Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571654 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #840 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:07 am »

SoundSense does not seem to work with version DF 34.11. Is there a way to get it to work with that version the error I get in soundsense is: Exception in thread 'main' java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IProgressCallback : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
Doesn't that mean it does not support my version of Dwarf Fortress? How can I fix this?

Guess you should download previous version of SS (r34) or latest java, whichever is easier
Thanks, It works now.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:01 pm »

This is a great utility.

One thing though: I do not want battle sounds when my soldiers are training (it makes me nervous :)), only when there is a real fight with real enemies. Is this possible, and if it is, how do I change the settings?
DF: where imagination beats animation

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 30, 2012, 04:35:03 am »

Great utility pack, is there another soundpack floating around though?

Ive heard someone elses on a stream and it was definately different from mine, but i was told he just downloaded vanilla soundsenes.
I have the most up to date version, perhaps he has an older version?

If so id love to merge the packs together, any info on this or other packs available?

Thanks

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 30, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »

Seems there might be ways around that as well, but this is turning into a research project, and research projects are always just something I work on in short fits.  Oh well, I learned something anyway.  Thanks much. :)  If I ever do get something functional I'll throw it up here.

Anyone remember that?  I was tying to get both DF and soundsense to run at once with .bat files and kept coming up with hitches, with start or run or whatever command I used, the batch file was always waiting til the first program closed to start the next.  It seemed like it would be possible, but the .batch file just didn't seem to agree with me on it.

Recently in my windows 7 class I learned about something called VBScript.  I put it in the back of my mind and finally remembered it and wondered if I could use that to run the 2 .exe files at once.  After some research into how to run a single .exe with VBScript, and a little playing with the block of code I found, it worked!

You should in theory be able to paste this code below into a txt file(changing the *path here*, to the full path to DF and Soundsense on your machine respectively), change the extension from .txt to .vbs and double click and it should run both DF and Soundsense at the same time on any windows operating system from the last decade.

Code: [Select]
Sub Run(ByVal sFile)
Dim shell

Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    shell.Run Chr(34) & sFile & Chr(34), 1, false
    Set shell = Nothing
End Sub

run "*path to Dwarf Fortress.exe here*"
run "*path to stoneSense.exe here*"
Disclaimer: I do not claim to have written this.  I only modified it a bit from an example block of code I found on the internet.  Hell I don't even really know what anything above the run command does, except maybe define "Run".  If you are the origonal author of the block of code I modified, let me know and I will happily give you credit.

It might not be the best way to do it, I know next to nothing on how to actually write these, but it seems to work for me and seems to have a good chance of working for others.  So I figured I would post it here :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 30, 2012, 09:05:04 pm »

While that should work, most antivirus programs have a fit if a .vbs file tries to launch .exe files.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »

Ah, mine didn't but it would make sense for it to now that I think about it.  Maybe my AV was just smart enough to know I put it there, or maybe just Avast! isn't as paranoid as most. :P 

Better than nothing though I guess.  And I can't think of any other way to do it all with one doubleclick.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:02 am »

sorry if this isn't the right place to post it, but i'm having issues with soundSense v34, #163 updated today, 2/7/2012
during sparring it constantly crashes with memory access violation and/or just stops playing battle mp3s, at the moment, it's got 5 mp3s lined up in SFX:
strike3, blocked5, bash2, strike3, blocked4 and it doesn't play them but this is the only way it'll run without crashing... unfortunately i don't get music or other sounds.

so i restart and it runs normally until i get sparring again.
i have AMD hd audio drivers and i've updated that, also updated java to latest version yesterday, still seeing same issues. most of the time it's the memory violation problem.

LutherBlissett

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 02, 2012, 09:50:56 am »

Hi there,

Is there a solution to SoundSense not working in Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 which appears to be stuck with Java6?
see here

I've installed it as part of DwarfBuilder and Mac Newbie. I note that the wiki suggests SS requires Java 7.

I've tried using the 32_146 version .jar instead of the latest and it gets further along... I can select the gamelog.txt but then I get the following:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IProgressCallback
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cz.zweistein.autoupdater.callback.IProgressCallback
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
... 13 more

Any way to get SoundSense working on Snow Leopard?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:43:59 am by LutherBlissett »

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #848 on: July 03, 2012, 07:34:37 pm »

Hi folks, just want to say I made a new song called "Inith and Od Travel North":

http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/inith-and-od-travel-north

It's kind of "about" this family fortress I once had. The wife got her first baby after like a year or two, but was brutally murdered by a unicorn trapped in the catacombs (used for burying migrants). The baby didn't make it either, she was gored and trampled. It was all very tragic, but perhaps I can...ahem... "remember them in song" (*bows, then takes the lyre*)...
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #849 on: July 05, 2012, 08:15:53 pm »

Another one: http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/ztiq

I don't remember now if there's a military/war trigger or when you form your first squad or something? Maybe this fits there or something?
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

mazterlith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 05, 2012, 11:18:30 pm »

Hi, not sure if this question has been asked before, but for some reason I can't connect to zwei's main website and was wondering: are there were any other places to get sound packs? How do I make my own?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:21:57 pm by mazterlith »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 05, 2012, 11:56:20 pm »

Another one: http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/ztiq

I don't remember now if there's a military/war trigger or when you form your first squad or something? Maybe this fits there or something?

I don't think there is, which is unfortunate as this would be excellent combat music. Although, could also use it for world-gen...

Hi, not sure if this question has been asked before, but for some reason I can't connect to zwei's main website and was wondering: are there were any other places to get sound packs? How do I make my own?

I think it's pretty much all on his website. As for making your own, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:SoundSense#Customization is a good place to start. Also, this: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/packSkeletons.zip  But again, that's on his website. A bit odd that you can't connect. Is the program's AutoUpdater failing, or are you trying to download it manually, or both?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 06, 2012, 01:07:29 am »

Seems there might be ways around that as well, but this is turning into a research project, and research projects are always just something I work on in short fits.  Oh well, I learned something anyway.  Thanks much. :)  If I ever do get something functional I'll throw it up here.

Anyone remember that?  I was tying to get both DF and soundsense to run at once with .bat files and kept coming up with hitches, with start or run or whatever command I used, the batch file was always waiting til the first program closed to start the next.  It seemed like it would be possible, but the .batch file just didn't seem to agree with me on it.

The 'call' command is what you were after ('start' is synchronous):

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/call.mspx

Might also be able to use 'javaw' instead of 'java' for SS to avoid one command prompt - javaw executes the Java process w/o the command window.

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 06, 2012, 01:14:37 am »

sorry if this isn't the right place to post it, but i'm having issues with soundSense v34, #163 updated today, 2/7/2012
during sparring it constantly crashes with memory access violation and/or just stops playing battle mp3s, at the moment, it's got 5 mp3s lined up in SFX:
strike3, blocked5, bash2, strike3, blocked4 and it doesn't play them but this is the only way it'll run without crashing... unfortunately i don't get music or other sounds.

so i restart and it runs normally until i get sparring again.
i have AMD hd audio drivers and i've updated that, also updated java to latest version yesterday, still seeing same issues. most of the time it's the memory violation problem.

FWIW I get this crash also - I haven't looked into it yet or seen the stacktrace if it dumps one out in the logs. Maybe guessing a corruption in one of the sound files, but the fact it works OK sometimes seems to disprove that. Must be in native code though I'd think, does it just use the core javax.* sound stuff? I might see if I can run it in an Eclipse debug session or check the logs when my next military is setup and sparring.

Edit: Actually I decided I'd check out JDK 1.7.0_05 for other reasons, but since upgrading that I haven't had any issues. Guess a bug in the JDK 6 MP3/sound support.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:46:31 am by Marc Remillard »

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:29 am »

Hi there,

Is there a solution to SoundSense not working in Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 which appears to be stuck with Java6?
see here

I've installed it as part of DwarfBuilder and Mac Newbie. I note that the wiki suggests SS requires Java 7.

I've tried using the 32_146 version .jar instead of the latest and it gets further along... I can select the gamelog.txt but then I get the following:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IProgressCallback
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cz.zweistein.autoupdater.callback.IProgressCallback
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
... 13 more

Any way to get SoundSense working on Snow Leopard?
Thanks.

On the face of it, it just looks like an issue with the classpath. I can't think of much that's been added in JDK7 that'd be necessary for SS, or at least shouldn't be for what it does. I don't have a MacOS handy though besides the work laptop, and I find it such a painful OS to bother getting it out. What's the classpath look like?
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 105