Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571775 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:57 am »

Just a thought.

If you could find a "ambient background conversations" track for the market, that would be amazing. It seems there's only one song set for the marketplace, and maybe it's just the fact it restarts constantly....but it doesn't seem to fit.

Anyone played the Secret of Evermore? There's a level in it where you run around an open air market. The air is filled with the dull hum of conversation, laughter, clinking of metal and coins.....it really feels like a market. Something like that for the DF market track would be fantastic.
The Rollercoaster Tycoon games did something similar. I might have the file buried in my backup drive somewhere.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 19, 2012, 01:31:56 pm »

The dropbox link only opens up my own dropbox. 

Does it work when you put it in the public folder and get the public link?  That's what yer supposed to use for general filesharing to anonymous users without having to share your dropbox details.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mattias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 19, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »

For those on linux, I've fixed the spelling error in the soundSense.sh file and somehow, the entire file seems to have some hidden characters that caused it to not execute. I rewrote it and saved it as a new file, the spelling error was /urs/bin/aoss which should be /usr/bin/aoss
Here is the code:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

dir=${0%/*}
if [ -d "$dir" ]; then
cd "$dir"
fi

CLASSPATH="soundSense.jar:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.4.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspil.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/autoUpdater.jar:lib/commons-codec-1.4/commons-codec-1.4.jar"

if [ -e /usr/bin/aoss/ ]; then
aoss java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
else
java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
fi

Make sure you delete the old soundSense.sh, create a new file with the same name and paste in the code there. And then you:
chmod +x soundSense.sh then execute it;
./soundSense.sh

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #618 on: February 20, 2012, 05:17:01 am »

The dropbox link only opens up my own dropbox. 

Does it work when you put it in the public folder and get the public link?  That's what yer supposed to use for general filesharing to anonymous users without having to share your dropbox details.

I tired it, but it is kinda not that great:

I can share links for single files, for examle: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61214232/df/pack/deaths/founddeaths.xml or http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61214232/df/pack/deaths/founddead/128554__herbertboland__pianomoodsad1.mp3

Sharing folder requires same thing as before - inviting people one by one. But link to single file is exactly what I need - all i needed was generating autoUpdate.xml and putting it online. So, if you want latest version of soundpack, edit your configuration.xml and replace line:

<autoUpdateURL path="http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack"/>
With:

<autoUpdateURL path="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61214232/df/pack"/>
And run update. Fry dropbox instead of zwei :-) It is a bit crappier that pure dropbox itself, but it can work just fine.

ItinerantWraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:17 am »

I just started using Soundsense today, and I just wanted to say that this is probably my favorite DF utility ever.
Keep up the amazing work.  :D

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »

Another new Soundsense user here.

And it is awesome ! I'm not having much action right now, so I can't judge the battle music (which is bound to be more awesome than the idle music), but it is really good quality.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 21, 2012, 04:26:25 pm »

Unfortunately the Dropbox links are "generating too much traffic" and temporarily disabled. Is there any other place to get an up-to-date soundpack?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #622 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:51 am »

Unfortunately the Dropbox links are "generating too much traffic" and temporarily disabled. Is there any other place to get an up-to-date soundpack?

Yeah, I got angry email from dropbox, it will be disabled for three days (and i disabled my update site hosted on it as well) - so this method of distribution is out of question, but i shall research it a bit more becuase it is quite comfortable way of sharing stuff.

In meantime, my own server seems to be holding up just fine, so i uploaded new pack on it.

This is, once again, current URL for automated update:

<autoUpdateURL path="http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack"/>

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »

Just wanted to say that soundsense is absolutely fundamental for a good experience while playing Adventure mode (I still play fortress mode with Toady's hypnotic music though). Thank you!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:21 pm »

Hm... is the game supposed to generate something for sieges (other than the Evil force of darkness full-screen message) ? Nothing appeared in the game log, so the cheery spring music continued during the whole siege, which was kind of awkward.

Also, I guess a lot of people asked this already, but have you considered using memory hacking (maybe using DFHack, if it still exist) to detect some non-logged events ? The current season when loading a game comes to mind, but I guess there's a lot of other possibilities.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 22, 2012, 06:04:46 pm »

Yeah i searched for any kind of battle music but nope, too bad. Still awesome though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 22, 2012, 06:48:35 pm »

I see to be getting several I/O errors in the SS log. I didn't think to copy paste them last night, but basically it's "Java I/O error, resetting to last invalid mark." Or something. I thought it was some of my custom music entires in the .xmls....so I updated. Still occasionally getting them, but not as often as before. (I finally noticed there was a problem when I realized I'd been listening to the same track in Dwarf Mode for over 30 minutes.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:08 pm »

From what I understand there is no battle music for seiges because

A) The actual "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" does NOT get sent to the gamelog by DF.  Soundsense never sees it.

And B) There is no gamelog indication of the END of a siege.  So soundsense also dosn't know when to end the music.

I've thrown together a few battle musics from old retro games that trigger on an ambush that I can manually trigger on with the force of darkness message that turns off when the next season message comes up.  Seems to work pretty well consitering the limitations.
<sound logPattern="An ambush!  Curse them!" loop="start" channel="music" haltOnMatch="false">
<soundFile fileName="caveattack.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="opposites.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="swordsparks.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="caveattack.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="FFMQ Boss Guitar.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="FFMQ Battle.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="FF5 Gilgamesh.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Prelude of Battle.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Cave_Story_Polar_Star_Overdrive_OC_ReMix.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="304 Dance of Death.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Final_Fantasy_6_Desertion_OC_ReMix.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Final_Fantasy_7_Full_Frontal_Assault_OC_ReMix.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Final_Fantasy_8_SeeD_Mission_OC_ReMix.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Lufia_2_Last_Chance_OC_ReMix.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />
<soundFile fileName="Final Fantasy IX OST - Hunter's Chance.mp3" volumeAdjustment="-10" />

</sound>

You can just replace your ambush trigger with that in invaders.xml and change out my music for yours, there you go, semi-functional battle music.

Internet cookie for whoever identifies where swordsparks and opposites is from.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:28:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 23, 2012, 02:12:01 am »

Hi. I just got the new LNP for the newest version of DF, but I can't get the updater to give me the sound files for Soundsense. It gives a weird java FileNotFoundException error when I hit the 'autoupdate' button.

My old soundsense from the last LNP seems to work, though maybe that's just because that one already has its files? Idk.

I can't play without Soundsense, I've come to rely on the audio cues, and it's not the same without it.

Help?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 105