Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571733 times)

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #825 on: June 23, 2012, 04:25:48 am »

Ok so here's that error message I've been getting:

"Exception with .\packs\seasons/summer/Expeditionary.mp3: java.io.IOexception: Resetting to invalid mark: Resetting to invalid mark"

I hate to dig up things that are months old, but I'm getting the same problem. Also on all of my modded-in music.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 23, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »

Some of those slashes look like they face the wrong way...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 23, 2012, 07:03:00 pm »

Some of those slashes look like they face the wrong way...
It looks like that, yeah. But there's two things: 1. This is a default-installed sound clip, so that'd be something broken in the default Soundsense pack for everyone (which it's not, or I would find more than one result on this) 2. when I went back and read through the logs, some of the working sound clips had these backward facing slashes, meaning the slashes aren't the cause.

Thanks anyway!
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:28 am »

So any chance we can get even more royalty free soundtracks?

SoundSense, the 200MB extra music with it is amazing, it honestly makes dwarf fortress so much more enjoyable and less silent. Gives it more atmosphere really, in my opinion this is much better than anything Stone Sense can ever be.

So thank you for this amazing mod.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 24, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »

Sup guys. I made another track for soundsense if it fits somewhere. It's a little jollier this time: http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/the-tankard-basher-1

Here are the lyrics:

ucat udir ucat umom
otin necàk otin nashon
ór deb avuz
råsh numol libash thol
råsh numol libash thol

otin necàk otin nashon
ucat udir ucat umom
ór deb avuz
råsh numol libash thol
råsh numol libash thol

ucat udir ucat umom (abod ber)
otin necàk otin nashon (abod ber)
ór deb avuz (abod ber)
råsh numol libash thol (abod ber)

råsh numol libash thol

As you know the language still needs some embellishments (i.e. verbs, conjunctions etc.), but I think this should make sense. I'm not gonna give my translation, though. Go brush up on the Dwarven tongue  :P

I couldn't find necàk in the language raws.

But here's what I got out of it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #830 on: June 24, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »

I couldn't find necàk in the language raws.

But here's what I got out of it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hi orius

yeah, i didn't cross a "t" and ended up with an incorrect necak for netak...so...yay! the first translation mistake in toadese... anyway, your translation seems as good as any. no verbs makes it go...funny

So any chance we can get even more royalty free soundtracks?

I've got a bunch of half-made tracks that I want to add soon (unless you weren't referring to my songs in which case i now sound like a douche). first have to finish my thesis though...  :-\
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 24, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »

Well, there are verbs in the language raws, the language_words.txt file states that drink, eat, and mine can be used as a noun or verb (so I went with verb), but there are certain verbs like "to be" that are missing.  There's also no pronouns, prepositions, or conjunctions and the like so I kind of just put in such words so it would make some sense.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #832 on: June 25, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »

Well, there are verbs in the language raws, the language_words.txt file states that drink, eat, and mine can be used as a noun or verb (so I went with verb), but there are certain verbs like "to be" that are missing.  There's also no pronouns, prepositions, or conjunctions and the like so I kind of just put in such words so it would make some sense.

Exactly, sorry, I meant the lack of certain verbs such as "to be" as you say, not all verbs. Although the lack of pronouns etc. make the translations potentially ultra-flexible. That's not really a problem for me. I suppose if enough people use a language, some spontaneous conventions are generated. Hmm, might be wishful thinking at the moment  :D
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 25, 2012, 01:59:38 pm »

Love this mod. Makes DF much more enjoyable to play. For some reason thou, soundsense will randomly close down.  I'm not sure what causes it, as I never immidiatly notice it.
Also, how exactly do you add new sounds?  I looked on the wiki, but I don't understand what it's saying. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 25, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »

Continuing the story of Deebus just wouldn't be right without Soundsense.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #835 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:49 pm »

Next one is up: "Kobold March"

ogg: http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/kobold-march
mp3:http://www.reverbnation.com/simonswerwer

@zwei: do you mind if i post news of new songs here? otherwise I'll make a new topic under "Creative Projects".

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:13 pm »

Love this mod. Makes DF much more enjoyable to play. For some reason thou, soundsense will randomly close down.  I'm not sure what causes it, as I never immidiatly notice it.
Also, how exactly do you add new sounds?  I looked on the wiki, but I don't understand what it's saying.
2 things I'd do. 

1.  Make sure your Java version is up to date.  Mine closed down, like yours, and I think it had something to do with the update checker, trying to tell me to update.
2.  There is a sound pack zip file.  You'll need a program to unzip files, then extract it and put it in soundsense pack directory.  I unzip stuff to new folders on my desktop, and then drag the pack folder into the correct place.  Here is the location of mine.
C:\Program Files\LazyNewbPack\LNP\Utilities\1-Newb\soundsense\packs
While your dragging and dropping the pack folder, accept all the newer files.  Good luck, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #837 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:19 am »

@zwei: do you mind if i post news of new songs here? otherwise I'll make a new topic under "Creative Projects".

I don't mind at all.

And good job on last track -i especially like 1:13 part :-)

If you have trouble with it closing down, i really need more info - either check if there are files like "hs_err_pid2224.log" in soundsense home directory, or you can run it with soundSense.cmd, then windows should stay open with error message (if there is any).

As for adding - open xml files in soundpack and take a look. Edit small stuff.

Ok so here's that error message I've been getting:

"Exception with .\packs\seasons/summer/Expeditionary.mp3: java.io.IOexception: Resetting to invalid mark: Resetting to invalid mark"

I hate to dig up things that are months old, but I'm getting the same problem. Also on all of my modded-in music.

Still looking onto it.

Any chance those mps3 are in vbr?

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 27, 2012, 05:38:10 pm »

SoundSense does not seem to work with version DF 34.11. Is there a way to get it to work with that version the error I get in soundsense is: Exception in thread 'main' java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IProgressCallback : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
Doesn't that mean it does not support my version of Dwarf Fortress? How can I fix this?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #839 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:15 am »

SoundSense does not seem to work with version DF 34.11. Is there a way to get it to work with that version the error I get in soundsense is: Exception in thread 'main' java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IProgressCallback : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
Doesn't that mean it does not support my version of Dwarf Fortress? How can I fix this?

Guess you should download previous version of SS (r34) or latest java, whichever is easier
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 105