the internet filter is going to block their website

RAEEEEEEEEEEG!!!!!!!!!!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 07:25:55 am »

Ahh. With a name like "the Sex Party", I assumed their platform was somewhat more tongue-in-cheek. Or tongue-in-other-orifices.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2010, 07:28:23 am »

Did I mention the internet filter is going to block their website

Whilst I don't have too much faith in our government, I don't really believe they'd be stupid enough to go through with it. I mean, 70% speed reduction? WE LIVE IN AUSTRALIA.

HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED MEN OF WAR OR TF2 WITH 300 PING? IT'S NOT FUN.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8