Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to build a completely impenetrable fortress.  (Read 4242 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to build a completely impenetrable fortress.
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

Step 1: BUILD a downward or up/down staircase on the surface.
Step 2: DIG an upward or up/down staircase.
Step 3: Dig out a fort and move all your stuff inside.
Step 4: Remove the downward staircase.

Since constructions seem to temporarily replace the tile their built on, and dwarves remove staircases from below, this will result in a natural floor where the down stair used to be, resulting in your fort being completely cut off from the surface.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a completely impenetrable fortress.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »

Only problem is no trading meaning no migrants.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:33:44 pm »

How to build a completely impenetrable fortress.
That's not very dwarfy.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:50:54 pm »

He said impenetrable, not Dwarfy.  Here's how to make a completely Dwarfy fortress:

1. Dig down until you find magma.  If you don't find magma, you didn't dig far enough down; and you call yourself a Dwarf?
2. Build an overly elaborate system of collapsible ceilings to exploit hydraulics and force sixty metric tonnes of magma to the surface.  Who needs pumps?
3. Set up an elaborate series of traps involving said magma, complete with recapture system.  No Dwarf worth his beard wastes molten rocks!
4. Conveniently "forget" to build a front door before your trap halls.  Goblins fall for it every time.
5. Make damn sure the traps can potentially backfire and flood your base with magma.  Dwarves love a good fire-and-brimstone bath.
6. Have the whole thing go to hell during a siege some time around year 5 because you forgot about that back tunnel into the fortress you built in year 2 to get rid of all the rotting Goblin carcasses.  Oops?
7. Reclaim, of course!  Dwarves never surrender!
8. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 as many times as it takes to fill an overly elaborate catacomb system (buried in magma, because that's the Dwarf way) with Dwarf corpses.  Strike the earth, then become one with the earth!
Sanity is for the weak.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »

He said impenetrable, not Dwarfy.  Here's how to make a completely Dwarfy fortress:

1. Dig down until you find magma.  If you don't find magma, you didn't dig far enough down; and you call yourself a Dwarf?
2. Build an overly elaborate system of collapsible ceilings to exploit hydraulics and force sixty metric tonnes of magma to the surface.  Who needs pumps?
3. Set up an elaborate series of traps involving said magma, complete with recapture system.  No Dwarf worth his beard wastes molten rocks!
4. Conveniently "forget" to build a front door before your trap halls.  Goblins fall for it every time.
5. Make damn sure the traps can potentially backfire and flood your base with magma.  Dwarves love a good fire-and-brimstone bath.
6. Have the whole thing go to hell during a siege some time around year 5 because you forgot about that back tunnel into the fortress you built in year 2 to get rid of all the rotting Goblin carcasses.  Oops?
8. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 as many times as it takes to fill an overly elaborate catacomb system (buried in magma, because that's the Dwarf way) with Dwarf corpses.  Strike the earth, then become one with the earth!
You forgot to sacrifice elves to Armok every year, as thanks for the blessing of mamga.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:04:15 pm »

You forgot to sacrifice elves to Armok every year, as thanks for the blessing of mamga.

I didn't forget it.  Said sacrifices are implied by the massive magma traps and their inevitable horrific (yet hilarious) malfunctioning and slaying of countless innocent Dwarves.
Sanity is for the weak.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:27 am »

Why stop at elves?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 12:37:43 am »

or do this:

1.      OOOOOOO
        OOOOOOO
        OOOOOOO

2.     OOOOOOO
                   O
        OOOOOOO

3.    OOOOOOO
      O          O
      OOOOOOO

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 02:10:22 am »

But that requires you to dig through and rebuild a wall, whereas my method leaves the surface completely untouched.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:37:30 am »

if you want to give visitors a real puzzle, embark in temperate or cold biome and dig a ramp down through a frozen body of water (murky pool or river) into the riverbed. Move stuff inside, dig fort as normal and place a wall where your lower ramp was.

When the river melts (hence you need temperate/cold) the ice ramp will vanish - the only sign of your fort then is a single "floor" tile in the riverbed, hidden by water in summer and ice in winter. Now there is absolutely NO visible sign of your fort. Magical disappearing dwarves!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 03:32:48 pm »

if you want to give visitors a real puzzle, embark in temperate or cold biome and dig a ramp down through a frozen body of water (murky pool or river) into the riverbed. Move stuff inside, dig fort as normal and place a wall where your lower ramp was.

When the river melts (hence you need temperate/cold) the ice ramp will vanish - the only sign of your fort then is a single "floor" tile in the riverbed, hidden by water in summer and ice in winter. Now there is absolutely NO visible sign of your fort. Magical disappearing dwarves!

This is just as accomplishable in warmer climates- just dig into the bottom of a cliff and then collapse a few z levels of rock where your entrance used to be.

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »

I was considering doing something similar.  I would build a staircase down to HFS and get it ready to be opened.  Then I would build my whole base separately.  I would make my entrance impenetrable and leave one lone dwarf outside to free the HFS.  That way I unleash the HFS on the world and have my own fallout shelter away from the onslaught.  I doubt it will go as well as I picture it.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »

Since constructions seem to temporarily replace the tile their built on, and dwarves remove staircases from below, this will result in a natural floor where the down stair used to be, resulting in your fort being completely cut off from the surface.

Interesting. I wonder how to abuse this glitch for some applied hilarity. This stairway can only be constructed and deconstructed from the surface, right?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 04:18:34 pm »

Interesting. I wonder how to abuse this glitch for some applied hilarity. This stairway can only be constructed and deconstructed from the surface, right?

Nope. If there's an up-stair (or up/down stair, and I think ramps too) below a floor/wall/stair tile, you can deconstruct it from below. Dwarves will always deconstruct this way if given the option.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

I'm not sure I understand.  How is this any different than walling your fortress off?  Here's a better idea.  Dig down.  Remove stairs.  Build walls in place of stairs.
Pages: [1] 2