Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 572068 times)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2010, 04:53:10 am »

I imagine it to be like cicadas, but eviller - lots of bogeymen in the shadows cackling, almost a buzz. Something that wouldn't loop too obviously. Or perhaps its own track of creepy music with cackling thrown in intermittently?

Just tossing around ideas, of course. It probably would be pretty obnoxious unless the perfect sound was found for it. X)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

rampaging-poet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2010, 01:35:11 pm »

One way to ensure the music/cackle/whatever will stop would be to allow the user to manually stop sounds.  Doing so would also allow looping siege music that could be stopped without exiting SoundSense.

Manually playing sounds would be useful as well because it would let the user start up any loops that had been playing when Dwarf Fortress was closed if they wanted to.
Lame excuse? 'Having a drink instead' is the dwarfiest reason to not get something done, short of accidentally flooding your home with magma. Or intentionally flooding your home with magma.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 01, 2010, 07:48:00 pm »

All that aside, I forgot to give props to the awesome creepy cackles we get now.
Made me jump, the first time.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:31 am »

I imagine it to be like cicadas, but eviller - lots of bogeymen in the shadows cackling, almost a buzz. Something that wouldn't loop too obviously. Or perhaps its own track of creepy music with cackling thrown in intermittently?

Just tossing around ideas, of course. It probably would be pretty obnoxious unless the perfect sound was found for it. X)

I've been trying to replicate just such a sound using Adobe Audition and a free Cicada sound effect as a base. It's actually quite hard to come up with anything that won't eventually drive people insane with annoyance. The sound IS described as an incessant cackling, so maybe that's the point...

Third attempt : http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/IncessantCackleLoop.ogg
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:28:53 am by mikefictiti0us »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2010, 09:11:15 am »

Well, if i add manual disabling I guess we could be a bit braver about what is added.

Thou I am not really fond of requiring user to do anything beyond starting tool, it has its uses (weather loop can get similary stuck for example).

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:53 am »

I've been trying to replicate just such a sound using Adobe Audition and a free Cicada sound effect as a base. It's actually quite hard to come up with anything that won't eventually drive people insane with annoyance. The sound IS described as an incessant cackling, so maybe that's the point...

Third attempt : http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/IncessantCackleLoop.ogg

I might go a bit lower and slower, it sounds just a bit too much like bugs maybe.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2010, 10:17:06 am »

I might go a bit lower and slower, it sounds just a bit too much like bugs maybe.

Good call on lowering the pitch and tempo, it does indeed sound more menacing and less bug-like.

Try these :

http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/IncessantCackleLoop2.ogg
http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/IncessantCackleLoop3.ogg (Heavy chorus effect, I think it sounds better.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:20:14 am by mikefictiti0us »

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

Good call on lowering the pitch and tempo, it does indeed sound more menacing and less bug-like.

Try these :

http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/IncessantCackleLoop2.ogg
http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/IncessantCackleLoop3.ogg (Heavy chorus effect, I think it sounds better.)

Yeah, better. I think either of them could work.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2010, 05:03:22 pm »

Ooh, that's coming along. Certainly sounds a lot more menacing in the most recent version.

The only thing I can think of for improvement is to layer on a more obvious cackle in a couple places, as if the whole landscape is full of the sound of innumerable bogeymen, and then one not twenty feet from you chuckles. That way the ambient noise will read more as being a bunch of cackling, since we've heard a closer individual "voice."

I suppose the trick is finding/making a cackle that doesn't stand out *too* much from the overall hum.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #279 on: December 03, 2010, 02:35:28 am »

Remeber that is does not have to be one loop, you can also have several short (~10 seccond) segments that ss will chain randomly (and you can even define rarer and more stand-off ish ones that only play very infrequently).

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 03, 2010, 02:37:37 am »

Ever heard a cat cackling? That would be the sound I would expect. :)

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #281 on: December 03, 2010, 04:06:20 am »

Remeber that is does not have to be one loop, you can also have several short (~10 seccond) segments that ss will chain randomly (and you can even define rarer and more stand-off ish ones that only play very infrequently).

Hadn't thought of that. I purchased a commercial sound library a few years ago, so I might try and put together an alternative soundpack with multiple sample variations for each action and encounter.

Hah, YouTubing "cackling cat" turns up a surprising number of hits. And the sounds that they make, when pitched low, are actually quite freaky.

Chopped, filtered and mixed with background drone.
Source.  :)

So you'd want the drone sound looping for general ambiance and have various other random, louder samples playing intermittently, as suggested by strongrudder. The cat cackles might be a little too distinct when compared to the background noise though. Have to experiment with other animals.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:07:06 am by mikefictiti0us »

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2010, 10:09:00 am »

Hadn't thought of that. I purchased a commercial sound library a few years ago, so I might try and put together an alternative soundpack with multiple sample variations for each action and encounter.

Hah, YouTubing "cackling cat" turns up a surprising number of hits. And the sounds that they make, when pitched low, are actually quite freaky.

Chopped, filtered and mixed with background drone.

So you'd want the drone sound looping for general ambiance and have various other random, louder samples playing intermittently, as suggested by strongrudder. The cat cackles might be a little too distinct when compared to the background noise though. Have to experiment with other animals.

:o Oh crap. I'd be running. Brilliant!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2010, 05:22:51 am »

Release 22: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_22_101.zip

Added stop loop button to channel list, cheers!

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

Ok so when i load soundsense, I get tons of errors within it's log stating that I'm missing all kinds of sounds from there respective folder.

But i got the soundpack too that comes with it.  Am I missing something? or are those missing things just not finished yet.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 105