Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 572037 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »

My least favourite soundbite is definitely the whole fall/stand nonsense. It works for adventure mode, but in fort mode when your dwarves are tripping all over each other on the way to the depot or something, it is SO annoying.

The fall over sound could be a bit annoying on repeat, I suppose (even though it's randomly chosen from 4 sounds). I see that "The (.+) falls over\." has concurency="4" and timeout="500" and "The (.+) stands up\." has concurency="2" and timeout="500". I'd say that increasing the timeout to at least 2900 would help significantly. Further, "73583__J.mp3" (one of the falls over) and all 5 of the "HeavySkirtMovement" (stand up) seem unusually loud to me. Perhaps they could benefit from volumeAdjustment="-10" or similar?

As for the cancellation and interruption sounds, they still seems to be the most complained about. Users still delete them. But, I support zwei's decision that cancelation sounds are too useful and important to delete from SoundSense entirely.

I think the main problem is that in complaints users do not usually specify which interruption or job cancellation messages are causing them the most headaches. There are no less than 9 (nine) different triggers for this type of event that currently play sound, with 'skeletons' in place to add much, much more in the future. This is compounded by the fact that several of these use the same sound effects, which means users probably confuse them and lump the different types together for the same blame.

I did notice that several of these have attributes which should prevent them from spamming too much, including:
 * "The (.+) suspended the construction of (.+)\." concurency="2" timeout="2900"
 * "(.+) cancels (.+): Need(s?) (.+)\." concurency="5" timeout="2900"
 * "(.+) cancels (.+): Interrupted by (.+)\." concurency="2" timeout="5000"

Those all have long timeout delays and the "Interrupted by" sounds also have volumeAdjustment="-20" to reduce volume by 20 decibels. But, as zwei suggested, they might need some more "tuning".

Still... the "Interrupted by" event randomly chooses from four very mild sounds played at very low (almost imperceptible) volume. They are literally like a thumb tack dropping. I'm not sure how that trigger could be made any less intrusive or annoying (aside from deletion).

Question is: Which interruption/cancellation trigger(s) do users find the most annoying?

The sleep message is actually a cancel task message, it starts out like all of them, but gives the reason: Unconscious. All the old timers are susceptible because no shoes + puddles of frikkin' ithillid toxin = ZZZZZ.

ithillids... that must be from the Genesis mod.

Q: Has SoundSense been tested much with mods? Are there any known issues with popular mods (aside from lacking sounds for certain events)?

EDIT:
On pondering this further, I have a theory:

I think it's safe to assume many SoundSense users play DF with mods. And I suspect a significant portion play with "major" mods like Genesis. However, while I do see a lot of feedback on this thread, it is very rare for the feedback to mention which mod(s) [if any] they are using (even when it is somewhat obvious that they are using them).

Could it be that some issues that are reported are specific to the use of certain mods?
I'm wondering if part of the continuation in complaints about cancels/interruption sounds might be due to the unique behavior of certain mods...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:23:40 pm by Thundercraft »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:32 am »

My least favourite soundbite is definitely the whole fall/stand nonsense. It works for adventure mode, but in fort mode when your dwarves are tripping all over each other on the way to the depot or something, it is SO annoying.

The fall over sound could be a bit annoying on repeat, I suppose (even though it's randomly chosen from 4 sounds). I see that "The (.+) falls over\." has concurency="4" and timeout="500" and "The (.+) stands up\." has concurency="2" and timeout="500". I'd say that increasing the timeout to at least 2900 would help significantly. Further, "73583__J.mp3" (one of the falls over) and all 5 of the "HeavySkirtMovement" (stand up) seem unusually loud to me. Perhaps they could benefit from volumeAdjustment="-10" or similar?

The timeout's probably the biggest thing. It seemed I was getting a lot of this just from having a cramped fort. It felt like the nonstop rustling louder than the fight noises, though that may just be the subjective feeling towards the repetetiveness of it. Honestly, in fort mode, I'll probably keep taking this bit out no matter what. It doesn't alert me to anything I want to change or know about.

As for the cancellation and interruption sounds, they still seems to be the most complained about. Users still delete them. But, I support zwei's decision that cancelation sounds are too useful and important to delete from SoundSense entirely.

I quite agree. I did not remove the cancellation sounds. They are incredibly useful, the trouble is that once they've started they happen constantly, and I don't know how to make that less difficult to listen to. Except "Drop Metal Thing". It's a great pindrop noise, perfect.

Still... the "Interrupted by" event randomly chooses from four very mild sounds played at very low (almost imperceptible) volume. They are literally like a thumb tack dropping. I'm not sure how that trigger could be made any less intrusive or annoying (aside from deletion).

Question is: Which interruption/cancellation trigger(s) do users find the most annoying?
I actually quite appreciate the pindrop noise ("Drop Metal Thing").

The metallic clank and crashing ones (the schluppiepuppie ones) sound enough like "fight noises" to perk my ears up even when I know they're coming and want to ignore them, so they head my irritating list. I didn't already mention a specific one, however, because the ones from the "not possible" list (while very amusing) are also much longer, so I end up wishing I didn't get them as nonstop. It has altered my playstyle somewhat - megaprojects are discouraged. The suggestion of lengthening the time before repeat might be useful.

The sleep message is actually a cancel task message, it starts out like all of them, but gives the reason: Unconscious. All the old timers are susceptible because no shoes + puddles of frikkin' ithillid toxin = ZZZZZ.

ithillids... that must be from the Genesis mod.

Q: Has SoundSense been tested much with mods? Are there any known issues with popular mods (aside from lacking sounds for certain events)?

EDIT:
On pondering this further, I have a theory:

I think it's safe to assume many SoundSense users play DF with mods. And I suspect a significant portion play with "major" mods like Genesis. However, while I do see a lot of feedback on this thread, it is very rare for the feedback to mention which mod(s) [if any] they are using (even when it is somewhat obvious that they are using them).

Could it be that some issues that are reported are specific to the use of certain mods?
I'm wondering if part of the continuation in complaints about cancels/interruption sounds might be due to the unique behavior of certain mods...

Yep. Genesis. Other than the bits I've listed, there is no trouble with the Genesis Mod. You are right, it may be that the constant sieges and expanded work schedules are what's behind my increased cancel spam. The Ithillid toxin may cause the collapses, but so do FB toxins and good old-fashioned passing out due to pain, so I still think that noticing "unconscious" messages is a valid (and amusing) thing to have for Vanilla.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 24, 2011, 02:18:04 pm »

I actually quite appreciate the pindrop noise ("Drop Metal Thing").
The metallic clank and crashing ones (the schluppiepuppie ones) sound enough like "fight noises" to perk my ears up even when I know they're coming and want to ignore them, so they head my irritating list. I didn't already mention a specific one, however, because the ones from the "not possible" list (while very amusing) are also much longer, so I end up wishing I didn't get them as nonstop.

That is interesting and good to know.
However, I think you misunderstood me. I was asking which interruption/cancellation trigger(s) users find the most annoying. That is, I'm thinking that, out of the 10 different interruption/cancellation events (sorry, I miscounted 9 last time), knowing which production event is the biggest annoyance might help zwei decide how to fine tune the sounds.

Here's a list of these 10 production events:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #348 on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:28 pm »

"(.+) cancels (.+): Interrupted by (.+)\."
"(.+) cancels (.+): Need(s?) (.+)\."
"(.+) cancels Construct Building: Item blocking site\."
"(.+) cancels Construct Building: Cannot reach site\."
"(.+) cancels Construct Building: Building site submerged\."
"(.+) cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site\."
"The (.+) were unable to complete the (.+)\."
"The (.+) suspended the construction of (.+)\."
"(.+) cancels Store Item in Barrel: Drop-off inaccessible."
"(.+) cancels (.+): Could not find path\."

This is actually something I can help with.  Initially I had created a bunch of different ways to say "No" for dwarves.  Would it help if I created more specific sounds?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 24, 2011, 11:20:19 pm »

This is actually something I can help with.  Initially I had created a bunch of different ways to say "No" for dwarves.  Would it help if I created more specific sounds?

Even if distinctive "no"s were reserved for specific triggers, then things would be much improved. I honestly don't know for sure which one is causing me the annoyance, though I can guess...
Spoiler: excerpt from log (click to show/hide)

I guess there are two separate issues with the cancel task noises, and the 'generic' (as in uniformly applied, not boring or uninteresting) sounds confuse the issue a bit.

If something's inaccessible, I'd very much like that to be a distinctive noise, because it is usually a big problem with something I've done. If something's now outside the "It's A Siege!" warren, I'd also like to know that specifically.
If something's being canceled due to running out of the proper plant type until the next harvest... I could simply do with not hearing about it 50 times in a season.

That second one is as much a problem with the DF interface as anything. More Workshop auto-initiate orders would fix this one.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lemi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2011, 10:26:25 am »

Just thought I'd say that after a while of using this tool, it's almost impossible for me to play without it. The music is great, the voices are great, and the battle sounds make it very easy for me to notice hordes of fun have breached my fort. I only wish the slaughter sounds and the death sounds were different so I don't have to flail about each time I hear the scream wondering how an FB got in. Other then that - amazing.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2011, 04:53:53 pm »

I've created a second pack of voice clips. In my opinion, far superior to the first ones I submitted. The microphone I'm now using is of much higher quality, so that certainly helps. Included in the file is a transcript that should match what I recorded word for word, save for a few deviations.

Download.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #352 on: January 28, 2011, 06:24:20 pm »

Okay, this is what I've done recently.  Sorry it's taken so long for a new update!

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »

New soundpack version with more Rainseeker is up, and latest version of app now contains awesome readme by Thundercraft as well as some tiny updates

Thanks, great stuff as usual! "Don't tell the elves, but all fish are gone..." :)

Download.

That is definitelly much better. Good job!

Not sure. More specific messages sound like getting a bit annoying/cluttering when spam happens.

No this note, I have toned it a bit down as well as toning down fall sounds.

Sleep-causing syndrome is tough one. cancels-unconscious message also relates being ko-ed...

Rex_Nex: Thanks a lot for log, it actually contained new stuff like "cancels Load Ballista: No ammunition" stuff I never got before because i do not make ballistas...

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:28 am »

I see the project is progressing every day, awesome...I first discovered (and used) it when this topic was at about page 10, so I'd imagine it has improved much since then :)
It adds so much to the actual game, for me it's as important as mayday's graphic set..congratz and keep up the good work :)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »

I see the project is progressing every day, awesome...I first discovered (and used) it when this topic was at about page 10, so I'd imagine it has improved much since then :)
It adds so much to the actual game, for me it's as important as mayday's graphic set..congratz and keep up the good work :)

Thank you for your kind words!  They help us keep motivated!!!  :D

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2011, 08:26:04 pm »

I've been talking to Tarn about SoundSense.  I don't have a great grasp on how the logs are used, so forgive me if anything is technically infeasible, but we talked about:

- Creating some new dwarven social events (unseen by most players' settings)

- Creating non-displayed, self-deleting "looping logs" for events until they finish ...like for a party, invasion, or performing musical instruments

- Having a "distance from middle of the screen" output to all log events that could allow us to adjust volume and gain the illusion of three-dimensional space, but probably only use them on a z-axis, and only for non-important events.  Totally discretionary!

More Specifically, these are some of my suggestions, and would like input here as well:

How does that stuff strike you guys?  I'm not sure if any of these have been suggested before.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2011, 09:28:44 pm »

Whoa. That is simply incredible. Now you can actually hear your dwarves partying. I think I'm going to love this.
Also, Wilhelm screams every time a dwarf dies, anyone?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:19 pm »

this thing is huge
LOSING IS FUN!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2011, 07:34:44 am »

I've been talking to Tarn about SoundSense.  I don't have a great grasp on how the logs are used, so forgive me if anything is technically infeasible, but we talked about:

- Creating some new dwarven social events (unseen by most players' settings)

- Creating non-displayed, self-deleting "looping logs" for events until they finish ...like for a party, invasion, or performing musical instruments

- Having a "distance from middle of the screen" output to all log events that could allow us to adjust volume and gain the illusion of three-dimensional space, but probably only use them on a z-axis, and only for non-important events.  Totally discretionary!

More Specifically, these are some of my suggestions, and would like input here as well:

How does that stuff strike you guys?  I'm not sure if any of these have been suggested before.

I made thread with suggestions similar to theese: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64834.msg1520083#msg1520083

As for feasibility of ideas: Rather than logging distance, it would be better to log coordinates, for example:

[14,16,0,23432] Urcist Mc Dwarf did something interesting.

With [x,y,z,dorftime] as prefix. This would allow interesting things with postprocesing for other tools (say, tool to annonate exported map with interesting events...)

DF could then log "viewpoint changes" to separate ("debug", but error log would do just fine too) file so we could be informed about player view and do our own distance calculations.

---

Self deleting logs ... do you mean something like "Party is still going on" repeated every few seconds?

That would complicate things a bit. We can ignore states for some events (i.e., tantrum going on) and rather log onoging events when game is loaded/ended:

"The party is over."
"Your settlement has crubmled to its end."

For most events, start/end notification would work just fine, having continuous "workshop is active" loop is not that necesary, just short sfx when dwarf starts working sounds good, where we miss out is weather/season.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 105