Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Funniest/Strangest Engravings ever  (Read 2426 times)

Twisted Mansions

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress: Where Failing is rewarding
    • View Profile
Funniest/Strangest Engravings ever
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:19:23 am »

What are some of your funniest or strangest engravings you've ever encountered? I just got an engraving called the Dung of Scum which involved a cringing goblin being smooshed by my drawbridge. Another One involved my fortress of TreeWinters having engravings of people being devoured in my dining room. I bet that makes for interesting dinner conversation...
Dwarf Fortress: Where Epic Fail becomes Epic stories.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funniest/Strangest Engravings ever
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:36:51 am »

Dunno about engravings, most of mine are of mundane crap like squares, and symbols of civilizations. I find the Lavish prepared meals to be the funniest (in a Monty Python kind of way): most of mine are something like "Minced Plump Helmet, minced Plump Helmet, Pickle-berries and minced Plump Helmet." Actually that's a lie, most of them are "Minced Plump Helmet, minced Plump Helmet, minced Plump Helmet and minced Plump Helmet".

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:50:06 am »

The most amusing engravings for me are when you get an engraver who really hates your mayor or baron or someone, and proceeds to engrave images of that dwarf surrounded by things they hate.  "This is an engraving of Urist McMayor and giant roaches.  Urist McMayor is surrounded by giant roaches.  Urist McMayor looks terrified."  engraved twenty times in Urist McMayor's bedroom.

I also have dozens of images of elves devouring dwarves in my dining room.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Anjilo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:27 am »

in one fortress. 1 out of 5 masterwork engravings were. "An image of an Elf and a goblin, the Elf is devouring the goblin"

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:37 am »

Damn, Do I need to find my most mentally unstable and neurotic dwarf with the saddest family life in my fortress to train him to legendary engraver to finally get something else than pictures of dwarves travelling, geometric shapes and reditions of renditions of a picture of a giant rat?
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:28:11 pm »

The renditions (of a giant rat) are probably your civilization/fortress symbol, like the picture that'd go on their flag if flags were invented yet. They're pretty common.

The geometric shapes are what you get if you don't have a highly skilled engraver, so yeah, you'll want to get SOME dwarf to legendary if you want more interesting pictures.

Finally, if the historical engravings are mostly the dwarves travelling, it's possible that your world just had a really boring history.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 01:34:17 pm »

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of 'Regic' Ropeshocks the dwarf and trousers by 'Urist McEngraver' Suvasnil. 'Regic' Ropeshocks is surrounded by the trousers."

I have no idea what spurred this. You might think that he grew attached to his pants, but no, he never did. Urist McEngraver simply ran out of stuff to carve (and he's still got an entire dining hall left to finish, fwiw) so he decided to make an image of a random dwarf. Then emphasise the dwarf wearing trousers.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »

Engraved on the wall is a masterfully engraved rendition of 'The Summer of Kings' by Urist McEngraver.

The Summer of Kings was of Urist McEngraver engraving. So it's an engraving of an engraving of Urist McEngraver engraving.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »

I have one engraving in Balded Bears where the Dwarf is surrounded by vests, lots and lots of vests.

I'll have to find it.

But there, mostly I get either boring engravings that aren't worth reading. Or awesome engravings about Dwarve's kicking Goblins around in the various ambush's that they have tried.

The ones I want engravings from is MorningDaggers, aka, the Dwarf-grinder. Despite such a massively HIGH death toll, I'm not getting that many disturbing engravings. I think the best one so far was about a dog withering.

I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 08:23:15 pm »

Personally I'm not keen on my own engravers style.
Surrounding the dining room is his own renditions of the various defeats and losses this particular fort has suffered (reclaimed 5 times).
Personally I don't feel that showing the previous mayor being eviscerated by a mountain goat really sells my fort.
Urist McMayor: "Welcome Urist McMigrant! I am sure you will be very safe and happy here in Pulleynumbers, please, follow me to the communal dining hall where most of the residents gather..."
Urist McMigrant: "OH GOD MY EYES"

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:44:37 pm »

koala demon >8D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

john_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 11:35:24 pm »

I think my favorite engraving was one I got in my reclaimed fortress. I like to do a throwaway fort with nothing but miners (to carve out a fort faster), abandon it and start with a normal embark. I only recently started playing DF, so I finally decided that Untamed Wilderness was too easy; I wanted Haunted.

Then two skeletal hoary marmots WRECKED MY SHIT. Two miners drowned when they dodged into two separate ponds. Finally I killed the little buggers, but not before a third miner lost his left eye.

So I eventually get this fort carved, then abandon and restart. There are endless engravings about those two marmots and the drownings they caused, though since they didn't kill anyone directly they didn't get names. I only know the marmots are the subject because no-one else drowned in Razorstrikes. Seriously;

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of Urist McDrownedMiner the dwarf by Urist McEngraver. McDrownedMiner is drowning/fleeing a Skeletal Hoary Marmot."

Everywhere, ad nauseum.

DarthRavanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:55:04 pm »

I once had an engraver depict my expedition leader as being surrounded by beds.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:56:38 pm by DarthRavanger »

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 03:27:15 am »

I once had an engraver depict my expedition leader as being surrounded by beds.

I wonder what he did all day.

My fort kept having engravings of the same human killing different gobbos.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Trowzers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 03:53:10 am »

I once had a fortress by the sea where every second engraving seemed to feature a particular ocean titan destroying a different elf, dwarf, human or goblin.  Are there even such thing as ocean titans?  It was constantly at the back of my mind that this thing might turn up and start tearing the place apart.
Pages: [1] 2