Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571929 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #435 on: May 20, 2011, 11:44:00 am »

if i try to open soundsense.sh the Terminal gives me back a "bad interpreter, no such file or directory" error...
That's because he likely used a non-linux text editor and the format is off on that script. I retyped it, word for word, in gedit, and now it doesn't give me that. Unfortunately it does do this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What now? D=
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:55:02 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »

I attempted to use a startup script that you'd posted a while earlier in this thread in order to get SS to work on Ubuntu, and it seems a bit broken for me. Whenever I start it, it gives me these errors:

I'm on Linux Mint, which is a derivative of Ubuntu, so I doubt my distro alone is causing the problem. Something with Java, perhaps? Or is that year-old script not updated for the latest version?

I get a very similar error on Xubuntu 11.04.  I love Soundsense - I run it on my Windows partition - but I'd really like to run it on the 'buntu. :)  Also, I'd like to thank the person who decided to use 'coughing' sounds for the vomiting events ... I wouldn't be able to listen to realistic sounds in that category.  :o
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

I attempted to use a startup script that you'd posted a while earlier in this thread in order to get SS to work on Ubuntu, and it seems a bit broken for me. Whenever I start it, it gives me these errors:

I'm on Linux Mint, which is a derivative of Ubuntu, so I doubt my distro alone is causing the problem. Something with Java, perhaps? Or is that year-old script not updated for the latest version?

I get a very similar error on Xubuntu 11.04.  I love Soundsense - I run it on my Windows partition - but I'd really like to run it on the 'buntu. :)  Also, I'd like to thank the person who decided to use 'coughing' sounds for the vomiting events ... I wouldn't be able to listen to realistic sounds in that category.  :o

I've retyped the soundSense.sh script and it runs and launches the app now.  However, I get a series of java errors on attempting to update the soundpacks within Soundsense:

I tried dowloading the pack from the website directly with both Chrome and Lynx, and after two attempts with each browser I wound up with an unusable .zip which is smaller than it ought to be.  I'm guessing the connection to the site is being broken before the download is complete.

Additionally, Soundsense won't play any of the sample files, which play fine in VLC, but throw a java error:

Update: I grabbed the files from the install that runs properly on my Windows partition and pasted it in.  Soundsense thinks it's playing files, but I'm still getting unsupported audio file errors:

Any ideas?
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »

I'm guessing that soundsense itself is messed up if so many different methods give the same error. Probably have to wait for its creator to address that.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:44 pm »

Whenever I start it, it gives me these errors:

I'm guessing that soundsense itself is messed up if so many different methods give the same error. Probably have to wait for its creator to address that.

I noticed some things in the error codes given by DrKillPatient:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IProgressCallback
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)

Notice how the errors occur in the "autoupdater" subdirectory? And notice that some of the exceptions involve "URLClassLoader"? Would that be a class to fetch a "URL"? I would hazard to guess that the entire problem might be the new autoupdater feature.

As I recall, older versions of SoundSense worked fine with Linux. Maybe for some reason the autoupdate code is not compatible with Linux?

I'm just wondering if a quick fix would be to use an older version, before the automatic update feature was added, and then just download and install the SoundPack.zip file manually?

FYI: The last version of SoundSense before automatic update functionality was added was Release 25 Build 117, which can be found on the Official SoundSense Homepage. Here's the download link: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_25_117.zip

If my hunch is right and this is the problem, then hopefully zwei can find a way to make the autoupdater cross-platform compatible. If not, then perhaps he can offer a separate version without autoupdater for non-Windows players (and for those who just don't like the autoupdater).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:18:49 pm by Thundercraft »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #440 on: May 23, 2011, 06:55:53 am »

Okay, this should help:

replace CLASSPATH=... line with:

Code: [Select]
CLASSPATH='soundSense.jar:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.4.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspi1.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/autoUpdater.jar:lib/commons-codec-1.4/commons-codec-1.4.jar'
basically, this should do the trick: http://pastebin.com/LAcD3jNk

I forgot to add commons-codec-1.4.jar which is needed for autoupdater to scan local directory.

As for actually playing sounds, uh-oh, no idea here, it looks like it is missing other libraries - stuff that is in MP3SPI and OGGSPI directory.

Beware, I have no access to linux now.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:14 am »

Hi

I have added mp3 (as files) and as entries in the xml for seasonal songs ... but only the initial ones are still played, any idea?

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 23, 2011, 11:06:15 am »

This is booping amazing!!! 0_o
This day going to be perfect!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

This is booping amazing!!! 0_o

Indeed it is, I always scoffed a little inside when folks talked about DF being unplayable without a particular utility like therapist or runesmith or what have you.  Sure they are great useful utilities but hardly neccesary.  I've been playing 4 years with nothing but the default ascii, and standard UI and you never saw me complain! *Waves walking stick menacingly*

Soundsence however....  I don't know how I ever played without it.  It gives sound to warn of important events that aren't quite important enough to pause for, but still important enough to want to know about it before the announcement log gets through it's backlog.  Like an animal being butchered, kittens being born, or the crossbow squad patrolling the walls taking potshots at buzzards.  That kinda thing. 

And with a little wrangling you can even customize it.  Mine in particular starts playing old rpg battle music when an ambush or a megabeast shows up, and then just uses the season change to turn it off more or less consistently.( ambushes always happen the last month of each season after all, and usually only last a month unless yer walling yourself in) And in adventure mode plays a playlist of songs throughout.

The only way I can imagine this being improved would be an optional DFHack plugin.  Allowing soundsence to read some game flags for more precise control.  While still keeping normal functionality for folks who don't wish to use DFHack, or right after an update before the values are up to date.   But the program is already great.

@Vorpal I've had something like that happen before too, but I couldn't quite figure out why it happened.  When it happened to me I just reverted and then redid my modifications to the xml again and it ended up working, with me having no idea why.  Maybe zwei has better insight. (he is awesome after all.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:57:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:10 am »

there is a caching system perhaps for xml?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:23 am »

So anyone got a way to tag on a playlist to the Adventurer Soundpack?  the sounds are fun but I wouldn't mind some music too. nevermind I ended up getting the official sounpack anyways
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:34:11 am by Kaelem Gaen »

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 25, 2011, 07:07:27 am »

that song that plays at world gen, you MUST make it play during normal gameplay aswell

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #447 on: May 27, 2011, 08:27:09 am »

The only way I can imagine this being improved would be an optional DFHack plugin.  Allowing soundsence to read some game flags for more precise control.  While still keeping normal functionality for folks who don't wish to use DFHack, or right after an update before the values are up to date.   But the program is already great.

I thought about DFhack plugin, It is not hard to do. What SS currently needs is better insight to what is happening onscreen and ofscreen which might or might not be possible with DFHack, and which is something that official game would benefit from most.

Ideally, we should be able to learn positional data, i.e.:

[20,15,40,34366] Urist Mc Cook has Created Masterpiece.
[x,y,z,time]

Then, we could take advantage of the 5.1 sound systems (well, left-right stereo in the begining) and filter out unimportant sounds from offcsreen sources.

@Vorpal I've had something like that happen before too, but I couldn't quite figure out why it happened.  When it happened to me I just reverted and then redid my modifications to the xml again and it ended up working, with me having no idea why.

It could be typo - but ss should complain if it can not find file. You might want to post part of XML you changed.

Also, remember that you need to restart SS for changes to take effect.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 27, 2011, 10:16:56 am »

that song that plays at world gen, you MUST make it play during normal gameplay aswell

Please....please no.

That song is the only thing I've wanted to rip out of SS since I got it. I don't care if it's Queen or dorfy, it's just ghastly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 27, 2011, 12:35:50 pm »

I want to cry, it is good music.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 105