Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Excess animals.  (Read 1983 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Excess animals.
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »

How can I get rid of them? I don't want the parts that come from them, just want to cull a bunch to get my game to run faster and clear the corridors. Tried butchering them after turning off "Dwarves keep body parts" and the other ones. Still ending up with loads of tallow cluttering up my store rooms.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Excess animals.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »

You want atom-smashing if you cannot keep up with the meat industry.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:38:46 pm »

First step: Cage them. They'll eventually stop breeding (females pregnant when caged will still have their children, but no new sporing will occur) and they'll hurt your FPS less. I hate it when breeding gets past the capacity of my butchers to keep up; this will help.

Second step: Destroy the cage, if you feel so inclined. Deconstruct it and dump it to a place where you can drop a drawbridge on it. This will utterly destroy all the animals in the cage, with no bone/cartilage/meat/fat/skin remains.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:03 pm »

First step: Cage them. They'll eventually stop breeding (females pregnant when caged will still have their children, but no new sporing will occur)
Nope. My (tamed, if it's revelant) elephants still breed in cages, leaving my butcher with a carpload of work every spring.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »

They dont breed. They were just pregnant when you put them in. What I do. Is dig a giant pit 20z levels. Make it a pit, drop all excess animals in there, then you have two options. Forbid the gore, it will rot and shouldnt reach your dwarfs at all. Or collect it, you can either drop one and collect, or you can drop them all and collect as much as possible before it rots. You dont get a massive meat increase in your stockpile, but you get some food, which usually doesnt hurt. Thats what I do anyways. Who would have new the cure for kittens was a 20 story drop.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:28:50 pm »

Just build about 10 butcher and 10 tanner workshops. Designate ALL animals to be slaughtered. Pets of course will be immune to this, you'll need to arrange an unfortunate accident for pets, but it should significantly thin out your population.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 10:02:47 pm »

1 - Put all animals into one cage.
2 - Wait for the next caravan.
3 - GIVE. THEM. AWAY.

This is honest to god the simplest way to get rid of just about EVERYTHING, I don't know why nobody ever thinks of it, or suggests it.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »

3 - GIVE. THEM. AWAY.

This is honest to god the simplest way to get rid of just about EVERYTHING, I don't know why nobody ever thinks of it, or suggests it.

Because it's about as un-Dwarvenly as you can get.  I mean really, pawning off animals to species that will actually clean up after and feed them instead of mercilessly slaughtering the excess with increasingly impractical-yet-awesome methods?  That sounds like what an Elf would do.
Sanity is for the weak.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:10:10 pm »

Because it's about as un-Dwarvenly as you can get.  I mean really, pawning off animals to species that will actually clean up after and feed them instead of mercilessly slaughtering the excess with increasingly impractical-yet-awesome methods?  That sounds like what an Elf would do.
No sir. Elves pawn off animals to species that train them for war and mercilessly slaughter the excess with increasingly impractical yet awesome methods.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:18:24 pm »

3 - GIVE. THEM. AWAY.

Pawning off impractically large quantities of crap you don't want or need to the humans after selling a few baubles for a rediculous profit in order to convince them that they got a good deal is un-dwarflike? Really? Are you saying you actually give the humans a fair deal? I am somewhat disappointed.
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »

Bore a hole down to the magma sea, pit them into this hole.  Or better yet drop them from the top of the map to the bottom so they explode and produce extra bones and meat (if that still works). 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:17:02 pm »

3 - GIVE. THEM. AWAY.

Pawning off impractically large quantities of crap you don't want or need to the humans after selling a few baubles for a rediculous profit in order to convince them that they got a good deal is un-dwarflike? Really? Are you saying you actually give the humans a fair deal? I am somewhat disappointed.

What is this "trading with humans" you speak of?  Do you mean my annual cleansing of humans who keep piling crap onto my glorious Dwarven bartering grounds, wherein honest Dwarves from remote corners of the world bring their goods for just a handful of my masterwork large serrated steel blades?  That's not so much "trading with humans" as it is "drowning humans and encasing their still-warm corpses in obsidian".
Sanity is for the weak.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 04:59:46 am »

3 - GIVE. THEM. AWAY.

What is this "trading with humans" you speak of?  Do you mean my annual cleansing of humans who keep piling crap onto my glorious Dwarven bartering grounds, wherein honest Dwarves from remote corners of the world bring their goods for just a handful of my masterwork large serrated steel blades?  That's not so much "trading with humans" as it is "drowning humans and encasing their still-warm corpses in obsidian".

Not dwarven enough. A true dwarf would mine out the obsidian, keep the masterwork blades for himself, and sell the caravan masterwork obsidian mugs. We're supposed to be industrial too, damnit, and not wasting precious steel.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 06:57:40 am »

3 - GIVE. THEM. AWAY.

Tried this with some goblins/trolls/cave crocs in cages once. I used "move goods to depot", selected the cages, and my dwarves casually let the prisoners out of the cages. They deserved what they got. How do I trade a cage with the occupants STILL IN IT?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 07:39:51 am »

There's a big difference between caged hostiles and caged tamed animals.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: [1] 2