Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 572051 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2010, 03:48:01 am »

Would it be possible to either:
  • have a default playlist that is used for music when an in-progress fortress is loaded, or
  • scan backwards in gamelog.txt to look for the last season change and default to that?
It seems like either of those would be less awkward than having no music until the next season change.

We use "default playlist" which contains one song from each season and there should be some music when loading game in progress (unless there is a bug)

Scanning gamelog.txt for past events is not really working out well:

1) User might delete it or bring save to a newly unpacked df which has empty gamelog. Meaning we will have no clue at all.

2) There are various weird save/reload scenarios - i.e. save fort during autumn, load another which is set in spring: you end up with autumn soundtrack for spring season.

Also: http://lemill.net/content/pieces/piece.2007-11-18.9680846093
Cool! I think I will add it as easter-egg rare track to all seasonal soundtracks

"you are surrounded by incessant cackling"
Ok, clearly someone needs to add a sound for this. Preferably as creepy as possible.

Oh, new messages!

Interesting - I guess it is adventure mode thing?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2010, 03:50:40 am »

Ok, clearly someone needs to add a sound for this. Preferably as creepy as possible.

Oh, new messages!

It is THE big adventure mode thing. The big open secret that every peasant everywhere warns you about, but that nobody seems to listen to: Don't Go Out At Night!

In Dwarf Fortress, the Bogeymen are real.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

HunterZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2010, 11:44:05 am »

Would it be possible to either:
  • have a default playlist that is used for music when an in-progress fortress is loaded, or
  • scan backwards in gamelog.txt to look for the last season change and default to that?
It seems like either of those would be less awkward than having no music until the next season change.

We use "default playlist" which contains one song from each season and there should be some music when loading game in progress (unless there is a bug)

Scanning gamelog.txt for past events is not really working out well:

1) User might delete it or bring save to a newly unpacked df which has empty gamelog. Meaning we will have no clue at all.

2) There are various weird save/reload scenarios - i.e. save fort during autumn, load another which is set in spring: you end up with autumn soundtrack for spring season.
Hmm, yeah I've definitely noticed it not play something for a long time after loading a game, but I've also noticed it work as you describe. I was wondering if maybe the timing of when I start SoundSense versus either starting DF and/or loading my fort matters.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2010, 09:08:20 am »

Oh, new messages!

It is THE big adventure mode thing. The big open secret that every peasant everywhere warns you about, but that nobody seems to listen to: Don't Go Out At Night!

THis is reasonably creepy: http://www.freesound.org/packsViewSingle.php?id=493&start=0

Guess it is about time to do Adventure Mode pack too :)

Hmm, yeah I've definitely noticed it not play something for a long time after loading a game, but I've also noticed it work as you describe. I was wondering if maybe the timing of when I start SoundSense versus either starting DF and/or loading my fort matters.

Yeah. You want ss to be already running when you load fort, it ignores stuff that happened before it was lauched.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2010, 02:17:31 pm »

What the... how did I just now see this thread? This mod rules. What a fantastic idea!
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »

New version of soundpack released:

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip

Added new rare-ish seasonal tracks and notification sound when building/construction is destroyed by hostile and did some minor cleanups.

EZLocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2010, 12:38:36 am »

Oh, new messages!

THis is reasonably creepy: http://www.freesound.org/packsViewSingle.php?id=493&start=0

Guess it is about time to do Adventure Mode pack too :)

Yeah. You want ss to be already running when you load fort, it ignores stuff that happened before it was lauched.

Scrapes-05 fits well for a midnight bogeyman sight...!

Tryntu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2010, 01:10:37 am »

me and a couple freinds all play/make fun of Unreal Tournament 2004, and we have decided to petition for an Unreal/DF soundpack. 'get the ball!' for hauling, HOT SAUCE for finding magma with one's face, HAT TRICK for snatcher arrival, etc ;P halfway kidding, but it'd be cool. we might work on it, if that's all good by you, Zwei.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:24 am »

"hauling"? Hauling doesn't get logged, that's the first issue, and even if it did, it would get EXTREMELY spammy after some time.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

anallyst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github repos
« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »

interesting project, i had a similar idea: https://github.com/rofl0r/df-peek
it's attaching to the log via tail -f, then beeps on danger/being killed/mood etc. and pauses/unpauses the game when needed.
also it displays the lines not filtered out in color in a realtime text window.
the main purpose is to run the game in background, have a small text window open to stay informed and be alerted when danger is approaching.
how to be first one to get mayday tileset after toady released a new version: https://github.com/rofl0r/df-mayday

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:09 am »

me and a couple freinds all play/make fun of Unreal Tournament 2004, and we have decided to petition for an Unreal/DF soundpack. 'get the ball!' for hauling, HOT SAUCE for finding magma with one's face, HAT TRICK for snatcher arrival, etc ;P halfway kidding, but it'd be cool. we might work on it, if that's all good by you, Zwei.

Go ahead! I am all for alternate soundpacks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »

Posting to watch. I'm greatly impressed by all your guy's work here. I can finally stop relying on a few gigs worth of ripped video game music to set the tone for my games of DF.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2010, 03:26:32 pm »

This would be amazing during adventure mode. I bet I could hear how well my group would be fighting against a megabeast just because of the cries of pain and deep grunts of the megabeast I would hear.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2010, 08:03:18 am »

This would be amazing during adventure mode. I bet I could hear how well my group would be fighting against a megabeast just because of the cries of pain and deep grunts of the megabeast I would hear.

Adventure mode kinda works: battle sounds for enemies are functioning quite well given that they are same as general mesages in fortress mode, but not so well for adventurer himself.

Problem is that adventure mode does not log many other usefull events: for example meeting megabeast or quest mob is resolved in chat, leaving no message in main log.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »

Well I'm coming up with a minor customization issue.  After making some modifications to xmls soundsense has began behaving oddly.

First off, the gui seems to only be detecting the first 4 season entries normally, and then only the spring season for the (has arrived on the calender ones)

Spoiler: seasons.xml (click to show/hide)
All I did was add 4 lines for some last remnant MP3s I had handy in that one.   The mp3s are in the same folder as the .xml.

There was also a modification made earlier to the invaders.xml, however that still seems to work, and worked before the seasons modification.

The relevant part of that appears to be

25/11/2010 05:59:35.582: Loading config ./packs/packs/seasons/seasons.xml
25/11/2010 05:59:35.591: Failed to load seasons.xml: java.lang.NullPointerExcept
ion

I'm afraid I'm a newbie to xml editing so I can't figure out went wrong.  Any thoughts?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 105