Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571413 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #960 on: February 13, 2013, 03:22:51 am »

Must not be processed yet.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #961 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:50 am »

ADDENDUM:
All items sealed within should, logically, remain sealed inside when reclaimed. Especially seeing as there is no access to within it by any other means than mining through it directly. So, hopefully, no crash upon loading up the reclaiming effort.

I love this "doom box" :-)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #962 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:04 am »

I was going on the assumption that, with the company destroyed and no one buying their assets, then control of individual graphic/sound assets passes to the artists. But, the guy himself shrugged on who has permission to give permission, so that's the end of that. I assumed permission denied unless granted. It's just a particularly good death sound. Too bad

As for gaps in the packs, well, I have the tools to make some completely copyright free sounds of my own. I've got an idea for "Horrifying screams echo from the darkness below!"

Actually, someone was faster and made excellent demonic sounds just days before you.

Yes, i assumed that when company is dissolved, original authors would retain copyright. I guess "dunno" can be equaled to "I dont care", so we can take it as permission.

This is really Zwei's project and he's the one to approve sounds. When I submit sounds to consider I either send them via email (his addy found on his homepage) or, as I said earlier, I submit custom sounds to Freesound.org (or to some other sound source site listed under "Modding resources") and post the link to it via a post here or by PM.

Edit: Though, if you upload and post the link here I suppose some of us could listen and give feedback, such as suggestions.

I definitelly welcome people posting links/suggesting sounds here.

I might have final word or something like that, but more ears before it gets put into pack is welcome.

How do I make soundsense take dfhack into account? I loaded soundsense, the dfhack console, downloaded the latest soundsense.lua script and when I run the command "soundsense" I get the following error:

unexpected symbol near char(239)

I have no idea what this could mean. Do you have latest dfhack?

Anyway, sounds realted to this are not released yet so you would not get sounds anyway :-)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 14, 2013, 12:54:07 am »

Zwei, is it possible to have SoundSense optionally call an external program or Lua (DFHack) script for a specific logPattern, in addition to or instead of sounds/music?

I ask because I was interested in the Dwarven Heritage Project, which has dwarves inherit the last names of their ancestors (instead of randomly chosen).

This Dwarven Heritage script needs to be run when a child is born in order to name the new child. Since SoundSense is already listening to gamelog.txt for logPatterns "(.+) has given birth to a" boy / girl / twins / triplets, I thought it would be very handy if it could call heritage.lua. Heh, I'd probably forget to do this, otherwise...  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:00:59 am by Thundercraft »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 14, 2013, 01:10:05 am »

Huh, apparently each sound uploaded to Freesound must be approved by a moderator, which will probably take time. Any alternative sites that won't install something on my computer or do anything else annoying?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:45 am »

It's been, what... about 24 hours?

Perhaps you could try submitting to SoundBible? And while it's all public domain, pdsounds does have many different categories, including human voice.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #966 on: February 14, 2013, 05:15:12 am »

Zwei, is it possible to have SoundSense optionally call an external program or Lua (DFHack) script for a specific logPattern, in addition to or instead of sounds/music?

I have no idea whether calling lua scripts is possible from outside of dfhack enviroment ... if it is, then yes.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 14, 2013, 07:44:18 am »

I have no idea whether calling lua scripts is possible from outside of dfhack enviroment ... if it is, then yes.

The newest DFHack readme on GitHub:
NOTE: The dfhack-run executable is there for calling DFHack commands in an already running DF+DFHack instance from external OS scripts and programs, and is not the way how you use DFHack normally.

You do it like this:  dfhack-run <any dfhack command here>
In my case, that would be: dfhack-run heritage

(BTW: Notice that you use "dfhack-run" and not "dfhack"...)

So, does SoundSense already have the capability to call external programs? If it does, what syntax do we use for that in the .xml? If it does not, are you currently considering this feature?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:47:38 am by Thundercraft »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 14, 2013, 09:36:18 am »

I really hope so, as message-activated scripts have many, many possibilities.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #969 on: February 14, 2013, 01:38:45 pm »

The newest DFHack readme on GitHub:
NOTE: The dfhack-run executable is there for calling DFHack commands in an already running DF+DFHack instance from external OS scripts and programs, and is not the way how you use DFHack normally.

You do it like this:  dfhack-run <any dfhack command here>
In my case, that would be: dfhack-run heritage

(BTW: Notice that you use "dfhack-run" and not "dfhack"...)

So, does SoundSense already have the capability to call external programs? If it does, what syntax do we use for that in the .xml? If it does not, are you currently considering this feature?

Ah, in this case it would be simple.

Capability to call external programs could easily be added - something additional like achievements tool.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #970 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:32 am »

I have uploaded new soundpack that takes advantage of dhack lua script, it is in usul locations and also here:
http://www.armedassault.info/_hosted/soundsense/soundpack.zip

Latest dfhack integration script is here:
https://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/source/browse/trunk/SoundSense/dfhack/scripts/soundsense.lua

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:35 am »

I have uploaded new soundpack that takes advantage of dhack lua script, it is in usul locations and also here:

https://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/source/browse/trunk/SoundSense/dfhack/scripts/soundsense.lua

The soundsense.lua script is interesting to study. And I'm glad SoundSense can take advantage of DFHack's capabilities. But aside from adding/updating a dfhack directory, what was changed in the soundpack? ???

This was not what I was expecting at all. :-\ I was hoping to see you had changed SoundSense itself to recognize a new .xml command, in addition to the usual <sound logPattern=""></sound> and <soundFile fileName="" />. That is, I was expecting it would now be possible for SoundSense to recognize something like <call fileName="dfhack-run.exe heritage" /> or maybe even <dfhack-run lua="heritage" /> to call any lua script directly. (I'm just using "heritage.lua" as an example. It could be any lua script.)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #972 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:34 am »

The soundsense.lua script is interesting to study. And I'm glad SoundSense can take advantage of DFHack's capabilities. But aside from adding/updating a dfhack directory, what was changed in the soundpack? ???

This was not what I was expecting at all. :-\ I was hoping to see you had changed SoundSense itself to recognize a new .xml command, in addition to the usual <sound logPattern=""></sound> and <soundFile fileName="" />. That is, I was expecting it would now be possible for SoundSense to recognize something like <call fileName="dfhack-run.exe heritage" /> or maybe even <dfhack-run lua="heritage" /> to call any lua script directly. (I'm just using "heritage.lua" as an example. It could be any lua script.)

Demonic sounds were added to discovery of demon areas in recent release, but there were no changed to soundsense itself beyond being able to read multiple logs simultaneously, but have no output.

But it would have been usefull adition - another use would be to make soundsense itself start soundsense.lua script when fortress is loaded or embarked. So yes, I will make it happen like this :-).

Btw: warning about soundsense.lua - scipt incorrectly recognizes ambush as a siege, so if you get Vile Force of... message early in game and there is no actual siege, ambush party has entered map instead. This warning might be considered cheat or spoiler.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 19, 2013, 07:30:57 pm »

Or an alarm system XD

Well, my sound finally came through, about a week after the fact. Here.

Any links to the sound that got used for the pack?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:57 pm »

Any links to the sound that got used for the pack?

Those were submitted to Freesound around the time you submitted yours. However, these are still awaiting moderation. I can tell you, though, that these are 5 short, remixed clips of this Scary Demon Haunting Sound.

Well, my sound finally came through, about a week after the fact. Here.

Not bad at all. :) We might find a use for that. Perhaps a night creature? It could take a bit of thinking.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 105