Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571639 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1155 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:04 am »

...but voiceover project is definitelly comming.

Could I help out in any way? I've got recording equipment and a few days to spend on DF stuff.

It would be very awesome.

Right now, full voiced lines are out of question - too many different lines and too many variations. Also, there are names and other stuff in text. And no way to tell gender or race of speaker.

However, it would be neat if we could to "simese/kerbalese/grumble/murmur/grunts" dub. Basically, inteligible speech that sounds about right for some emotions, but which does not really mean anything:

* "Greeting" - postitive sounding voice
* "Question" - inquisitove voice
* "Anger"
* "Concern"
* "Fear"
* "Boldnes", "Detemination" - oposite of fear
* "Informative, positive"
* "Informative, negative"
* "Agreement"
* "Disagreement (civil)"
* "Disagreement (angry)"
* "Goodbye"

Each type of dialogue line should have several versions.

This should cover most of current speech. It also seems like pretty good acting excercise :-)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:09 am »

Is there a tweak I can make to system.xml to make world gen music loop repeatedly?

loop="true" atribute of sound tag should do that.

Thanks! As long as i'm asking, what does playbackthreshold govern?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
« Reply #1157 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:17 pm »

I don't know if it's just me or what, but continuing to use the current version of SoundSense causes DF 0.40.01 to crash a lot more often. After I re-installed it (SoundSense), the game would crash as soon as I loaded in and took a step or two every single time. Without it running, I can play a lot longer.

Ubiqanon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:18 pm »

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else on this thread, but its a really long thread so...

Neither the web page for soundsense, the wiki page, or this forum lets people know how the auto update options work.  (Basically it say to run it, but not much else.)

It may be obvious on some level, but I find that options should include some general explanation.

If I run an automatic update with the 'Replace existing files' option checked, I assume that any new file that has the name of an old file will be replaced with the new one.  If that is so, what is the point of "Delete existing files".  Is this an option designed to completely wipe all existing files and replace them all with a new pack?  Not really sure what this option is, and why it is there?

Lately the auto update has been updating the same tracks over and over (without either box checked).  They are all labeled "New:(name of track)". Usually a Turkey Gobble sound is first, and a Lightning Strike Summer Storm is last.  The updater stops after about 80 or so tracks are loaded and reads "Done, restart SoundSense", but the updater data section shows 499529 kb / 293733 ok - total to update is -249709.  This is hard to understand, obviously as it appears that I have a negative quantity of data files to update?   The update load bar reads at 199% as well, which is also confusing.

Some explanation on the main pages as to what the options do, and how to interpret the auto load information would be really helpful.

Thanks for this great mod.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 10, 2014, 05:41:15 pm »

I don't know if it's just me or what, but continuing to use the current version of SoundSense causes DF 0.40.01 to crash a lot more often. After I re-installed it (SoundSense), the game would crash as soon as I loaded in and took a step or two every single time. Without it running, I can play a lot longer.

Since all Soundsense does is read the log DF generates and play sounds based on what it sees, it's pretty improbable that Soundsense directly causes DF to crash. It might be a memory issue on your computer that, when you put the two together, causes the crash. But SS doesn't really interact with DF at all, other than reading 1 file it generates, AFAIK.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:29 pm »

Could I help out in any way? I've got recording equipment and a few days to spend on DF stuff.

Right now, full voiced lines are out of question - too many different lines and too many variations. Also, there are names and other stuff in text. And no way to tell gender or race of speaker.

However, it would be neat if we could to "simese/kerbalese/grumble/murmur/grunts" dub. Basically, inteligible speech that sounds about right for some emotions, but which does not really mean anything:

* "Anger"
* "Concern"
* "Fear"
* "Agreement"
* "Disagreement (civil)"
* "Disagreement (angry)"
* "Goodbye"

This should cover most of current speech. It also seems like pretty good acting excercise :-)
Do the logs say things like "human hammerman: Bla bla bla" so we could use different voices for different races too?

I would personally like to see some of the more common (and coincidentally non-name-involving) lines at least half enunciated. You know the ones I'm talking about...
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
« Reply #1161 on: July 11, 2014, 05:00:51 pm »

* "Anger"
* "Concern"
* "Fear"
* "Agreement"
* "Disagreement (civil)"
* "Disagreement (angry)"
* "Goodbye"

Do the logs say things like "human hammerman: Bla bla bla" so we could use different voices for different races too?

I would personally like to see some of the more common (and coincidentally non-name-involving) lines at least half enunciated. You know the ones I'm talking about...

It says their race like that only if you don't know the person's name. Other wise, it shows their name and profession instead of race and profession.
« Reply #1162 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »

Since all Soundsense does is read the log DF generates and play sounds based on what it sees, it's pretty improbable that Soundsense directly causes DF to crash. It might be a memory issue on your computer that, when you put the two together, causes the crash. But SS doesn't really interact with DF at all, other than reading 1 file it generates, AFAIK.

I'm gonna go with just a weird coincidence because with 0.40.02 it works just fine.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 13, 2014, 05:07:15 pm »

So I'm kinda confused here. I've got a lot of sounds not playing, most obviously the one when you start DF. I installed the base Soundsense, launched it and hit the pack update. Once it's done I hit it again just to make sure. And there's a group of files that it keeps trying to redownload. Going into the system.xml I see
Code: [Select]
<sound logPattern="\*\*\* STARTING NEW GAME \*\*\*" channel="music" loop="stop" playbackThreshhold="0">
<!-- http://opengameart.org/content/radakan-moldan-chase-over-success -->
<soundFile fileName="Radakan - Moldan Chase over (success).mp3" />
</sound>

The sound file has no path. It looks like it's supposed to get it from an online resource? But it's commented out.

Meanwhile, I can't actually find the sound files the updater says it downloaded anywhere on my hard drive.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 14, 2014, 04:50:51 am »

I've got a lot of sounds not playing
Download sound pack manually. The problem is documented here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60287.msg5371074#msg5371074

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:27 pm »

Thanks, that got me straightened out.

Is there anyway to allow two sounds to play on one channel? I'd like to layer some of the weather effects over each other.

Ah k. By not specifying a channel I can get them both to play.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:01:40 pm by nenjin »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1166 on: July 15, 2014, 02:23:43 am »

Could it be issue only with mac?

I'll look into that for next release.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1167 on: July 15, 2014, 02:33:12 am »

Is there anyway to allow two sounds to play on one channel? I'd like to layer some of the weather effects over each other.

Yes, but they will not be cut short when weather clears.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:19 am »

Is there a way to configure a sound to play when I get a FB?  It seems funny to me that I get told when the season changes, but not when some eldritch horror from before time crawls out from the depths under my fort...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 15, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »

Could it be issue only with mac?

I'll look into that for next release.

Definitely happened to me on Windows 7. Just installing Soundsense and starting the autoupdater caused me to not get ~50% of files. And it did a real number on the xmls, to the point legitimate statements weren't being parsed right. ("This does not match any rule.") I was seriously losing my mind trying to get custom music and stuff to work, before I was clued in.

Yes, but they will not be cut short when weather clears.

On that note, is there any attribute you can set to govern the # of times a track will repeat before stopping? Is that playbackthreshold= ? Reason is the weather effects in adventure mode do not loop, and the messages have to be fetched by the player with "W" instead of being automatically put into the log. They fire, play once and stop unless you check the weather again. So I'm looking to extend the playback of weather sounds without putting them on loop.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 105