Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 572008 times)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #360 on: February 03, 2011, 01:20:45 pm »

I think what Rainseeker's getting at, Zwei, is having a "background chatter" sound looping during certain ongoing events.  So what you hear isn't "The Dwarves are having a party" every three seconds, but rather a bunch of muffled chattering and laughter and music and clinking of mugs and banging of fists looped through itself for the party's duration.  This would be in addition to the existing announcement in the log (and, perhaps, the existing announcement in Soundsense).  The loops would not be part of the log, but rather would simply start when the log mentioned a party beginning, and end when the log mentioned it ending.

This concept, when taken to the other sounds listed in the category (waterfall, invasion, tantrum, running water) can do a great deal for immersion.  It's not a matter of making announcements based on the log; it's a matter of setting up ambiance.

And unholy Armok, ambiance would be awesome.  Looping active workshop noises would make your industrial sector really, um... loud, though.  And cluttered, sound-wise.  But it would still be cool to roll your view over it and hear the scrape of tools on wood, the tink-tink-CLANG of a blacksmith hammer-and-anvil, the hiss of hot metal dipped in water, and the steady sawing of a carpenter's workshop?  All far in the background, of course, because such constant noises shouldn't be foreground.  They'd blot out the important stuff.  Ambiance is important, yes, but it requires proper volume differentiation.  With the volume properly scaled back, and good sounds chosen, you could even make a loop for mining that wouldn't be annoying.  Mining would be a hard one, though.

Um... I got off-topic there.  Zwei does have a point.  If we have a continuous loop of, say, "Dwarf working as a mason," then it would go like this:
- Dwarf starts making rock blocks.
- Masonry sound fades in.
- Dwarf finishes a rock block.
- Masonry sound fades out.

Right?  Now imagine that it's a Legendary+5 Mason making those rock blocks in an uncluttered workshop.   Now your sound is fading in even while it's fading out and things get really messy.  Zwei may be right that a "Starting Work" sound is better than an "At Work" sound, at least when your dwarves are working at high speed.

Unless... the sounds couldn't overlap themselves, so no matter how many different mason workshops are running, for instance, you only hear the sound once.  I can see how this would get difficult on a technical level.  Suddenly instead of tracking a single event, it has to think "Are any events like this going on right now?"  Which makes it an active check for something rather than simply reacting to a log file.  At best, I could see the sound fading out only if a certain amount of time has passed since the last work started in a workshop.

But then, I don't really know that much.  I'm just a forum-goer with an opinion and a rusty, bare-bones knowledge of VBASIC (and a VERY rusty, bare-bones knowledge of other, older computer languages).
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 03, 2011, 02:18:57 pm »

I've been talking to Tarn about SoundSense.  I don't have a great grasp on how the logs are used, so forgive me if anything is technically infeasible, but we talked about:

- Creating some new dwarven social events (unseen by most players' settings)

- Creating non-displayed, self-deleting "looping logs" for events until they finish ...like for a party, invasion, or performing musical instruments

- Having a "distance from middle of the screen" output to all log events that could allow us to adjust volume and gain the illusion of three-dimensional space, but probably only use them on a z-axis, and only for non-important events.  Totally discretionary!

More Specifically, these are some of my suggestions, and would like input here as well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How does that stuff strike you guys?  I'm not sure if any of these have been suggested before.

Wow. That stuff strikes me as pretty dang awesome. It's currently really hard to pay attention to a lot of those "social log" events, and so we don't really get to see the magic until after the fact. When we suddenly notice two dwarves have grudges. Or when a marriage happens. (etc) This is awesome. Moar Magic.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #362 on: February 04, 2011, 05:57:16 am »

I think what Rainseeker's getting at, Zwei, is having a "background chatter" sound looping during certain ongoing events.  So what you hear isn't "The Dwarves are having a party" every three seconds, but rather a bunch of muffled chattering and laughter and music and clinking of mugs and banging of fists looped through itself for the party's duration.  This would be in addition to the existing announcement in the log (and, perhaps, the existing announcement in Soundsense).  The loops would not be part of the log, but rather would simply start when the log mentioned a party beginning, and end when the log mentioned it ending.

This concept, when taken to the other sounds listed in the category (waterfall, invasion, tantrum, running water) can do a great deal for immersion.  It's not a matter of making announcements based on the log; it's a matter of setting up ambiance.

I got that, basically, what we have with weather, but more types of stuff., i was just confused about what logs would look like. With start/end, it is okay.

I would love ambiance, of course, but there are some small details: Small rewrite of volume handling to take into account position (so waterfall channel gets quiet/muted when you zoom somewhere else. It would help with weather as you can currently hear rainstorm while in caverns. That is one hell of a rain).

Non overlaping sounds are fine; we have that in already - just define sound on channel="workshops" and it will not overlap (because all sounds will be played throught it rather than spawning new one), we can have as many types of those as we want, so it is going to be resolved neatly.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 04, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »

If you're looking for voice actors, i've got a bit of experience in Drunken Dwarven.

Also just Drunkenness in general.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 07, 2011, 09:05:17 am »

Do we really need the metal music?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #365 on: February 07, 2011, 10:25:58 am »

If you're looking for voice actors, i've got a bit of experience in Drunken Dwarven.

Also just Drunkenness in general.

You mean: ordinary dwarven :-), right?

Do we really need the metal music?

Well, you can change it to some other music / remove it quite easily... just delete apropriate mp3s...

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:50 pm »

i wanted to use the sound pack, but listen to my own music, how do i disable the music but keep the other sound effects?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 09, 2011, 08:48:23 pm »

Read one post above you. Delete the MP3s you do not want, it will not ruin the mod. The music is in the "Seasons" folder. Most of it, anyway, save from the startup song, which I think is in the system folder.

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »

thanks ill try that

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #369 on: February 11, 2011, 03:20:50 pm »

New release:

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_25_117.zip

Added mute button to channels. (that means you can mute music without deleting mp3s, wooooo...)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:24 am »

Great utulity! At least I think it is, I'm downloading right now.
I have one problem though: Why does Chrome keeps bothering me about the page being written in Czech? :P

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:32 am »

Because the link ends in .cz. ;)
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »

Yeah, chrome tries to make you beware of shady czech sites. Worse than shady russian sites, i heard...

Anyhow, added info to magmawiki utilities list, don't be shy to make wiki magic happen :)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »

Bah, everyone knows Czechoslovakia isn't a real country!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #374 on: February 13, 2011, 02:25:56 am »

It's just like that fake "Transylvania" everyone talks about!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 105