Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571933 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:35 pm »

I used to listen to them a bit.  They either used to be rhapsody of fire and then became just rhapsody or the other way around.  Iunno, but I see both names commonly.

They do have pretty good music.  Except I ended up hearing way too much Emerald Sword (coworker had one of those ipod speaker things) and their lead singer started grating on my nerves.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »

Oh you guys, you're so awesome. Just saying :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2011, 05:17:36 am »

I promise to re-do the combat sounds soon.

I am looking forward to that, but feel free to take your time  :) !

(I am also kinda looking forward for exapnded animal sounds btw ...)

Alright, this is a bit odd. A few days ago this was working perfectly fine, suddenly, its giving me errors about Java. Currently re-downloading Java, hopefully that fixes it. Will update when its done.

EDIT: Yeah, every time I start up soundsense of java, it crashes immediately.

Can you provide me more detailed info - some message, commandline output, anything?

On that note, I'm actually trying to replace that song with another one and having some problems. Simply renaming my own song and putting it in place of the worldgen track doesn't work. I read over the customization documents but it didn't point to me needing to do anything more involved. The new track is a 10mg MP3. Any ideas?

Not sure what might be happening. Is "old" sound still playing in worldgen or are you getting silence? Did you restart ss?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #408 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:33 am »

(new release is up - tiny improvement to soundpack updater, but there are no changes to soundpack so it is meh for everyone, BUT linus/mac start script was fixed so it should work again on those oses)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2011, 07:39:44 am »

Last line on your website, main page.

"Current developlemt goals"

"Current developlemt goals"

thermite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2011, 05:05:31 am »

I use linux so I thought I would let you know about some wrinkles I had and subsequently ironed out.

If you use a newer version of Soundsense it is important to use the sun version of Java or else it won't work and give you errors about mute not being supported. On my computer Sun Java taps into the sound system in a clunky way so that Soundsense  couldn't play more than one sound at a time. When it couldn't it would give an error like:
Code: [Select]
10/04/2011 02:37:26.309: Exception with ./packs/mining/52143__blaukreuz__imp_01.mp3: javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_SIGNED 48000.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.: line with format PCM_SIGNED 48000.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.

To fix that problem I used aoss (which is provided by the alsa-oss package in ubuntu) to run java.

The last line of soundsense.sh could be changed to something like:
Code: [Select]
if [ -e /usr/bin/aoss ] ; then
  aoss java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
else 
  java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
fi

I suppose there is the chance that it could screw something up for someone else but it works well for me. Besides if aoss isn't installed (or at least where we expect it) then it will also do what it did before. I do remember seeing someone in this thread who had problems on Linux when 3 sounds played simultaneously and this might fix that. Also when you save the soundsense.sh file make sure you save it using UNIX style line feeds so that it will run properly.

Keep up the good work.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #411 on: April 14, 2011, 04:19:04 am »

I use linux so I thought I would let you know about some wrinkles I had and subsequently ironed out.

Thanks for help, I shall include this for next version.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #412 on: April 16, 2011, 05:01:21 am »

So, I went ahead and made updater prettier and more informative:

(work in progress)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 16, 2011, 05:10:33 am »

Hi, I am adding vocalizations to all DF animals. It is in my mod but I can release it as a separate package.

It would be nice if soundsense registered those sounds ("you hear a loud barking" or "you hear a haunting moo") :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2011, 05:35:42 am »

So, new release is up:

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_28_130.zip

- some small fixes
- auto updater should be more friendly
- new propability parameter for sounds that controls likelihood of one being played - one more tool to handle spammy stuff.

Also, updated soundpack with sounds for webs and forgotten beasts breath attacks amongst other small tweaks is avaiable via autoupdate.

Hi, I am adding vocalizations to all DF animals. It is in my mod but I can release it as a separate package.

It would be nice if soundsense registered those sounds ("you hear a loud barking" or "you hear a haunting moo") :).

Hey,

If it appears in log, there should be no problem. I have not yet met vocalizing animal so can't tell.

I am, of course, interested in registering those. It would be kinda silly to ignore actual sound sounds :)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2011, 07:52:09 am »

Is there any dying sound other than the default Wilhelm scream?
If not, should I try and make some? Dogs, cows, pigs and cats shouldn't be very difficult at the very least.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 16, 2011, 08:30:58 am »

If not, should I try and make some? Dogs, cows, pigs and cats shouldn't be very difficult at the very least.

Am I the only one here who suddenly had a thought of some guy with Oglokoog's avatar's head walking through downtown with a bloody knife and high quality sound recording equipment, asking passerby about where he can find the nearest pig and cow?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ha! Exactly what I tought! Hide the pigs!
Loving life every second

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #418 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:17 am »

Hey, It's tantrum spiral time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX3piF5ww8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LjuCxIRJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyZsU5df_0

Actually, there is, i also added ''gutwrenching scream", less overused brother of Wilhelm, to latest pack.

As for animals ... well, don't do anything illegal, okay? Just remember that they should be distinct enough from birth sounds.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:51:19 pm by zwei »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 16, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »

Yes, you see the exact string you enter in the vocalization RAWs, and it shows in your changelog. So it's TOTALLY customizable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 105