Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Lobster Shell Armour  (Read 1556 times)

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
Giant Lobster Shell Armour
« on: June 27, 2010, 01:22:17 am »

As my first modding project, I wanted something modest to start with but something cool for my lobster king hermit dwarf.

Though I read there were some problems with lobsters giving off shells and with shell crafts.
I'd planned to create a giant lobster creature that would give off a giant shell material, is there any problems there?

I also noticed that the vermin cave lobsters have    [VERMIN_FISH] & [VERMIN_NOFISH] virtually right next to one another. What's all that about?

Thanks a bunch, and I'm still using 31.06 because of Dwarf Therapist support
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Lobster Shell Armour
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:35:06 am »

As my first modding project, I wanted something modest to start with but something cool for my lobster king hermit dwarf.

Though I read there were some problems with lobsters giving off shells and with shell crafts.
I'd planned to create a giant lobster creature that would give off a giant shell material, is there any problems there?

I also noticed that the vermin cave lobsters have    [VERMIN_FISH] & [VERMIN_NOFISH] virtually right next to one another. What's all that about?

Thanks a bunch, and I'm still using 31.06 because of Dwarf Therapist support

dwarf therapist supports 31.08, but you need to update a file, go check their thread.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:38:23 am »

Oh yes, I just had a look. They updated since I posted this :P

From what I saw on the bug reports, the shell crafting still seems to be bugged in 31.08
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

ObliqueFault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:19 am »

Good question.  It might explain why I haven't been able to find the little suckers.  They also lack the [NOTRAP] tag that most fish have.  Maybe now they're supposed to be trapped somehow instead of fished?  That would be more consistent with how real lobsters are caught, albeit much more challenging.

I'll do some research on this later today.

ObliqueFault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »

It seems the [VERMIN_NOFISH] tag prevents them from being caught with the fishing labor.

Cave lobsters do give off shells as of v31.08, but the dwarves don't recognize them as shells and give you a "needs unrotten shell item" message when you try to make something with them.  I don't know if they work for strange moods.

The problem is that the shells are made of CHITIN instead of SHELL.  It's definitely possible to change their material, here's how:

1) Open b_detail_plan_default and find [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS].  Look about 20 lines under that for [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:SHELL:ARG1:100].  Change that to [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:SHELL:SHELL:100].

2) Add the tags [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] and [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] to the cave lobster raw, and your giant lobster raw if you make them.

However, I can tell you from personal experience that shell crafts are still bugged in this version, and no amount of modding will change that.  Toady will get around to fixing it eventually, I'm sure.  In the meantime, at least your lobsters can be useful for strange moods.