Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571451 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:26 am »

So, after seeing the video, I'm totally sold on the dfhack script.  I'm getting the following error:

[DFHack]# lua hack/lua/soundsense.lua
Winter has arrived on the calendar.
It has started raining.
hack/lua/soundsense.lua:111: attempt to call field 'timeout' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        hack/lua/soundsense.lua:111: in function 'event_loop'
        hack/lua/soundsense.lua:114: in main chunk
[DFHack]#

Thanks, zwei!

First, get latest script, it is here: http://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/source/browse/trunk/SoundSense/dfhack/scripts/soundsense.lua

Seccond, you need to put it into dfhack/scripts directory and run it as dfhack command (it should display when you do dir on available commands) a run "soundsense" - i guess you ran it as "lua <path to soundsense.lua script>"

Published soundpack was not updated yet, so you will only have new anouncements right now.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 28, 2013, 08:03:58 am »

Thanks again, zwei!  It's now working just as expected.

Tukker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 29, 2013, 01:28:06 pm »

created an account explicitly to say thank you for Soundsense - it is amazing and the quality of your sounds are stellar.  Thank you fo all that you do - a fan.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:09 pm »

Just thought of something: wouldn't it be hilarious and awesome if the sound played for the announcement of someone finishing their artifact was "Beyond Quality?" Because artifacts are "of the highest quality"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sandi Mexicola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »

Thanks so much for soundsense!  i Love it!

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 31, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »

I can't connect to his website to download it at all.  Haven't been able to for the better part of a year now, actually.

Edit: It works with a proxy;  Something is blocking something somewhere between me and there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:28:16 pm by Rutilant »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #936 on: February 01, 2013, 05:25:02 am »

I can't connect to his website to download it at all.  Haven't been able to for the better part of a year now, actually.

Edit: It works with a proxy;  Something is blocking something somewhere between me and there.

Yes, you should talk to your ISP.

Also, there are downloads at google code project page: http://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/downloads/list

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 01, 2013, 01:46:24 pm »

Yes, you should talk to your ISP.

Also, there are downloads at google code project page: http://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/downloads/list

Thank you.  I only seem to have a sample configuration - does a full one not come with the program?

I can't download the soundpack off your website, and half of the proxies I use are also unable to connect to your website in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:57:37 pm by Rutilant »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 06, 2013, 06:37:28 am »

Just thought of something: wouldn't it be hilarious and awesome if the sound played for the announcement of someone finishing their artifact was "Beyond Quality?" Because artifacts are "of the highest quality"

I'm relatively sure that Soundsense supports Ogg Vorbis, and even if it doesn't it's pretty simple to make the OGG into an mp3 and add a pointer in the Soundsense xml.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 07, 2013, 02:47:35 am »

I just noticed your reply in the Logging improvements thread:
I have started implementing them as dfhack plugin: http://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/source/browse/trunk/SoundSense/dfhack/scripts/soundsense.lua
Hey, that's great! Awesome! 8)

I can understand some of the stuff in the code, though I'm not familiar with Lua. But I wonder how difficult it would be to add messages for adventure mode stuff like facing your quest target or encountering a megabeast? Wouldn't SoundSense need to test to see if the game is in adventure mode first, before trying to read values for that stuff?

Edit: Last version I used, .ogg was supported. (That doesn't necessary mean this is still the case, though.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:49:07 am by Thundercraft »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 07, 2013, 02:49:06 am »

I'm relatively sure that Soundsense supports Ogg Vorbis, and even if it doesn't it's pretty simple to make the OGG into an mp3 and add a pointer in the Soundsense xml.
Already done XD

Where's a good place to upload sounds? I've got this one sound I think works better than the willhelm scream (which just seems kinda bofo to me) for deaths that I've wanted to upload forever.

Say, launching Soundsense when Dfhack starts up would be pretty neat

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:13 am »

Where's a good place to upload sounds? I've got this one sound I think works better than the willhelm scream (which just seems kinda bofo to me) for deaths that I've wanted to upload forever.

If you own the rights or otherwise have permission, you could upload to Freesound.org under a flavor of creative commons license. I have uploaded stuff there before. Or, if you want to put in public domain there's pdsounds. Both are good sources of sounds.

As for the Willhelm scream, I find it weird and terribly annoying. I've actually got several alternatives to that on my drives, but I never really finished them or bothered uploading. (Real life stuff got in the way and I stopped playing DF.)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #942 on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:51 am »

I just noticed your reply in the Logging improvements thread:
I have started implementing them as dfhack plugin: http://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/source/browse/trunk/SoundSense/dfhack/scripts/soundsense.lua
Hey, that's great! Awesome! 8)

I can understand some of the stuff in the code, though I'm not familiar with Lua. But I wonder how difficult it would be to add messages for adventure mode stuff like facing your quest target or encountering a megabeast? Wouldn't SoundSense need to test to see if the game is in adventure mode first, before trying to read values for that stuff?

I think it would be doable, but that is more of question for dfhack authors.

For adventurer mode, i think two scripts should be separate to avoid headaches, so no check should be necessary.

Don't upload it, give us source :-)

If you own the rights or otherwise have permission, you could upload to Freesound.org under a flavor of creative commons license. I have uploaded stuff there before. Or, if you want to put in public domain there's pdsounds. Both are good sources of sounds.

As for the Willhelm scream, I find it weird and terribly annoying. I've actually got several alternatives to that on my drives, but I never really finished them or bothered uploading. (Real life stuff got in the way and I stopped playing DF.)

Well, I would like it to end up being rare 1 - in -1000, easter egg, type sounds. So share those alternatives!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:14 am »

The sound I've got is from an abandonware game whose assets thus have little legal restrictions. It used to scare the crap out of me as a kid, so for me it feels like a sudden shock when I hear it, but others may not have the association.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 07, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »

Being "abandonware" merely means that it is old stuff and unlikely to cause trouble. ::) Even if it was released as "freeware" they are not giving up their copyrights.

I would not add "questionable" material to the soundpack. (If you just can't play without it, I suggest it should only be available as separate from the official soundpack.) SoundSense is a wonderful and amazing project. But being a non-commercial fan project is not much of a legal excuse.

Over 2 years ago I started to collect and edit sounds and music to add. Most of this was animal sounds. It's all still on my drives, either unfinished or never submitted.

I had also been working on a license.txt document that gives credits and usage permissions for the music and sounds - both for what is already in the SoundSense library and for what I was going to add. But I never finished it. And one of the things that put it on hiatus was the few pieces left without permission. It threw me for a loop. :-\

It seems redundant to ask for permission and give credit for 95% of the music and sounds and ignore it for the other 5%. If you're going part way, why not save the effort and completely ignore stuff like licenses and CC conditions and use it anyway? Either that, or the project should be 100% legit.

That, and I feel like those who gave permission - either directly to me or via a creative commons license - would not approve of a project that's not entirely legitimate.

I had spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos for sounds of Muskox, Bear, Bugs, Bats, Crocodiles, Alligators, Cub Leopards, Cub Panthers, etc. Then I sent the video owners personal messages asking for permission to use the animal sounds in SoundSense - a fan-made music and sound mod for a game none of them had heard of. And then, weeks or months later, I might get a reply. Maybe 1 in 6 would reply - if that. Though, if they did reply they usually said yes.

Then there's the time I spent on Freesound.org, pdsounds and countless other places for animal sounds. (Quality animal sounds are very hard to come by, especially for baby animals!) And the time on ccMixter and similar for creative commons music that would fit a certain mood and might be dwarfy and medieval enough to work. And I always saved the web link, license info, and any contact info.

Also, last time I checked the soundpacks, most of the content is either CC or public domain. The rest is largely original stuff recorded especially for SoundSense.

My point is that effort has already been made to stick with legitimate content. And with some effort it is possible to find excellent quality music and sounds under either creative commons or public domain. Some of the stuff on ccMixter really is professional level. And it's not hard to keep the web link and license info in a tiny text (notepad) file, using the same file name as the sound/music to keep it organized.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:05:24 am by Thundercraft »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 105