Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: "Using up stone" How does that REALLY work for fps?  (Read 9368 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Using up stone" How does that REALLY work for fps?
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »

It has been said somewhere that the liquid 'molten rock' will disappear from the game, but will still be counted for, so melting stone will not change your fps.

For the massive items test, you could make the elves pack 20 times their usual caravan, drown them in the depot, and see if the massive dip in fps stays due to the items.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 12:58:21 am »

Another factor I thought of was perhaps the rampant amount of trees growing might have an impact? Or is there a set limit of how many trees will spawn? [I don't cut them down at all typically]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2010, 01:46:31 am »

It has been said somewhere that the liquid 'molten rock' will disappear from the game, but will still be counted for, so melting stone will not change your fps.

Sort of - there's a bug where objects getting pushed around (presumably as they change state as it seems to only happen with magma) disappear from the DF universe but remain tracked forever. If you want stuff to melt it's best to drop it into a steady body of magma. Of course, FPS barely changes with amounts less than 50k-100k objects getting deleted so it's really not worth the effort to do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »

As far as I can see, stone removal is an aesthetic choice, not a real FPS improvement.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2010, 03:41:42 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:51:50 am by Bartleby »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2010, 08:23:13 pm »

In the latest version, could stuff be happening in the caverns that eventually cause the fort to grind to a halt?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2010, 10:30:07 pm »

In the latest version, could stuff be happening in the caverns that eventually cause the fort to grind to a halt?

Quite likely. Most people report that sealing the caverns from the rest of the fort reverses a lot of the initial FPS drop you get from opening them. Dunno any particulars though.

Zavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2010, 12:57:14 am »

Quite likely. Most people report that sealing the caverns from the rest of the fort reverses a lot of the initial FPS drop you get from opening them. Dunno any particulars though.

Just like ambushes, maybe there are few GCS lurking around eating your fps away...

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2010, 07:16:00 am »

Just like ambushes, maybe there are few GCS lurking around eating your fps away...

This is possibly part of my problem, as there is at least one GCS in the second cavern (and an endless herd of crundles).  Unsealing causes an immediate drop in FPS, sealing it back up reclaims most of it.  But that's not the what's causing the progressive drain over time as the critters are always there.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2010, 03:49:04 am »

I just leave the FPS counter off. If I do not see it I do not get warning about ambushes or kobolds, so they are more of a surprise. Things get done when they get done.

I agree the stone bit is not correct, I've had over 100,000 stone in stock on some forts and did not notice speed issues. I wonder if atom smashing isn't just hiding the objects if the FPS got worse.

I agree with leaving it off, if I don't see the counter, I don't actually worry about the FPS, it only bothers me when I can see it
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Luewen82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2010, 10:38:24 am »

Hmmm. So what i dig up in here tells that if i use stone to do something like decorate floors with stones it wont eat up fps? As i normally like to decorate stone tiles before i put workshops etc over them for better looks. Though every single floor tile i have made shows in building list.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2010, 12:28:28 pm »

OP, if you have not yet designated high-traffic areas to improve pathfinding, now might be a good time to consider it. 

In particular, if you have a large chamber (10x10 or larger) with two or more exits, a dwarf entering at one end may need to check 100-ish possible paths to find the way out.  If you draw a high-traffic hallway through the center of that chamber, you can envision that path as a set of rails or channels in the floor of your fort: the dwarves won't leave the rails, or even consider pathing off the rails, until they're right up next to their destination.  If you have a dormitory area with many small rooms and a twisting main hallway, definitely paint the hallway green and the doorways to each room red; that will keep the dwarves from trying to path into any room except the one that is their destination.  Making dorms "dead ends", so that only one doorway leads into a dorm area, is another way to reduce pathing lag.

Every large chamber or dorm area you designate in this way will reduce the cost of every trip through that area, so focus on the largest chambers and the ones that see the most foot traffic.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:20 pm »

The raw distance to an item is calculated in a relatively simple way; as the eagle flies mole burrows direct distance, ignoring paths. This value is what is calculated and used whenever a dwarf wants a certain item or material. Therefore, the selection method is;
1) Populate list of potential items.
2) Calculate distance to each.
3) Select the 'closest'.
4) Calculate path to this item.
I understand this is a pretty old post, but could the game just do it the other way around?
Scan outwards in an A* floodfill until you get to one qualifying item.  Then just grab it.  You get your path to the item as well as a bonus. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:59:19 pm by jseah »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »

I would like to point out that for the purposes of destroying objects, "magma flow" /semi-molten rock destroys absolutely everything that touches it. I never use atomsmashers anymore.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

I understand this is a pretty old post, but could the game just do it the other way around?
Scan outwards in an A* floodfill until you get to one qualifying item.  Then just grab it.  You get your path to the item as well as a bonus.
You don't get the benefits of A* without some sort of heuristic telling you how close you are to your goal (if your goal is "any stone" then then you need some way of determining "how close is this tile to the nearest stone" without searching the world, which means storing and maintaining a "distance to nearest stone" or "location of nearest stone" for every tile (or determining and caching it on the fly), and then likewise for every other item type).

Without the heuristic, it's a breadth-first search, which does guarantee you the closest item and a path to it, but degenerates very quickly when the item is far away.

You might be able to start with the breadth-first search and give up if you don't find anything within 5 or 10 steps, reverting to the old method. That actually sort of makes sense in that a creature should be able to figure out the truly closest item within a short distance of themselves, but will maybe make the wrong decision for stuff further away.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7