Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571729 times)

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #630 on: February 23, 2012, 02:24:43 am »

Soundsense works in adventure mode? I think It can be great hear your hammer smashing a goblin head!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #631 on: February 23, 2012, 02:31:26 am »

Help?

Look for red text few posts above you.

Soundsense works in adventure mode? I think It can be great hear your hammer smashing a goblin head!

Yes, It does. There are just not that many adv mode events registered in it.

From what I understand there is no battle music for seiges because

A) The actual "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" does NOT get sent to the gamelog by DF.  Soundsense never sees it.

And B) There is no gamelog indication of the END of a siege.  So soundsense also dosn't know when to end the music.

Ah, shame. "A vile force..." message used to appear in logs in DF2010.

I see to be getting several I/O errors in the SS log. I didn't think to copy paste them last night, but basically it's "Java I/O error, resetting to last invalid mark." Or something. I thought it was some of my custom music entires in the .xmls....so I updated. Still occasionally getting them, but not as often as before. (I finally noticed there was a problem when I realized I'd been listening to the same track in Dwarf Mode for over 30 minutes.)

Well, when you get them again, it would be great if you copied those messages.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:56 am »

Thanks!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:35 am »

snip

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:58 pm »

I wish it would launch as soon as you launch DF, rather then halfing to launch it manualy. Or mabye it does and im just a complete idiot and cant find out. Anyway, its just a little annoyance for me.

Anyway, this is amazing, however some of the noices are..... er..... well you know, just kindof weird. and by kindof i mean alot.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:20 pm »

Also, If you seen new interesting DF2012 messages in logs, post em here :-)

"Great bronze arrow there, my friend."
"Are you interested in a bronze arrow, my friend?"

Quotes are part of the gamelog.txt file. I think you could play a sound of market bustling/chatter when the program sees the quotes, as I don't know if anything else makes those appear.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:49 pm »

I wish it would launch as soon as you launch DF, rather then halfing to launch it manualy. Or mabye it does and im just a complete idiot and cant find out. Anyway, its just a little annoyance for me.

Anyway, this is amazing, however some of the noices are..... er..... well you know, just kindof weird. and by kindof i mean alot.

It should be possible to make a batch file that will run them both at once.  I've always been thinking about throwing one together but I'm a lazy computer geek and never got around to it.

Hmm, well in theory it should have worked, but my batch file kung fu is probably weaker than the average geek's.
Anybody know what simple mistake I'm making?  DF runs fine, soundsense errors.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:08:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #637 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:21 pm »

Watching this video got me idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O92FP7MX1c

I wonder how guitar soundtrack that is composed of covers of "famous" game/movie music pieces would fare.¨

Anybody know what simple mistake I'm making?  DF runs fine, soundsense errors.

You are starting soundsense from dwarf fortress directory. Which means that it does not have any classes, libraries, configs, etc... available. You need to change to ss dir before running it.

I think you need to do something like:

Code: [Select]
cd "soundsense .30"
soundsense.exe
cd ..
"Dwarf Fortress.exe"

"Great bronze arrow there, my friend."
"Are you interested in a bronze arrow, my friend?"

Quotes are part of the gamelog.txt file. I think you could play a sound of market bustling/chatter when the program sees the quotes, as I don't know if anything else makes those appear.

They are also similar messages for ambushes.

I would like market chatter, but it is pretty hard to find decent one, for example this: http://www.freesound.org/people/klankbeeld/sounds/132859/ is fairly good, but not that great. I also need about 20 small chunks of 5-10 secconds to have enough variety.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #638 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:03 pm »

I just came into possession of one of those ten-CD bundles of all the clipart, buttons and so forth that a budding web designer could ever have wanted in the misd 1990s. One of them contains about three and a half thousand assorted .wav files, so as soon as I find the lead for my external disc drive I'll be glad to pass them on.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kordanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 25, 2012, 04:59:39 pm »

Watching this video got me idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O92FP7MX1c

I wonder how guitar soundtrack that is composed of covers of "famous" game/movie music pieces would fare.¨

I am not sure what the copyright issues might be here. As it was mentioned before Ultima Sounds would also be pretty cool and fitting. But we are allowed to pubish such soundpacks (even if covered) is a question I can't answer. Most of the Ultima Music however was in midi format. So I guess it's pretty easy to make covers without too much research (if you are into instruments of course). Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1gC3BLq2w
And one of the covers on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26rXxiRhc8

I also know that the Civ4 Total Conversion called Fall From Heaven 2 uses tons of cool music for a fantasy theme, e.g. Arcana and Nox Arcana
In an interview found here: http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=121 they are saying they use small stuff even without having the rights and using the full Music tracks only from the artist who gave them permission. Nox Arcana was one of them (and actually after playinf FFH2 I bought several CDs from these bands).

So I guess you just need to find the right people supporting it. Probably you can even find publishers of old games who don't mind that someone else is using their sound effects now. UO/EA is probably the wrong choice though I guess and unfortunately they devoured lots of the old cool game licenses.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 25, 2012, 06:27:30 pm »

cd "soundsense .30"
soundsense.exe
cd ..
"Dwarf Fortress.exe"

Thanks, that helped a lot.  I came across another issue, seems that the batch file refuses to continue until the first program is closed due to old DOS'es inability to multitask. (Both Soundsense and DFHack enhanced DF actually use their command windows, bugger.)

Seems there might be ways around that as well, but this is turning into a research project, and research projects are always just something I work on in short fits.  Oh well, I learned something anyway.  Thanks much. :)  If I ever do get something functional I'll throw it up here.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »

Ok, new question since I finally got around to updating my soundsense, I needed to redo my customisations.  Well enough I suppose since It was set up in some odd way.  But when I try to set it up in a way that just points to the music's permanent home instead of having to make a dozen copies, I get a bunch of these.

25/02/2012 09:08:33.423: Did not find .\packs\intruders/C:\Users\Admin\Music\The
 Last Remnant\125 Sword Sparks.mp3, ignoring.
That times about 40 for every custom file I tried to plug in there.  The actual line for that one is
<soundFile fileName="C:\Users\Admin\Music\The Last Remnant\125 Sword Sparks.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />

Is soundsense incapable of looking outside those folders or am I just making some stupid mistake....again?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:10 am »

Just ran into something others might appreciate: You might do well to set "concurency" or even "haltOnMatch" parameters for drop sounds in battle. I just killed a vampire wearing several hundred trophies, and Soundsense took more than 5 minutes to play clink sounds for every single one of 'em.

Easy fix, really; just thought others should know. Also, thanks for making such an awesome program!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

Ok so here's that error message I've been getting:

"Exception with .\packs\seasons/summer/Expeditionary.mp3: java.io.IOexception: Resetting to invalid mark: Resetting to invalid mark"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 105