Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaim Fortress fail  (Read 974 times)

HYPERPOWER!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reclaim Fortress fail
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »

Hi!

Thought I'd share my experience with Reclaim Fortress mode.
My previous fortress got swarmed by gobbos. I thought it pretty, so decided to reclaim. Some (all?) of the gobbos that participated in the initial genocide show up in the fortress when you reclaim it. They're friendly (Wiki notes all of this).

Wiki does not note that the next time you get an Invasion of Vile Forces of Darkness, the friendly gobbos turn bad. I assume the invasion flags the lot hostile together with the actual invaders. Anyway, by that time, the squatters would likely have grown attached to their implements of murder.

While the invaders beat their chests in futility outside my impressive surface gates, a single (that's ONE) gobbo attached to her pike massacred the fortress from within -- all of its 107 dorfs-turned-militia, including 20 iron-clad axedorfs. The green-skinned harlot wouldn't even bleed.

Frustration!

Also, a whole bunch of items leftover from the abandoned fortress in reclaim mode are stuck in place. Every time a dorf tried to pick one up, I get an "object misplaced" message. The items are not forbidden and I've tried dumping them too.

-Michael

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim Fortress fail
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:42:57 pm »

Are you sure that the 20 guys were actually -wearing- the armor you assigned them?  Also, did you give them weapons, and if so, did they have them?  Stupid things like that happen all of the time, and armored foes with weapons possess a ridiculous advantage over unarmed, unarmored dorfs in the current version.  Also, iron is the second worst "weapons-grade" metal in DF 2010.  You need bronze or steel (or funmetal, but that goes without saying) to get the edge over the green-skinned menace.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

HYPERPOWER!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:48 pm »

Yep, absolutely. I checked the axedorfs' equipment in disbelief again and again while they were being ripped apart. Iron mail, shields of various quality, iron axes. All highly trained.

I think its the goblin growing attached to her weapon that made her indestructible to my dorfs.

/sigh

Back to a backup.

[EDIT] Reverted to a backup and walled the gobbo in. All the friendly gobbos have survived thus far without eating anything. I wonder whether she'll become susceptible to hunger/thirst after turning hostile.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:48:46 am by HYPERPOWER! »

Pistolero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:01:24 am »

armored foes with weapons possess a logical advantage over unarmed, unarmored dorfs in the current version.

However it IS a pain with the way they behave sometimes. Woodcutters throwing down their axes to attack with their teeth when you activate their squad and such.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:35:34 am »

All the friendly gobbos have survived thus far without eating anything. I wonder whether she'll become susceptible to hunger/thirst after turning hostile.

I believe Gobbo's are immortal and thus do not require food or drink. This is why you can keep them forever in cages whereas Tigermen you get from the elves will starve to death or die of thirst.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »

armored foes with weapons possess a logical advantage over unarmed, unarmored dorfs in the current version.

However it IS a pain with the way they behave sometimes. Woodcutters throwing down their axes to attack with their teeth when you activate their squad and such.

I didn't mean "ridiculous" as in "not believable," but "ridiculous" as in "hilarious."  I laughed when my Elite Wrestlers were torn to shreds by a goblin ambush the first time.  The second, third, fourth, etc. times I laughed as my armor-clad axedorfs turned goblins into chunky salsa.

I remember this one time a Sasquatch wandered into my food stockpile and I activated my woodcutter to kill it, and then seconds later realized that I should have assigned him his axe first.  He proceeded to start a wrestling match with the Sasquatch that involved both of them inflicting minor wounds that pretty much insta-healed before more serious damage could be done.  He never picked up his axe, though, since he would only take it from a stockpile and the dorf that was supposed to take it to the weapon stockpile kept being interrupted by the Sasquatch.  It finally ended when I let my war dogs out of their cages and they tore it to shreds.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?