Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571377 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #945 on: February 07, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »

Being "abandonware" merely means that it is old stuff and unlikely to cause trouble. ::) Even if it was released as "freeware" they are not giving up their copyrights.

By abandonware I mean the company that created it completely dissolved, finding no buyer for the ip.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 08, 2013, 01:12:08 am »

Is this compatible with Linux?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #947 on: February 08, 2013, 03:46:00 am »

Being "abandonware" merely means that it is old stuff and unlikely to cause trouble. ::) Even if it was released as "freeware" they are not giving up their copyrights.

By abandonware I mean the company that created it completely dissolved, finding no buyer for the ip.

Individual authors can claim ownership of copyright thou, Abandoware is not really workking out as source of content.

If you can hunt down and ask whoever made sfx for that game for permissions, go ahead.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: February 08, 2013, 10:54:53 pm »

Well the music is obviously off-limits, but none of the three names I came up with for sound design in the credits search lead to any email addresses. I do have the remote possibility of contacting some Canadian sound designer listed, which hopefully will lead to clearing of any ambiguity.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #949 on: February 09, 2013, 02:06:28 pm »

Here's something strange that has been happening to me lately, and I think it has something to do with SoundSense and a certain string of announcements. Apparently, if a Kea, or Kobold, or whatever other creature steals a wheelbarrow or minecart that's assigned to a track stop/hauling zone or stockpile, an announcement in the style of:

A Kea has stolen a *oaken wheelbarrow <#8>*!

or

A kea has stolen a ≡chestnut minecart≡!
(Mind you, this was an assigned minecart in a track stop/hauling spot outdoors; and this is usually the trigger for crashing the game.)

results in no sound playing, and DF crashing. I don't know if it has anything to do with a bug in the code or something. I noticed that the game doesn't crash when SoundSense is active. So this was my natural assumption of what has happened. I don't know if the bug was already fixed or not. I'm still using SSense r35 when it happens.

EDIT:
Even updating to the latest r38 version, it's still happening. And only when Soundsense is running, does it happen. And I remembered to update the soundpacks as well. Chances are that there was probably a stone inside the minecart as well or something.

EDIT EDIT:
Gamelog file lines up. It's the minecart, stolen by a kea, that keeps crapping up my game. With Soundsense active, it crashes; without, nothing wrong.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Oh...Kay. I may be wrong, because it still happened except with just DwarfTherapist active now. Maybe it's some sort of read error if anything else is reading the game (Soundsense or Dwarftherapist), because with neither on, it's fine.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Screw it. Now it's just doing it no matter what. Could be a bug in the game itself. I think I avoided it last time by reassigning the minecart before the original went off-map. Seems to make the most sense. Sorry about that.

Here's the save in question, if you want to try and figure it out. It happens within the next 2-5 minutes, when a kea nabs a minecart from the main site.
DF 34.11, mayday graphics, region5 (Mostly LNP V15 stuff-based)
Sorry about the report. This is a stubborn bug in the game itself.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:33:01 pm by Itnetlolor »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 09, 2013, 02:45:48 pm »

Doesn't it play a sound of a kobold taunting you whenever something gets stolen by anything?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #951 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:54 am »

Well, you no longer need to worry about the bug. It was in the game itself, not SoundSense, and I remedied it by taking the trouble items, and burying them in a designated spot I will not mine out (actually, it's a hollow obsidian monolith I crafted using the Liquids plugin in DFHack). Other items of various other qualities have been stolen, and no crash, but the trouble items still crash the game. So the monolith is doing it's job protecting my fortress.

Sorry for bothering you guys. No further problems with SoundSense are to be noted for now. Thanks for the help anyway.

ADDENDUM:
All items sealed within should, logically, remain sealed inside when reclaimed. Especially seeing as there is no access to within it by any other means than mining through it directly. So, hopefully, no crash upon loading up the reclaiming effort.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:15:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »

Alright, I just heard back from the sound designer, he basically says "I dunno." I guess that's a nix for uploading the sound then.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 12, 2013, 06:27:39 pm »

Honestly, I do not believe the sound designer is the guy to ask. Why would he own the rights to material he created under employment of (or sold to) a company?

Even if a game company has truly and completely dissolved - with none of it's licenses, materials, or publication rights sold off to pay off debts - sometimes someone somewhere may still own the rights. If I were you (and still determined), I might try to contact whoever ran that company. Was it a privately owned LLC? Was there a project director?

But then, if it were me I would have assumed it a lost cause from the start. Are the sounds worth it? Otherwise, time might be better spent on finding sounds to fill the many, many gaps still in packSkeletons.zip (see Zwei's SoundSense site). Under "Modding resources" is a long list of CC and public domain sound sources. It's a time consuming process.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:33:59 pm by Thundercraft »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »

I was going on the assumption that, with the company destroyed and no one buying their assets, then control of individual graphic/sound assets passes to the artists. But, the guy himself shrugged on who has permission to give permission, so that's the end of that. I assumed permission denied unless granted. It's just a particularly good death sound. Too bad

As for gaps in the packs, well, I have the tools to make some completely copyright free sounds of my own. I've got an idea for "Horrifying screams echo from the darkness below!"

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 12, 2013, 08:14:43 pm »

How do I make soundsense take dfhack into account? I loaded soundsense, the dfhack console, downloaded the latest soundsense.lua script and when I run the command "soundsense" I get the following error:

unexpected symbol near char(239)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »

I made a sound, where do you want it to check it out?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 13, 2013, 01:49:05 am »

This is really Zwei's project and he's the one to approve sounds. When I submit sounds to consider I either send them via email (his addy found on his homepage) or, as I said earlier, I submit custom sounds to Freesound.org (or to some other sound source site listed under "Modding resources") and post the link to it via a post here or by PM.

Edit: Though, if you upload and post the link here I suppose some of us could listen and give feedback, such as suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:13:23 am by Thundercraft »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:02 am »

sandi Mexicola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 13, 2013, 03:06:31 am »

I got a "Page Not Found" error when i tried to follow the link.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 105