Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571932 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:58 pm »

This program isn't working for me. The application runs fine, auto-gets the soundpack fine, but no sounds play when I use it.

I just extracted it directly into my DF+ folder. The install instructions say it's expecting to be in a sub-folder, but they also say you can just extract it anywhere.

Should I move the stuff into a sub-folder or is this a bigger problem?
Extracting the contents of soundSense_29_137.zip directly into your DF folder is exactly what you're supposed to do. There is a "soundsense" folder inside the .zip, so it should create a "soundsense" sub-directory inside your DF folder.

Anyway, I doubt this is your problem because if SoundSense is unable to find your gamelog.txt, a window will pop up prompting you to browse your hard drive to locate it.

Keep in mind, installing SoundSense correctly is not the only thing you have to do to get it to play game sounds. You also need to either click the "Soundpack update" tab and click the "Start automatic update" button (which may take an hour or more to download the 137+Mb sound files), or you need to download the Soundpack.zip file from the SoundSense homepage.

When you download soundSense_29_137.zip you are only getting the program itself, which is why it is only about 0.5 Mb in size. The sounds and music are downloaded with that update button or separately. And it won't play much music or sound until you do.
« Reply #481 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:51 am »

There was no soundsense folder in the archive I downloaded...

Ok nevermind. I'm just retarded and extracted the files in that subfolder to the DF directory >< Reinstalled it correctly and it works now :D

And yes, I know it doesn't come with the sounds. But that's what the soundpack update tab is for, isn't it? :p
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:27:09 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #482 on: June 14, 2011, 11:01:04 am »

Quick technical question. Does the log output distinguish between types of ranged weapon, and are there any current or future plans to include separate sounds for them? I'd really like to add a sound pack to my current modding project.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
« Reply #483 on: June 15, 2011, 07:25:01 am »

Suggestion: Add a button to launch DF from Soundsense or have Soundsense launch DF automatically.

I ask this because for whatever reason, I can't seem to make a batch file launch soundsense; all it does is open up a command prompt. Probably because SoundSense opens a cmd window of it's own.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #484 on: June 22, 2011, 06:13:11 am »

Quick technical question. Does the log output distinguish between types of ranged weapon, and are there any current or future plans to include separate sounds for them? I'd really like to add a sound pack to my current modding project.

It can be done - part of message is item used (bolt, arrow ...), so it can be distinguished.

I supposed you want to add guns and bullets, eh?

Suggestion: Add a button to launch DF from Soundsense or have Soundsense launch DF automatically.

I ask this because for whatever reason, I can't seem to make a batch file launch soundsense; all it does is open up a command prompt. Probably because SoundSense opens a cmd window of it's own.

are you calling soundSense.bat in your batch file? I suppose you could edit that one to include launching dwarf fotress instead...

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »

To anyone who's interested:
I have made a small tutorial video for the resilient lazy newbs to show what soundsense is along with a small how to (not that its needed but still :P)

Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88207.0
Direct Link to Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbnK4QgmfXI

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 06, 2011, 12:58:50 am »

Still keep getting Java crashes or "Java has stopped working" whenever I try to start this :/ Win 7, 64bit.
Attached log.

You might want to try disabling iZ3D stereo mode - java hates some 3D displays and its driver is where it crashed.

*roars and shakes fists*

Didn't help to disable the driver, by the way. I have now uninstalled it completely and Soundsense now runs fine. Thanks for catching this! I've decided to permanently get rid of iZ3D. It's a nice gimmick, but waay too buggy for common fun.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 11, 2011, 06:04:38 am »

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but if too many sounds play at once, SoundSense exits itself. The command window is still running, however and it isn't showing any error. The command window acts as if it's still running.

Most notable example I've encountered many times, (Well, every time I've done it) is when I breach the caverns. Massively loud sound of the "Mineral found", to the point where if I'm quick enough, I have to take my earphones off, then application crashes.

Another issue is the sound lagging behind, or the getting very quiet/muted all together. An example would be my legendary Stonecrafter churning out stuff. The announcement window fills with "Masterwork created" and SoundSense dims the music and plays the "Domm..." to announce the masterwork item. But since he keeps making more and more, the music will go from normal, low, nor-, low, until it either my Stonecrafter is finished, or all sounds mute, despite them being shown as playing and new sounds popping up in the "list".

I did search the topic.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:06:42 am by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2011, 02:32:54 am »

Here is idea for anyone that wants to help-out:

wiki page for ss is still empty and it looks like good place to hold faq/frequent issues, stuff from readme is good starting point for that i guess: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:SoundSense

Still keep getting Java crashes or "Java has stopped working" whenever I try to start this :/ Win 7, 64bit.
Attached log.

You might want to try disabling iZ3D stereo mode - java hates some 3D displays and its driver is where it crashed.

*roars and shakes fists*

Didn't help to disable the driver, by the way. I have now uninstalled it completely and Soundsense now runs fine. Thanks for catching this! I've decided to permanently get rid of iZ3D. It's a nice gimmick, but waay too buggy for common fun.

Glad to hear this was resolved!

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but if too many sounds play at once, SoundSense exits itself. The command window is still running, however and it isn't showing any error. The command window acts as if it's still running.

Most notable example I've encountered many times, (Well, every time I've done it) is when I breach the caverns. Massively loud sound of the "Mineral found", to the point where if I'm quick enough, I have to take my earphones off, then application crashes.

Another issue is the sound lagging behind, or the getting very quiet/muted all together. An example would be my legendary Stonecrafter churning out stuff. The announcement window fills with "Masterwork created" and SoundSense dims the music and plays the "Domm..." to announce the masterwork item. But since he keeps making more and more, the music will go from normal, low, nor-, low, until it either my Stonecrafter is finished, or all sounds mute, despite them being shown as playing and new sounds popping up in the "list".

I did search the topic.

Too many explorable sounds, anything bad happening in this case in definitelly not intentiona - but i suppose it can be easily fixed, you can cap sounds on some saner level, edit

Code: [Select]
packs\mining\mining.xml
and change concurency on this line to something smaller, like ~4:

Code: [Select]
<sound logPattern="You have struck (.+)!" concurency="32">
As for music - if sfx is playing, music gets toned down and then returns to normal volume over few secconds so that it would not drown effects or speech, that is intentional.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 25, 2011, 12:04:56 pm »

Hey Zwel,

A question that has been lost in history of time and asked way to often... Will sound sense one day be available for Mac users?

I'm sure the Lazy Newb Pack would be more easily converted for mac user if the "parts" of it were also available for Mac.

Also, have you ever had a look at newgrounds.com audio submission? There is an epic number of insanely good quality music there all over a creative common license. Here are the details :

Attribution: You must give credit to the artist.

Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist under another license.

Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this music, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

I just can't wait to get a tantrum spiral with that baby "on" n_n

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 29, 2011, 10:58:06 am »

When I do ./soundSense.sh in the terminal it gives me
could not find or load main class cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
When I do java -jar soundSense.jar instead, it outputs
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IprogressCallback
[ ... ]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cz.zweistein.autoupdater.callback.IProgressCallback

Something to do with not being able to automatically update? The program doesn't start with either method. I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit.

-snip- mac version?
You should be able to, it's based off java. I'm not sure what the method would be, though.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #491 on: July 30, 2011, 10:33:02 am »

New release: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_30_139.zip

Fixed bug with positioning of sounds
Added ETA and data rate display to updater
Moved most of readme.txt to wiki page ( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:SoundSense )

Also, soundpack got some small fixes (sounds for magma forges loosing power, mining sounds, etc...)

Did you know that ghostly babies continue to age? They can grow up to ghostly children!

When I do ./soundSense.sh in the terminal it gives me
could not find or load main class cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
When I do java -jar soundSense.jar instead, it outputs
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cz/zweistein/autoupdater/callback/IprogressCallback
[ ... ]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cz.zweistein.autoupdater.callback.IProgressCallback

Something to do with not being able to automatically update? The program doesn't start with either method. I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit.

There was bug in .sh file reported few pages ago - classpath did not include new autoupdater. Fix should be incorporated in new version, but i can not test it as i have no linux instalation at hand.

-snip- mac version?
You should be able to, it's based off java. I'm not sure what the method would be, though.

IIRC, some people managed to get it running on mac - it is plain java and should not be all that difficult to get it working.

axytry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 30, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  Ok, back to important stuff.

Moved most of readme.txt to wiki page ( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:SoundSense )

Also, soundpack got some small fixes (sounds for magma forges loosing power, mining sounds, etc...)
I love the SoundSense utility, music and sounds are great and they are wonderful additions to df.
But, there is a problem with playback of some specific files from soundpack in java on linux as some guys reported it to you already.
SoundSense throws exceptions: javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: could not get audio input stream from input file: could not get audio input stream from input file.
When it happens while playing game, SoundSense tries to open file repeatedly and cpu spikes into the sky
Files that couse troubles are:
./packs/seasons/spring2.mp3
./packs/seasons/Peer Gynt - grieg - in the hall of the mountain king.mp3
./packs/seasons/10s_silence.mp3
I managed to 'fix' that files by convertig them to wav and to mp3 with lame encoder , so data in them is  not corrupted in some substantial way.
Did creation process of that files varied from processes for the rest of the files?
About linux installation for testing purposes - have you considered running let's say ubuntu in virtualbox? Installation takes like half an hour or you can grab one of ready disk images with it preinstalled? It would also resolve problem with wrong line-endings in soundSense.sh file :)
--
axsytry
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:53:46 pm by axytry »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2011, 03:30:51 pm »

Hey, I saw the post on the wiki requesting feedback, and so I thought I'd offer my experiences with it.

First of all let me say this is a really cool idea.  I like the way it works, by reading the gamelog.  I think that's really creative.  And I think it has a lot of potential.  Those are kind of disclaimers, because I wasn't really into the program, even though I think it's really cool.

I think that the program is cool, but I found the soundpack problematic.  For one thing, there were sounds-- multiple sounds, frequently-- for banal activity.  This meant that, for instance, I couldn't listen to music at the same time, or if I did, I would be using soundsense to no purpose.  The variety of sounds makes sense if you're trying to make a soundscape for DF, but I was hoping that I could get an auditory cue for important events so that I could easily do other things and let DF run, and for that, the variety of sounds were a problem, because I didn't necessarily know what each sound referred to, and it didn't seem like I was going to learn that with so many different sounds.

I thought about editing the sound pack, and looked into it, but what I found were about a bazillion sounds.  Even deleting the ones that I didn't want to hear seemed like it wouldn't be worth the trouble.  I also didn't notice any parses along the lines of "The [any dwarven profession] gives into pain!" and I wasn't sure if that was possible with the setup-- handling events differently based on subject/object.  For instance, I would love to know when one of my dwarves is injured, but I don't want to know every time that a goblin is injured.  I might want to know when a goblin swings at a dwarf, but not want to know when a dwarf swings at a dwarf (as it's likely to just be sparring-- and I can pause on berserk anyways).  I probably care a lot more about doors being destroyed, when they're not being destroyed by a troll, and I don't care if it's a hatch or a door.

It seems like there's an effort to making a complete sound file, but I think that maybe if that sound file was LESS complete, I would have gotten more out of soundsense.  If that sound pack had been more abstract, that would have improved my experience even more-- it's the difference between my computer dinging and saying, "You've got mail!" and I prefer the former.  If there are any earlier versions of soundpacks, with less variety, with more focus on important events, I think it'd be cool if you offered them for download, instead of just the megapack.

I hope this is taken in the right way-- I don't mean to suggest you have to listen to me and make soundsense the way I want it to be.  That would be really presumptuous of me.  I appreciate the existence of soundsense for the sake of the people that enjoy it, and I appreciate everybody going to all this work to be helpful to the DF community.  I'm just offering this feedback in case it's useful to anyone somehow.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 30, 2011, 07:09:35 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  Ok, back to important stuff.

I love the SoundSense utility, music and sounds are great and they are wonderful additions to df.
But, there is a problem with playback of some specific files from soundpack in java on linux as some guys reported it to you already.
SoundSense throws exceptions: javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: could not get audio input stream from input file: could not get audio input stream from input file.
When it happens while playing game, SoundSense tries to open file repeatedly and cpu spikes into the sky
Files that couse troubles are:
./packs/seasons/spring2.mp3
./packs/seasons/Peer Gynt - grieg - in the hall of the mountain king.mp3
./packs/seasons/10s_silence.mp3
I managed to 'fix' that files by convertig them to wav and to mp3 with lame encoder , so data in them is  not corrupted in some substantial way.
Did creation process of that files varied from processes for the rest of the files?
About linux installation for testing purposes - have you considered running let's say ubuntu in virtualbox? Installation takes like half an hour or you can grab one of ready disk images with it preinstalled? It would also resolve problem with wrong line-endings in soundSense.sh file :)
--
axsytry

I looked into Peer Gynt - grieg - in the hall of the mountain king.mp3 because I could get the source file listed in the soundpack a while ago.
zwei said he uses mp3 gain on the files so I looked into if it was breaking some of the files. My results are quoted below in case they were missed before.

Nice detective work :-)

I use mp3gain ( http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ ) to normalize volume. Supposdely, it should be lossless operation. Oh well...

Could you try using it on files you downloaded and see if it could be the cause of the problems?
mp3gain did not break the files running in linux (I havent tested mp3 gain in windows yet).

Edit: mp3gain running in windows did break the files for Soundsense running in linux.  md5 comparison of the output files shows that mp3gain produces different results in windows and linux. 
I found that mp3gain running in linux does not break the files if you want to use it.

I suspect that when you converted to wave and back to mp3 the process erased the error that causes the java sound plugin to be unable to play the file.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 105